Beetroot in Pregnancy – Health Benefits and Side Effects
- Is It Safe to Consume Beetroot During Pregnancy?
- Nutritional Value of Beetroot
- Amazing Benefits of Consuming Beetroot During Pregnancy
- Are There Any Risks Associated With Eating Beetroot During Pregnancy?
- Precautions to Take While Consuming Beetroot When Pregnant
- How to Add Beetroot to Your Pregnancy Diet?
- Beetroot Recipes to Try During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a crucial phase, and you must take care of your diet during this time. Eating healthy and nutritious food is recommended during this time. Beetroot is, no doubt, a healthy root vegetable that is consumed all over the world. It also proves useful and beneficial for a pregnant woman. If you’re pregnant and enjoy eating beetroot, you must know how it can help you. Read on to learn about the benefits of eating beetroot during pregnancy below. We have also talked about some fewer known risks of eating vegetables when pregnant and some delicious beetroot recipes you can try making at home.
Is It Safe to Consume Beetroot During Pregnancy?
Yes, it is completely safe to eat beetroot when pregnant. In fact, the unique nutritional value of beetroot makes them a healthy food to include in your pregnancy diet.
Nutritional Value of Beetroot
Let’s take a look at the nutritional value of beetroot below.
Amazing Benefits of Consuming Beetroot During Pregnancy
Beets are rich in many nutrients and components that are helpful for the growing foetus. Some of the beetroot benefits in pregnancy include:
1. Boosts Immunity
The antioxidants present in beetroot may help improve your immunity and protect against infections during pregnancy.
2. Lowers the Risk of Osteoporosis
Pregnant women are known to be at a higher risk of osteoporosis – a condition that makes the bones brittle and weak. Beets have a good portion of silica and calcium, which can keep your teeth and bones strong.
3. Regulates Metabolism
Beets are a rich source of potassium, hence, consuming them can balance your electrolytes and regulate metabolism. They are also known to maintain blood pressure levels during pregnancy.
4. Prevents Inflammation
5. Helps Maintain the Blood Sugar Levels
Beetroot, being a low-glycemic food, takes longer to convert into glucose and absorb into the blood. This can help maintain your blood sugar levels.
6. Aids Fetal Development
Rich in folic acid, beetroot promote healthy growth and development of your baby. They also aid in developing your baby’s spinal cord and brain too.
7. Promotes a Healthy Liver
Betacyanin present in beets can help detoxify your liver and blood. It also eliminates fatty acids and toxins from your body, ensuring a healthy pregnancy.
8. Provides Vitamin C
The Vitamin C content in beetroot aids in the absorption of iron and paves the way for a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
9. Prevents Birth Defects
Folic acid present in beetroot promotes the growth of healthy tissues and foetal development. It also prevents birth defects like spina bifida by ensuring optimal development of the spinal cord.
10. Prevent Anaemia
Iron deficiency anaemia is quite common during pregnancy. It can result in symptoms like fatigue and weakness. Therefore, pregnant women must include iron-rich foods in their diet, and beetroot is a great source of iron.
Are There Any Risks Associated With Eating Beetroot During Pregnancy?
Despite its numerous health benefits, there are a few side effects of beetroot during pregnancy:
- Beetroot contains betaine, and if consumed in excess, it may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea, and other gastrointestinal problems.
- The nitrate content in beets can cause fatigue and weakness during pregnancy.
- Consuming beetroot in excess may also lead to a condition called beeturia which can turn your urine and stools red in colour.
- The oxalate content in beetroot may cause kidney stones if consumed in excess.
- Beetroot might cause low calcium levels.
- The beetroot juice has the power to temporarily paralyse vocal cords.
Precautions to Take While Consuming Beetroot When Pregnant
Here are some precautions you must take while consuming beetroot during pregnancy.
- Wash beetroot thoroughly.
- Cook the beetroot properly.
- Consume it in moderation as it has high nitrate content.
How to Add Beetroot to Your Pregnancy Diet?
Once the morning sickness and nausea subsides, you’ll be able to eat without feeling the urge to throw up. This is when you can start adding beets, along with other vegetables, to your diet. Eating beetroot in the second trimester is a great way to stack up on the nutrients that promote a healthy pregnancy and childbirth. Here are some ways to add beetroot to your pregnancy diet.
- Slice the beetroot and combine them with other vegetables to make a salad.
- Bake the beetroot with other vegetables or eat them roasted.
- Boil beets and season them with salt and pepper to make a healthy dish.
- Grate the beet and add to the dough to make crunchy parathas or tortillas.
Beetroot Recipes to Try During Pregnancy
Now that you know beetroot is good for pregnancy, let’s take a look at some yummy beetroot recipes to try during pregnancy.
1. Beetroot Juice
Beetroot juice is loaded with vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants. It can be very beneficial during pregnancy. Find out how you can make beetroot juice.
- Beetroot (raw/ boiled) – 1-2 (cut into small pieces)
- Ginger (grated) – an inch
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Water as required
- In a blender, take beetroot, add the grated ginger, and some water, and blend to smooth paste.
- Strain the liquid into a glass.
- Add a tbsp of lemon juice and give it a stir and drink.
2. Beetroot Salad
There’s nothing more delicious and nutritious than a beetroot salad. If you want to include beetroot salad in your pregnancy diet, here’s a recipe you can try.
- Medium-sized beetroot (peeled, boiled and cut into cubes) – 1-2
- Paneer cubes/ Hung curd – 1 cup
- Curry leaves – 4-5
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, take the boiled beetroot cubes and paneer cubes/ hung curd.
- Add in the salt and black pepper, and mix well.
- Now, heat a wok and add oil to it.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Let them splutter and after 10-15 seconds transfer this tempering on to the salad. Cover the bowl with a lid.
- Mix well after a few minutes then enjoy your beetroot-paneer salad.
3. Beetroot Powder
Beetroot powder is great to be added to water or juices.
- Beetroot – 1
- Peel a fresh beetroot and cut it into thin slices.
- Let the beets dry naturally or in an oven on low heat.
- Blend the dry beets and store the powder in an airtight container.
4. Beetroot Tea
A unique tasting caffeine-free tea that offers many health benefits.
- 1-quart water
- 4 beets, peeled and finely shredded
- ½ cup honey
- 2 lemons, freshly squeezed for juice
- 4 sprigs mint
- Boil water and add beets, lemon juice, and honey to it.
- Let it boil, and then turn off the heat.
- Let the tea steep for about 20 minutes.
- Strain and serve the tea with a sprig of mint and ice.
5. Beetroot Halwa
Yummy beetroot halwa to satisfy your sweet cravings during pregnancy
- 2 medium-sized beetroots
- 1tsp oil
- 1½ cup + ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- Pinch of salt
- Nuts, chopped, for garnishing
- Peel and grate the beetroot.
- Take oil in a saucepan and add the grated beetroot.
- Sauté it for about three minutes.
- Add 1½ cups of water salt, stir well and let it cook completely.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4th cup water and add it to the cooked beetroot and mix properly.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, and cook for another five minutes.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with nuts and serve.
1. Is It Safe to Consume Beetroot Powder During Pregnancy?
Yes, you can consume beetroot powder when pregnant.
While it’s important to consume beetroot during pregnancy, it shouldn’t be consumed in excess. Limit your beetroot intake to one a day. Better yet, consult your gynaecologist or nutritionist before making it a part of your pregnancy diet.
1. Beetroot juice can reduce blood pressure in pregnancy, but why do some people not respond?; tommys.org; https://www.tommys.org/research/research-topics/pregnancy-complication-research/pre-eclampsia/beetroot-juice-can-reduce-blood-pressure-pregnancy-can-we-predict-which-women-will-respond
2. 9 Benefits of Beetroot in Pregnancy; newkidscenter.org; https://www.newkidscenter.org/Beetroot-in-Pregnancy.html
3. Beets, raw; fdc.nal.usda.gov; https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/169145/nutrients
4. Beets, raw; nutritionvalue.org; https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Beets%2C_raw_nutritional_value.html
5. 5 Health Benefits of Beets; health.clevelandclinic.org; https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-health-benefits-of-beets/