Apnea Monitor – Benefits, Risks and Safety Tips
- What Is an Apnea Monitor?
- Why There Is a Need of Sids Monitor for Your Baby?
- Benefits of Apnea Monitor
- Risk of Apnea Monitor
- How to Use an Apnea Monitor?
- Safety Tips While Using Apnea Monitor for Baby
- Baby’s Skincare While Using SIDS Monitor
- How Long Will Baby Stay On SIDS Monitor?
- What You Should Do If SIDS Monitor Alarm Sounds?
- When to Call a Doctor
What Is an Apnea Monitor?
An apnea monitor for preemies is a wearable device that tracks your baby’s heartbeat and oxygen levels. There are several apnea monitors, including ones for babies and adults. Most of these devices are connected to your baby’s feet and can be used by adults and children. These wearable trackers are designed to monitor your baby’s health and help prevent apnea in both types of patients.
Why There Is a Need of Sids Monitor for Your Baby?
Although expensive, physicians and scientists feel these gadgets are necessary for SIDS prevention. In addition, researchers have noticed that high-risk neonates’ respiration is not always impeded. The monitoring equipment cannot distinguish high-risk kids from low-risk kids, and a different monitoring system may be wiser. Reasons to get a SIDS sleep apnea monitor for home usage for your infant include the following.
1. Your Infant Kid Was Born Prematurely
An infant born before 37 weeks has a greater risk of experiencing apnea. Apnea is often characterized as a period of shallow or no breathing. When your infant’s breathing is interrupted, their heart rate may slow.
2. Your Child Had a Short Inexplicable Experience (BRUE)
A BRUE happens when your baby’s respiration suddenly ceases, and they remain unresponsive.
3. Your Newborn’s Sibling Passed Away Due to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
SIDS is described as the untimely death of a sleeping newborn under one year; however, nobody is sure about the reason for such deaths.
Benefits of Apnea Monitor
If your kid has sleep apnea, you may want to consider purchasing a baby apnea monitor. Some of the benefits of cardiac apnea monitor are:
- The Device Will Notify You: It is critical to monitor your baby’s heart and breathing rates if they have apnea. The gadget will sound an alert if your baby’s heart rate falls below a certain level or if your youngster has a lengthy period of respiratory stoppage. This monitor is essential since it enables you to check your baby’s breathing and heart rate continuously. The alert can notify you when your newborn is experiencing apnea, which may help you avoid a problem.
- Help You Identify Apneic Children: The monitoring equipment may assist you in determining whether or not your child is apneic. The monitor will warn you when your baby stops breathing, which is the most visible indicator of apnea. This monitor is also helpful for detecting variations in heart rate. It may assist you in preventing sleep apnea in your kid by providing critical information. Apnea is quite frequent in toddlers, and any newborn might develop apnea.
- Detects Variations in Heart Rate and Breathing: “What does an apnea monitor detect?” Yet another benefit of employing an apnea monitor is that it can detect changes in heart rate and breathing patterns. Additionally, it aids in determining the kind of apnea your infant has. Apnea is classified into two primary types: central obstructive and mixed. Selecting the appropriate monitor for your kid will help avoid overdiagnosis and even save their life.
- Assist Avoid Overdiagnosis: Apart from ensuring safety, a baby monitor may also prevent overdiagnosis. Overdiagnosis arises in the case of apnea when an exact discovery of a problem is not beneficial to the patient. A single false alert may set off a chain of events. For example, a parent may get panicked when the low pulse oximetry alert on a consumer apnea monitor sounds. Inadequate interpretation of this data may jeopardize the kid and result in excessive expenses.
Risk of Apnea Monitor
A possible consequence is skin pain caused by the electrodes linked to your baby’s skin, and this is not a significant worry in light of the project’s setting. Unless your apnea monitor is fitted with a backup battery, it is conceivable that it will not operate if you lose power or encounter other electrical difficulties.
Consult your home health care provider to see if your monitor has a battery backup system. If this is the case, you must understand how to maintain a constant charge on the battery.
How to Use an Apnea Monitor?
When a home health care company comes to your home to teach you how to operate a monitor, the authorities deem it an emergency. They will help you as long as you use the computer monitor. If you encounter difficulties with the monitor, you should contact the manufacturer.
Follow these procedures to make use of the SIDS prevention monitor:
- To use the electrode patches (also known as stick-on patches) or the belt, you must place them on your baby’s chest or stomach.
- The connectors connect the cords from the electrodes to the computer display.
- Turn on the computer monitor and keyboard.
Safety Tips While Using Apnea Monitor for Baby
Despite the benefits of the device, you need to exercise precaution when using it. So, keep the below things in mind:
- Applying powders or lotions to your baby’s skin before attaching the monitor is not recommended. These will interfere with the sensors’ ability to perform their functions appropriately.
- If any sticky pads are on display, they should be removed and replaced. In general, you should not change these sticky pads more often than recommended by the service provider.
- Your contact may cause the skin of your baby to become irritated.
Baby’s Skincare While Using SIDS Monitor
When using a SIDS monitor, you must take further care to preserve your baby’s sensitive skin. When using a SIDS monitor, there are many different types of skincare.
- Apply a mild moisturizer to your baby’s skin before putting them to sleep.
- The second kind is to abstain from using lotions or creams before bed.
- To prevent suffocation, ensure that your newborn sleeps on its back on a firm mattress.
- Keep pillows, blankets, and soft animals out of the crib.
- Avoid applying lotions or powders to your baby’s skin before connecting the monitor. These will block the sensors from functioning properly.
- Remove any adhesive pads from the display and replace them as directed by the manufacturer. You should not change sticky pads more often than recommended by the service provider since you risk inflaming your baby’s skin.
How Long Will Baby Stay On SIDS Monitor?
The frequency with which actual warnings are heard determines how long your kid will be on the monitor at any one moment. Real-time notifications notify you if your baby’s heart rate is not steady or if they are having difficulties breathing for any reason.
It is conceivable that the alarm may activate if your baby moves throughout the night. However, it is conceivable that the baby’s heart rate and breathing are within normal ranges. Because your kid is moving about, you shouldn’t be anxious about alarms going off in your house.
Babies are often required to wear a home apnea monitor for 2 to 3 months before being released from the hospital. You should discuss how long your baby will need to be observed with your infant’s healthcare provider.
What You Should Do If SIDS Monitor Alarm Sounds?
Taking prompt action when the alarm sounds are crucial. However, make sure to keep the below process in mind when taking any action:
- Take a glance at your baby every time the monitor alarm goes off. A slack belt or sticky pad might cause a false alarm in some instances.
- A low battery might potentially cause a false alarm to be sounded. Monitor your child to ensure they are securely attached and fully charged battery.
- If your baby’s breathing has stopped, remain calm. Keep in mind that your baby’s doctor has supplied you with detailed instructions on caring for your child.
- The provider may urge you to gently massage your baby’s back, arms, and legs to persuade them to breathe.
- Do not shake your youngster at all. There is a chance that this might cause permanent brain damage.
- To restart the monitor, hit the reset button as soon as your baby starts to breathe.
- Suppose your infant does not begin to breathe after you have followed all of the instructions, do CPR on them. Immediately dial 911.
When to Call a Doctor
In emergencies, it is best to call for professional help. So, if you observe any of the following situations, call for your doctor:
- If a patient suspects they have sleep apnea, they should consult a doctor right once.
- Even if it isn’t essential, wearing a tracker before the appointment may help you provide the doctor with valuable information.
- The same will detect how often apnea happens and its impact on the quality of rest.
You may get information about your breathing patterns as you sleep with the help of an apnea monitor. Monitors keep track of things like breathing rates, blood oxygen levels, and heart rates, among other things. This includes checking their body temperature and whether or not they’ve fallen backwards onto their tummies. In terms of pricing, these monitors come in several configurations and sizes. It’s vital to choose a device suitable for the user’s needs in every way, including how comfortable it is. Anyone who has any reason to believe they may be affected by sleep apnea should consult a doctor right away.
How to Choose a Baby Monitor
Apnea of Prematurity in Babies
Checking Your Newborn Breathing