Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at email@example.com
Last Updated on
Yoga is a great way of staying healthy and fit during pregnancy. Surya Namaskar is a group of asanas in yoga, which is a great total body work out. It is beneficial for improving blood circulation and strengthening various joints and muscles. Therefore, it is also a great way of keeping fit during pregnancy too. Here we shall discuss all doing Surya Namaskar during pregnancy, its benefits and what all precautions you must exercise.
Is It Safe to Do Surya Namaskar in Pregnancy?
The first and foremost thing to consider is, can we do Surya Namaskar during pregnancy? The answer is yes; you can comfortably do Surya Namaskar during pregnancy. It is an ideal form of exercise and helps you work on every muscle of the body. It is not only good for your body, but it also good for your emotional well-being too. You can effectively start doing Surya Namaskar during first-trimester pregnancy. However, please consult your doctor before doing Surya Namaskar during pregnancy.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar
Here are some of the benefits of doing Surya Namaskar during pregnancy:
1. Makes You Feel Energised
Pregnancy can make you feel extremely tired and exhausted, and this is because a lot is happening inside your body. Doing Surya Namaskar on a regular basis can help you regain your lost energy.
2. Helps You Adapt Better
Pregnancy makes your body undergo many physical and emotional changes. Practising this helps the body in adapting with various pregnancy changes in a better way.
3. Helps Your Mood Swings
You may find yourself going through various mood changes throughout the day. One moment you will be happy and the next you can be very sad. This is very normal during pregnancy. However, practising this will help you keep your mood swings under check.
4. Helps in Reducing Morning Sickness
Morning sickness is experienced by most pregnant women and practising this on a regular basis may help you keep your morning sickness at bay.
5. Improved Oxygen Supply to the Foetus
The breathing technique in Surya Namaskar involves deep inhalation and exhalation. This breathing techniques increases oxygen in your body and thus improves oxygen supply to the foetus as well.
6. Helps in Keeping Stress Levels Under Control
The hormonal imbalance in the body may make a pregnant woman go through a lot of emotions, and these may make a pregnant woman go under a lot of mental stress. Surya Namaskar is an effective way of reducing pregnancy-related stress.
7. Beneficial During Labour
Practising this on a regular basis during pregnancy proves to be extremely beneficial during labour too. If you have been practising it regularly during your entire pregnancy, then the intensity of your labour pain may reduce to considerable amounts.
8. Helpful in Backaches and Leg Cramps
Surya Namaskar is very beneficial in strengthening the back muscles and spine. Back pain and leg cramps are very common during pregnancy. However, if you practise it on a daily basis, then you can reduce your chances of having backaches and leg cramps during pregnancy.
9. Helpful in Managing Hypertension
10. Maintains Healthy Pregnancy Weight
Doing Surya Namaskar on a regular basis may ensure healthy weight gain during pregnancy, and thus it would keep off your weight woes.
11. Helps in Overall Well-Being
Practising these exercises regularly during pregnancy helps in various physical and emotional aspects, and this is very beneficial for the overall well-being of a pregnant woman.
Modified Sun Salutation for Pregnant Women
Surya namaskar involves a group of asanas; however, some of these asanas may not be suitable for you as you progress with your pregnancy or when your pregnancy belly grows. Therefore, here we have the modified sun salutation for a pregnant woman that you can try during the later stages in your pregnancy.
- Start with the mountain pose with your feet placed hip-width or more than that.
- Inhale, raise your arms over the head into Utthita Hastasana.
- Exhale, hinge from your hips while folding your legs into Uttanasana.
- Inhale, get your hands towards your shin and with your chest forward, look towards the top of your yoga mat into Ardha Uttanasana.
- Exhale while still looking forward get into Downward Facing Dog Pose.
- Inhale/exhale, move forward with your shoulders over your wrists and with your knees bent, into a modified plank.
- Inhale, kneel your shin and arch your upper back by taking your hands back.
- Exhale, tuck your toes inside and move your hands forward and lift your pelvis up into Downward Facing Dog Pose.
- Inhale, take your hand back towards your feet by keeping your knees aligned with your spine into Ardha Uttanasana.
- Exhale, fold the legs, let your spine hand and release into Uttanasana.
- Inhale, bend your knees a bit and lift yourself up, let your hands reach forward and up too.
- Exhale, get back to mountain pose by placing your one hand on your heart and the other on your belly.
If you feel calm and relaxed and you are breathing normally, you may repeat the modified Surya namaskar a few more times. However, it is recommended that if you feel uneasy or uncomfortable at any given point, stop and discontinue.
Precautions to Take While Doing Surya Namaskar
Here are some things to remember during pregnancy:
1. Get Professional Assistance
Surya Namaskar has many benefits for a pregnant woman, but it is always advisable to seek professional assistance to know the correct way of doing it during pregnancy. If you do not follow the correct way of doing the asanas you may not be able to get the benefits and on the other hand it may harm you or your baby.
2. Do it Regularly
You can avail its benefits only when you are doing it on a regular basis. Random practice may not prove to be that fruitful for you during your pregnancy.
3. Practise Shavasana
You should not undermine the importance of shavanasa after you finish doing Surya Namaskar. If you feel the need to relax and calm yourself in between your Surya Namaskar session, you may do that too.
4. Be Gentle in Your Movements
It is important that you perform all your asanas in a gentle and deliberate manner. Do not force yourself or perform any asanas if you feel any kind of discomfort or pain.
5. Refrain From Doing Surya Namaskar in Case of Complications
If you have any kind of complications in your pregnancy, it is recommended not to strain your body by doing any kind of physical workout without your doctor’s content. Any kind of complications put you under risk and doing Surya Namaskar may further increase your complications.
6. Consult Your Doctor
No matter how healthy or fit you are, you should never start doing Surya Namaskar on your own or without your doctor’s consent. Every pregnancy is different and what may be good for one may not be so for the other. Therefore, your doctor is the best person to guide you if you can safely do Surya Namaskar during pregnancy or not.
The above-mentioned are some of the benefits and tips for practising this yogic exercise during pregnancy. However, it is important that you follow the correct way of doing the asanas and thus take guidance from an expert before you start doing it on your own.