Murmura Chikki Recipe
Puffed rice or murmura is originated from India. It is a type of grain made from rice under high pressure. It is commonly used as a cereal for breakfast and evening snacks. They are light, crunchy and digestible. You can mix it with many other ingredients to make a delicious snack. One of the most healthy and easiest snacks to prepare is murmura chikki. This is also a famous sweet during Lohri/Makar Sankranti festival. It is prepared basically from puffed rice and jaggery. Overflowing with iron, proteins and carbohydrates, this energy-giving snack is ideal for kids.
Type of Meal
Any toddlers above 18 months of age
|Puffed rice (murmura)||3 cups|
- Grease a large plate with little ghee and keep aside.
- Now in a pan, roast murmura on a slow flame till crisp.
- Now add jaggery and water in a pan and melt it down. Bring it to boil and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the jaggery turns light brown while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame and at this point add roasted puffed rice and mix well until all the murmura is covered with jaggery.
- Pour this mixture on to a tray/plate or greased surface and spread it as thin as possible and allow it to cool.
- Let it set for a few hours and cut into desired shapes.
- Store this murmura chikki in an airtight container.
- Yummy puffed rice chikkis are ready to be relished!
Make sure you remember the below mentioned points before you start preparing the healthy and simple Murmura chikki recipe for kids.
- Don’t add more water for jaggery to dissolve, add very little water for jaggery to thicken.
- Quickly spread the puffed rice on the greased plate, otherwise, the puffed rice coated with jaggery becomes difficult to spread as it becomes crisp.
- You can even replace jaggery with brown sugar/normal sugar.
- These chikkis remain fresh for a week if stored in an airtight container.
- It can be had when desired.
Nutrition Information (Per Bar)
|Nutrient||Values per bar|
|Vitamin A||7.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||7.7 mcg|
Puffed rice or murmura is an instant cereal mix for babies and kids. This recipe is a healthy protein mix for babies as puffed rice is rich in protein and carbohydrates and jaggery is rich in iron.
- Jaggery is a good source of iron which is essential for the formation of haemoglobin. Adding jaggery to puffed cereal helps to meet the daily requirement of the mineral.
- It is also rich in several minerals, calcium and phosphorus which are necessary for healthy bones and tissues.
- Puffed rice is rich in carbohydrates that help to improve the energy of the babies.
- Puffed rice and jaggery combined is a dietary fibre that helps to activate bowel movements and metabolism.
- Due to abundance of minerals and antioxidants in this cereal, it helps babies and kids to boost their immunity and to combat diseases.
- Make sure you buy the jaggery that is naturally processed.
- Before purchasing the jaggery, make sure to taste and check the colour of the jaggery to identify the good one.
- Check if the puffed rice is fresh and crisp.
- Check for the expiry date if the puffed rice is store-bought.
Our babies are very precious to us, and therefore we always want the best for them. So, instead of depending on formula food bought from the market, give your baby a bowl of tasty and nutrient-rich murmura chikki at least few times a week. You can even add a twist and prepare murmura ladoos instead of chikkis.