Apple Cider Vinegar to Boost Fertility
Getting pregnant is not easy for all, and some couples may struggle to conceive due to various possible reasons. These reasons could be polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), low sperm count, uterine fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes, etc. If you’re having trouble conceiving because of fertility issues, before checking with a doctor, you might want to try home remedies. One such remedy that you may have heard of is apple cider vinegar. Although many people believe that it helps in improving fertility in both men and women, the result might differ from person to person. If you’re considering taking apple cider vinegar (ACV) for fertility, read this article to know how it helps with fertility, its side effects, and more.
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help Improve Male and Female Fertility?
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderous drink, which can also help improve fertility in men and women. Let’s see how it can help men and women.
- Helps in the Transportation of Sperms – The malic acid that is found in apple cider vinegar can help nourish and strengthen the quality of sperms, further enabling more comfortable transportation.
- Helps Control the pH Levels – A woman’s vagina is at its healthiest when it has a pH level of 4 to 5. However, any shift from this range can cause disturbances in the system and it could lead to infertility issues. Apple cider vinegar is a potent antibiotic that is natural and organic. It can help balance the pH levels in your vagina, which is of utmost importance if you plan on conceiving.
- Helps Treat Prostate Problems – The prostate gland secretes fluids that protect and nourish the sperms. A lot of men, post the age of 40, face prostate issues like enlargement of the prostate gland. Consuming apple cider vinegar has proven to have positive effects on treating prostate problems.
- Helps Treat Candidiasis – Candidiasis is a condition that affects the cervical mucus in women. Women suffering from candidiasis might experience blocked fallopian tubes, polyps, post and premenstrual syndromes, endometriosis, and infertility. Apple cider vinegar can help treat candidiasis.
- Helps Lower Testosterone Levels in Women – Testosterone is primarily a male hormone, which is present in both men and women. However, if there is an overload of this hormone in women, it can cause infertility and hormonal imbalance. Consuming apple cider vinegar can help lower testosterone levels in women.
- Helps Improve the Quality of Sperms – The quality of sperms can play a vital role if you and your spouse are trying to conceive. Apple cider vinegar helps enhance the quality of sperms. It helps with the semen volume, sperm count, sperm morphology, and sperm motility by nourishing the prostate gland.
The benefits of consuming apple cider vinegar may seem good enough to resolve infertility issues; however, it may not guarantee results. Some couples may still have to consult a fertility specialist and take the necessary treatment. Nonetheless, apple cider vinegar can be a healthy addition to your regular diet if taken appropriately.
How to Consume Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural, organic drink, but you need to make sure you consume it the right way and in appropriate amounts. Here’s how –
- Boil a glass of hot water and wait till it cools down a bit.
- Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to this lukewarm water.
- The best time to drink this is with an empty stomach in the morning or before going to bed.
If you do want to include apple cider vinegar into your diet for health reasons, you must first consult your medical practitioner and only then consume it in the prescribed proportion. This is because apple cider vinegar can have side effects if taken in excess.
Side Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar
As with any other food, apple cider vinegar also has side effects if taken in excess. Here are some of them:
- It could cause nausea, heartburn, and bloating as it slows down digestion.
- It may decrease your appetite, which is not at all recommended when you are planning to get pregnant.
- It could react with your existing medicines.
- Excessive intake of apple cider vinegar over a long period of time can lead to bone loss and a drop in the blood potassium levels.
- It could affect tooth enamel.
Precautions to Take When Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is strongly acidic and must always be consumed in a diluted form. Here are some precautions you need to take when consuming apple cider vinegar:
- Always consult your medical practitioner before you start consuming apple cider vinegar to confirm if it is absolutely safe for you. Your doctor will be the best person to advise if you can because she will know the medications you are on, your medical history, and allergies if any. Remember, apple cider vinegar could react with certain medications so before starting with drink, do check with your doctor.
- Rinse your mouth properly after drinking diluted apple cider vinegar to prevent your teeth enamel from getting affected.
- Never go overboard with the quantity of apple cider vinegar. If it isn’t diluted appropriately, it could cause throat burn. If it accidentally spills on the skin, it could cause skin burns too.
Apple cider vinegar is believed to be a natural option to treat infertility, but results may vary on a case-to-case basis. Therefore, it is important for couples wanting to get pregnant to lead a healthy lifestyle and consult a specialist who can provide detailed guidance and treatment for fertility issues. Make sure you consume it after consulting your doctor, especially if you are on other medications.
How to Boost Fertility With Acupressure Therapy
How Does Shatavari Help in Boosting Fertility
Can Cinnamon Boost Fertility?