In this Article
Pregnant women may like to pay special attention to their dietary intake during pregnancy. Eating well-nourished food when pregnant is important to safeguard the health of the unborn baby and also of the mother. Therefore, it is essential to include such foods in the diet which provide a lot of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fibre. Horse gram is one such food that can be part of the pregnancy diet as it is very nutritious.
Horse gram can have many health benefits. But horse gram is also known to generate a lot of heat in the body. Foods which cause heat generation in the body may not be advisable to eat during pregnancy. Having said that anything consumed in moderation should be fine. In case you wish to eat horse gram during pregnancy for its nutritive value you can always balance it out by consuming foods that are coolants.
Can Pregnant Women Eat Horse Gram?
Owing to the health benefits of horse gram many pregnant women may wish to consume it during their pregnancy but at the same time are likely to wonder is horse gram safe during pregnancy. The answer is yes, pregnant women can eat horse gram but only in moderation. Disproportionate consumption of anything while pregnant can give rise to unnecessary pregnancy complications. So, it is always better to be safe than repent later on. Thus in case you want to eat horse gram while pregnant, you can do so in restricted quantities. You can always refer to your doctor as well for necessary guidance.
Nutritional Value of Horse Gram
Horse gram is a type of bean essentially used in the preparation of South Indian dishes. The edible seeds offer several medicinal and culinary benefits. Horse gram is a good source of iron. Horse gram is also full of protein and fibre. Horse gam is believed to possess astringent and diuretic properties.
Health Benefits of Consuming Horse Gram during Pregnancy
Some of the health benefits of horse gram during pregnancy can be:
- Being rich in iron it can help in enhancing the much-needed blood count during pregnancy.
- Horse gram can effectively treat several health issues like conjunctivitis, worm removal, piles, and rheumatism.
- Consuming horse gram by pregnant women suffering from a cold and cough may bring relief as horse gram can prove helpful in extracting phlegm.
- Horse gram can provide the necessary heat to keep the body warm in the winter season.
- Use of horse gram during pregnancy may aid in controlling fever.
- The phenol content of the nutritious seeds can help in maintaining a healthy weight during pregnancy.
- Horse gram is full of fibre which can be a useful remedy for regulating cholesterol levels while pregnant.
- Horse gram is known for being effective in curing peptic ulcer and kidney stones.
- Horse gram may be beneficial in combating flatulence and indigestion issues during pregnancy.
Are there any Risks associated with Eating Horse Gram during Pregnancy?
No studies reveal any conclusive evidence which shows that eating horse gram during pregnancy can be harmful to the pregnancy. Horse gram does produce heat and excessive heat generation during pregnancy can add to the discomfort levels. Therefore, it is sensible to consume horse gram in limited measures when pregnant. But other than that eating horse gram during pregnancy poses no likely harm.
How to Include Horse Gram in your Pregnancy Diet?
There are many ways to include horse gram in your pregnancy diet. Here are some easy ways regarding how to eat horse gram during pregnancy:
- Horse gram can be used for preparing healthy soups, and curries.
- You can cook up a delicious dish by using horse gram with rai, coriander leaves, radish leaves and spinach.
- You can use horse gram to cook tasty gravy and eat it along with roti or boiled rice.
- You can also make a nutritious rasam, dal of horse gram.
- In certain regions of India, horse gram is powdered to make laddus.
Eating horse gram in moderate amounts during pregnancy is not likely to expose you to any serious health risk. To keep the discomfort levels in check make sure you do not consume horse gram in excess. In any case, it is always wise to consult your doctor about the list of foods that can be safely consumed by during pregnancy.
Also Read: Benefits of Makhana during Pregnancy