In this Article
During pregnancy, you have to be extremely careful about the kind of foods and medicines you consume. Many food ingredients have various medicinal uses and prove to be effective as home remedies so it is important to choose well. Sodium Bicarbonate or Baking Soda as it is commonly known is one such item and it is important to understand if it is safe for use during pregnancy.
Is Baking Soda Safe during Pregnancy?
Heartburn is a common problem women face during pregnancy, which is mainly due to the hormones in your body at this stage. To counter heartburn, can baking soda help? The quantity of baking soda has to be measured carefully and you have to ensure that the powder has dissolved completely before you consume the same. However, there are diverse opinions about its safety so it’s best to speak to your doctor before you use it. You can consider the below-mentioned points regarding baking soda to make an informed decision.
Use of Baking Soda As Antacid When Pregnant
Apart from being used as a cleaning agent in homes across the world, baking soda is used as an antacid in powder and tablet form. Since pregnancy is the time to be careful about food intake, it is necessary to consider various pros and cons for your baby’s health and your wellbeing:
There is no evidence of any negative impact of sodium bicarbonate on the unborn child. So, here are a few advantages of using baking soda during pregnancy:
- Baking soda is highly effective against acids that your pregnant body produces thus giving relief from heartburn.
- Baking soda reacts with the stomach acid and produces harmless elements like water, carbon dioxide, and common salt.
- For severe acidity, baking soda is highly effective. Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda in half a cup of water. Mix it thoroughly before drinking it.
Here are the disadvantages of using baking soda during pregnancy:
- Since baking soda contains sodium it encourages water retention in the body. Due to this property, a low sodium diet is recommended for those who get swollen feet during pregnancy.
- Although baking soda is a great antacid and reduces heartburn, if you have edema, it can aggravate the problem.
- FDA has assigned category C rating to baking soda for pregnant women. Therefore, before consuming it check with your doctor.
- If sodium bicarbonate is given in the form of an injection, it can lead to skin irritation.
Can you Use Baking Soda for Cooking While Pregnant?
Baking soda is an important ingredient used in many of the delicious items we consume on a daily basis, cakes, cookies, and pancakes being the popular ones. It is used as a leavening agent in cakes, cookies and a few kinds of bread. Even if you may not use baking soda as an antacid, you can use it to show your baking skills. It does not have any harmful effect on the body or the baby when it is mixed with other kitchen ingredients. However, you should be careful about the amount of baking soda used and how often you are consuming the items that contain it. You can go ahead and use baking soda as long as the quantity is limited and you don’t bake every single day.
Is Using Baking Soda as a Cleaning Agent Safe?
Many cleaning agents that we use to clean our kitchens and bathrooms can emit harmful fumes which should not be inhaled. During pregnancy, you should be careful of the cleaning agent you buy to keep the home clean. Baking soda has been a reliable cleaning agent for ages and proves to be handy while replacing other readymade cleaning agents. Due to its natural properties, it does not emit any dangerous fumes even if it is used as a cleaning agent or as a deodorizer to eliminate odours from the home.
- You can handle baking soda without worrying about its effects. It causes no harm when it interacts with your skin.
- You can use it by spreading the powder on rugs and carpets before you put it out in the sun or before vacuuming it.
- Tabletops and kitchen platforms can look sparkling clean by using a paste of baking soda and water.
It is recommended to reduce the use of baking soda for cleaning if presently it is being used in higher quantity. Limit its use. This way you won’t have to completely eliminate this useful ingredient from your kitchen.
The impact of baking soda on your health entirely depends on the frequency of its use and the quantity of consumption. As long as you do not make it a routine, it is absolutely fine to use it as a food ingredient and as a cleaning agent. Since it has multiple uses, you do not have to keep it out of the kitchen during pregnancy.
Also Read: Apple Cider Vinegar during Pregnancy