Last Updated on
When you are 29 weeks pregnant with twins or triplets, foetal development will be the most critical thing about which you and your doctor will be concerned. At this stage, your babies will begin to develop a unique sense of identity, and will behave in ways only you would be able to understand, like knowing how and when your babies move and kick. Additionally, any responsibilities that you need to take care of for the family and your babies will need to be wrapped up in the next few weeks, as you shouldn’t be working or stressing yourself in the coming months.
The Growth of the Babies at 29 Weeks
The growth of your babies will reach a point of slowdown, but only in matters of their length and size. The growth of most babies begins to plateau on these fronts by the 29th week, but their weight keeps increasing substantially. It can reach nearly thrice of what it might be at the current stage, and can give your back a hard time.
Any hair that was present on the skin of the babies will now find its way out rapidly in this week. The vernix covering their skin would start thinning, as their skin gets thicker with fat deposits, keeping them safe. If there are tiny remnants of hair that stay even after your babies are born, those, too, will go away in a few weeks post birth.
The movements of your babies will get a new, energetic vibe. With the amniotic fluid surrounding them and providing them with a natural medium for movement, their kicks, punches, stretches, thumb sucking periods, acrobatics, and other activities will reach their zenith. These activities are quite essential for their development, and they also help the mother get a fair idea of how their babies are progressing. Knowing that your children are active around specific time periods of the day can reassure you of their well-being, and if you feel something is wrong, you can intervene immediately.
What Is the Size of the Babies?
This phase of pregnancy focuses more on the weight of the babies than their physical attributes. When looking at their size or length, it would tend to be nearly the same as that of the previous week, hovering close to 38 to 39 centimetres. Their weight, however, would nearly cross a kilogram, or come close to it.
Common Bodily Changes
The bodily changes that a pregnant woman undergoes are more pronounced when she is expecting twins or triplets. Some changes might continue to irritate or agitate you, while some might have more intense effects.
- Constipation during pregnancy is normal, and you will experience it even in the third trimester of your pregnancy. Not only is it difficult to combat, it can be quite irritating, because you don’t want to spend your precious pregnancy time sitting in the bathroom. Two parameters are working in tandem here: first, the two hormones, relaxin and progesterone, relax the body during pregnancy, and second, the size of the uterus is increasing, which tends to disturb the position of the intestines. Since one relaxes the bowel muscles and the other makes it difficult to push out the contents, you will be constipated. To combat this, all you can do is drink a lot of water and eat fibrous foods.
- While you may not attribute haemorrhoids to being a result of the various changes in the body, the truth is that they are indirectly related to all the reasons that cause constipation in the first place. The presence of a backed-up digestive system is what causes many women to strain and apply pressure to pass the stools. This increased strain causes the blood vessels to swell and form haemorrhoids. Furthermore, blood circulation is already at its peak, flowing highly in the lower body region. Therefore, the strain can easily cause haemorrhoids. Handling constipation effectively can keep these in check.
- The relaxation of muscles can cause your intestines not to function with the same strength as they did before. This relaxation also affects smaller muscles within the body that prevent substances from flowing back in the reverse direction. The most significant organ to be affected is the sphincter that separates the stomach from the oesophagus. Once this valve-like muscle is relaxed, the contents of the stomach will begin to find their way back up your throat. Stomach acids will increase in quantity, causing you to feel that acidic burn in your throat. Certain dietary restrictions, combined with a streamlined eating schedule, can reduce its frequency, but won’t treat it completely.
Symptoms of Twin Pregnancy at 29 Weeks
Apart from gaining weight, many other symptoms of pregnancy will resurface around this week.
- The tendency to scratch your belly and itch it all over will get stronger, but you need to be careful not to give in. It is quite natural to feel that way, since your skin is being stretched extensively to house your growing babies, which is causing it to be thinner than usual. This thin layering is what increases its sensitivity, with minor interactions with the surroundings resulting in irritation or itchiness. Scratching the skin can leave red marks that may not fade away after pregnancy. Therefore, invest in a good moisturiser to keep yourself comfortable.
- Your lower body will be stressed. By the 29th week of pregnancy, there will be a lot of pressure on your back, as it supports the increased weight of your tummy. Your hips and leg struggle to keep your balance and posture upright, due to the change in weight and joint strength. The hormones don’t make it easy, either, and your ligaments loosen up. There will also be an undue pressure in various other regions of your body.
- Just when you are making your peace with all these changes and looking forward to much-needed rest, your bladder will awaken you from your slumber. This will be a frequent situation for you, and your bathroom will become your second home.
Twin Pregnancy – Belly at 29 Weeks
The size of your belly will increase and you will feel the urge to itch it. Your stomach will be quite large, and you should feel proud that your babies are developing well. Any slight twitching experienced in the abdominal region would be a result of the tiny hiccups the babies tend to experience. Your uterus would have expanded quite a lot, and you can touch your tummy above your navel to look for its topmost portion.
Twin Pregnancy – Ultrasound at 29 Weeks
Your doctor will suggest an ultrasound scan in the 29th week if something needs to be checked early. Upon doing an ultrasound, you will see that the membrane separating your babies is showing itself in a much clearer way. Your twins’ or triplets’ bodies would also be developing rapidly now, and the head will increase in size to house the brain comfortably.
What to Eat
Babies require a balanced and proper diet for their unhindered growth. Consuming anything harmful will affect the babies directly. So, watch what you eat. Your diet should be rich in calcium and protein during this week. Include a lot of green leafy vegetables and cereals to maintain your haemoglobin levels. Eat fibrous fruits to help constipation.
Pregnancy Care Tips
Prepare yourself for the weeks to come, and stay healthy and calm through the following tips:
- Take maternity leave if you haven’t done so already. Enjoy your time at home.
- Keep a bag ready with all the necessary items that you will require for your delivery.
- Avoid consuming smoked meat or uncooked ingredients.
- Don’t expose yourself to extreme temperatures, as it can be harmful to the child.
What You Need to Buy
With your little ones arriving in a few months, get yourself useful items such as:
Be ecstatic that you are 29 weeks pregnant with twins or triplets! It won’t be long before you will have them in your arms, and your family will be complete, with your beautiful little babies calling you Mommy and looking to you with love.
Previous Week: Twin Pregnancy Week 28
Next Week: Twin Pregnancy Week 30