In this Article
Understanding a baby’s needs is a requirement for every mother, especially when their little one is just a year old. Providing your toddler with the right meal is something that will enhance his body and mind. For many parents, this is a challenge as some babies keep refusing to eat and at times parents are not sure what to feed their toddlers. So here are a few diet plans, tips and food options you can follow.
Best Foods for a Baby/Toddler at this Age
During this period of time, your toddler will be able to start eating certain solid food. So it is important to pick healthy and rich food to help him grow and stay healthy. However, make sure that you are not overfeeding him. Some healthy options are listed below:
Cut fruits into small pieces as this helps your child to pick it up and eat them easily. One thing to note is that fruits should be tiny and chewy. Otherwise, it can choke the baby. For instance, you should cut grapes into pieces rather than serving whole grapes as it can cause choking.
Milk is a must for every toddler. It’s highly nutritious and helps the child’s growth mentally and physically. If you are breastfeeding your baby or if you are giving him cow’s milk, just be sure that you don’t fill his stomach. This will reduce his appetite, and he will not feel like eating solid food.
By this time, your toddler can have most vegetables except for a few like broccoli and cauliflower. However, you can give them these by chopping off the stem and mashing it a little bit. Other vegetables are a healthy option and can be given to them as snacks. You can make them into pieces and give it to them to munch on through the day. A couple of favourite vegetables are mashed potatoes and carrots.
White meat is a great protein source for your toddler. You can cook it and shred it really well to feed your toddler. Meat is an energy booster and keeps your child going through the day. Meat is a great 15 months’ baby food as this is the time when the child becomes extremely active and energetic.
Yoghurt is a highly rich food option to give your toddler. Usually, yoghurt is safe for children from the time they turn 6 to 7 months. This dairy product is full of nutrients and is also a tasty option for your child.
Often parents panic at the thought of giving their baby nuts simply because cases of nut allergies is quite high. Well, if your child is not allergic to nuts, you can start feeding him right from the beginning, when you start with solid food.
A healthy amount of grains for your toddler is 3 ounces per day. This can be provided in
- 1 whole-grain mini bagel.
- 1 slice whole-grain bread.
- 7 refined grain crackers.
- 1/2 English Muffin.
- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal.
Beans is again a healthy snack option for a 14 months’ baby food. One option that most babies tend to like is kidney beans. Three tablespoons of Kidney beans can be given in a day. Kidney beans have the right amount of calorie and no fat, and this is a great source of nutrient for your child.
13 to 16-Month Baby Food Chart/Feeding Schedule:
Figuring out a feeding chart your baby is a task in itself. Here are some options that can help you. You could alternate it and personalize it based on your baby’s likes.
|Half to One Cup Milk||1. Oats, Apple, Porridge
2. Scrambled eggs, Porridge
3. Whole grain muffins
|1. Vegetable sticks
2. Watermelon scoops
2. Ragi Idli
|1. Fruit yoghurt
2. Kidney beans
|1. Rice and yoghurt
2. Mashed potatoes
Homemade Food Recipes for 13 to 16 Months Old:
Homemade recipes are healthy and wholesome for your toddler. Healthy habits will go a long way for your child. So here are some healthy homemade food recipes you can try.
1. Ragi Idli
(This is a healthy food for 16 months old Indian baby. It’s quite easy to prepare as well.)
Ingredients for 10 Idlis
- Idli batter (fermented) – 2 cups
- Ragi flour – ½ cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Warm water – 1/4 cup + 2tbsp
- Salt to taste
How to Prepare
- Mix the flour with warm water in a bowl and make it a thick paste.
- Once the paste is thick, mix it with idli batter and add a little salt.
- Stir it gently.
- Keep it aside for 20 minutes and allow the flour to absorb the batter.
- Meanwhile, boil the water in a steamer and oil the plates.
- Pour the batter into the moulds.
- Put the idli stand into the steamer and allow it to steam for 10 minutes.
- Serve it warm.
2. Purple Puree
Ingredients for 2 ½ Cups
- Blueberries (puree) – 1 1/2 cups
- Spinach – 2 frozen
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 2 tbsp
How to Prepare
- Take spinach in a pan and pour some water.
- Boil it and allow it to simmer for 6 to7 minutes.
- Drain the water.
- Prepare a puree of spinach, blueberry, water, and lemon juice.
- Make sure the texture is smooth
3. Whole-Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients for 12 Servings (for Baby)
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- All-purpose flour – ¾ cup
- Wheat flour – ¾ cup
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Egg – 1
- Low-fat buttermilk – 1 ½ cup
- Egg white – 1
- Maple syrup – ¾ cup
- Cooking spray
- Salt to taste
How to Prepare
- Mix flour, baking soda sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- While whisking add buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg whites in a bowl.
- Add the mixture to the flour mixture.
- Stir well.
- Take a nonstick griddle and apply cooking spray over medium heat.
- Spoon around one big scoop of the mix onto the griddle for one tiny pancake
- Turn over the pancakes when you see it being cooked
- Serve it with syrup and butter.
4. Fiesta Bowl for Toddlers
- Cooked organic brown rice – 2 cups
- Organic canned black beans, well rinsed – 1 can
- Organic corn – 1 cup
- Organic red pepper, finely chopped – 1 cup
- Organic avocado, cut into small sections – 1
- Olive oil or butter – 1 tbsp
- Big handful cilantro
- One lime juice
- Tomatoes – 1 cut out into small pieces
- You can top with favourite salsa optional
- Cheddar cheese/plain yoghurt – optional
- Pumpkin seeds
- Ground turkey, chicken beef or tofu and flavour with some spices
How to Prepare
- You can personalize this dish based on what your baby enjoys to eat.
- You can even make it fun by allowing your child to prepare her bowl.
5. Oven-Roasted Green Beans
Ingredients for ½ Cup
- Green beans (trimmed) – 1 pound
- Extra-virgin olive oil – 2 Tsp
- Sea salt to taste
How to Prepare
- Pre-heat the oven to 425ºCentigrate.
- Place the jelly-roll pan for ten minutes in the oven.
- Mix the beans in a bowl with a pinch of salt and a little oil.
- Place the bean mixture as a single layer on the pre-heat baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
- Serve when it is crisp and tender
Feeding Tips for Toddler (13 To 16 Months)
Over time you have noticed how your tiny one has become very fussy over food. Don’t worry about it; your baby is not an exception. Many toddlers all of a sudden become picky about what they eat. There are a few tips that will help you feed your baby better. You might not be able to make a huge difference, but you can definitely improve his eating habits.
- You might think that babies don’t really care about how things look. Well, that notion is completely false. Little ones are also like us when it comes to being attracted to pretty things. So make sure to make it look good. If you are making sandwiches, you can use cookie cutters to give it a cute shape.
- Make sure to give him the right proportions.
- Don’t force your baby to eat his food. Rather, allow him to eat for himself.
- Avoid too many sweets or items with high sugar content.
- When you make a diet plan for your toddler, add a variety to it and make it appealing. Being repetitive can make your little baby disinterested in food.
- It is vital to give rich and healthy food for 15 months’ baby. Add fresh fruits and raw vegetables in his diet every day. By starting early, you can make it a habit to follow a healthy diet plan.
A baby’s body is constantly growing and changing, and so it is vital for him to have appropriate food as well. Following a rich and planned diet and giving him the space to enjoy his food is something that will help him get into a healthy eating habit, and will also add to his wellbeing.
Also Read: Food Ideas for 17 to 20 Months Old Baby