Male Fertility – Foods That Can Increase Sperm Count
If you are planning to have a baby and want to increase your virility as a man, you should follow a healthy diet. Including vegetarian food as well as some meat-based food in your diet can be really good for your health. By consuming healthy foods, you can increase your sperm count naturally. So, don’t wait for too long! Go through this list of foods that increase sperm volume and include them in your daily diet to have a baby soon.
How Does Food Play An Important Role in Boosting Sperm Count?
There are many factors that contribute to sperm count and helpfully, foods can help you boost you’re your low sperm count. There are some male fertility foods that help in the improvement of male fertility and increase sperm count and motility.
Foods That Can Help Boost Your Sperm Count
Read on to find out about fertility boosting foods for males and make them a part of your diet soon.
1. Dark Chocolate
The first and probably the best food to increase sperm count is dark chocolate. The cacao beans that make up the chocolate are full of antioxidants. Dark chocolate also contains an enzyme called L-Arginine which helps increase the volume of sperm. You and your partner can share a piece of dark chocolate after dinner, instead of having a filling dessert.
It’s no secret that eggs are the basic superfoods for increasing sperm count. Eggs are rich in Vitamin E and protein, which help in the motility of the sperm. Consuming eggs also protects the sperm from free radicals, thereby doubling the chances of fertilisation. Eggs are also a rich source of zinc, which is known to improve sperm motility. Eggs can be consumed in umpteen ways to increase your sperm count.
3. Goji Berries
An Indian superfood to increase sperm count, goji berries are nature’s delight. Goji berries help improve mood and the temperature around the scrotum sac, making it optimal for sperm production. Although there is no medical proof for the same, it does contain antioxidants that improve sperm motility and fertility.
Bananas are the obvious choices for increasing sperm production. This phallic-shaped fruit is rich in Vitamins B1 and C and magnesium, which increase the mobility of the sperm and help in sperm production. Bananas also contain a rare enzyme called Bromelain, which helps boost sperm count and motility. They can also regulate the sex hormones and cheer your mood. So if you love eating bananas, you have enough and more reasons to continue eating bananas.
Garlic helps prevent cancer as well as enhance the production of sperm in the scrotum. It contains allicin which is required for stimulating blood circulation to the right parts. The blood flows freely to the sexual organs and protects them from any damage. Selenium, which is another important enzyme found in garlic helps improves sperm motility.
Eating leafy veggies is good for our health as they help regulate a lot of activities in our body. Leafy greens can especially help in sperm production. Spinach is rich in folic acid which is essential for the development of the sperm.
Asparagus is a good source of Vitamin C, which helps protect sperm from free radicals. It even helps increase sperm count and the chances of reproduction by aiding them to swim towards the egg.
Walnuts are well-known as brain food, but they also help increase the sperm count. Being rich in omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts improve the vitality of sperm.
Oysters are a great source of zinc, which helps improve sperm motility. So eat oysters – they will stimulate the reproductive system by providing glycogen and taurine.
10. Ashwagandha (Ginseng)
This ancient root is a great aphrodisiac and has been used for cooking purposes since ages. It is said to not only increase testosterone but also help in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. It is available in fresh or dried form and can be consumed in the form of tea.
Pomegranates are known to increase the sex drive. Being a rich source of antioxidants, they help increase the level of sperm and quality of sperm production as well. You can consume pomegranates in raw form or in the form of juice every other day.
12. Pumpkin Seeds
These seeds are rich in antioxidants, phytosterols, and amino acids which enhance fertility in men. Pumpkin seeds can also help in increasing sperm count, motility, and virility overall. You can add them as salad toppings or consume them raw as a snack.
Carrots can be consumed as a snack or as a vegetable. Carrots are a rich source of beta-carotene, an antioxidant which maintains the health of the sperm by protecting it from free radicals. This, in turn, aids mobility of the sperm thereby helping it reach the egg.
Cooked lentils are a great source of folic acid which is an important catalyst in producing sperms. Lack of folic acid can lead to chromosomal abnormalities in men, hence it is important to consume lentils daily.
15. Zinc-rich Foods
Any food which is rich in zinc prevents the sperm from free radical damage. It also stimulates the libido. All kinds of fish are a great source of zinc. You can up your zinc intake by consuming nuts, beans, whole wheat grains, fortified cereals, and dairy products.
Red meat such as beef is also a great source of zinc. Beef is also a rich source of folic acid and selenium, which help improve sperm health. If you like meat, consume beef – it will assist in sperm production and mobility.
The traditional ingredient used in every Indian household, fenugreek or ‘methi’ is used for increasing sperm count and libido. It can be used in dal or any other vegetable.
18. Olive Oil
Consumption of olive oil regularly helps improve sperm count and quality of sperm. It keeps the bad cholesterol levels low, increases the flow of oxygen to the testicles, and helps in the formation of healthy sperm.
Tomatoes are great fertility food. They contain lycopene which is an antioxidant known to improve the structure and activity of the sperm. Regular consumption of tomatoes can increase fertility in men.
Just like goji berries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, and blueberries also contain powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients such as quercetin and resveratrol, which help in increasing the quality and production of sperm.
This is another green vegetable rich in folic acid, which is known as vitamin B9. Broccoli has now been recognised as one of the best food to increase seminal fluid.
22. Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds are quite healthy and contain vitamin E, an antioxidant that enhances sperm & semen quality.
23. Maca Roots
Maca roots are best known to increase sperm counts and fertility. if you consume this herb as a supplement, you can have an increased volume of semen and also possess sperms of better motility.
Food Supplements to Boost Sperm Count and Motility
The following supplements can help you boost your sperm count and motility:
- Co Q10
- Fish Oil
Some Tips to Improve Your Fertility Levels
Apart from eating these foods, you should also incorporate some lifestyle changes to improve your sperm health. So here are some things that help male fertility, and you should adhere to these if you want to improve your fertility levels.
- In order to improve your fertility levels, you must quit smoking (i.e., if you smoke). Smoking affects fertility levels in men, so it is important that you quit smoking.
- Avoid sitting for long periods of time as it can increase your scrotal temperature, which can affect your fertility levels. Also, do not take hot tub baths for long.
- If you want to have a baby, have sex frequently. Having sex with your wife when she is ovulating will definitely increase her chances of getting pregnant, but having sex frequently will improve your fertility levels.
- If you are overweight or obese, work harder to bring your weight to healthier levels. As being overweight or obese disturbs the hormonal balance, it lowers the sperm count as well.
- Increase your intake of healthy fats. Polyunsaturated fats like omega-3 and omega-6 assist in the healthy development of the sperm membrane. You can also take omega-3 supplements.
1. How to Eat Eggs to Boost Sperm Count?
- Eat soft-boiled eggs.
- Go for organic eggs.
- Combine eggs with other fertility-boosting foods.
2. Can Water Help to Increase Sperm Count?
This is half true, half false, as water and fluid intake is said to help boost a man’s semen volume within normal limits. If a man ensures to drinks plenty of water, he is helping his body produce his personal max amount of semen.
By incorporating nutritious foods in your diet and following a healthy lifestyle, your fertility levels will increase. So eat the foods mentioned above and give up smoking (i.e., if you smoke) and have a healthy life.
1. Healthy sperm: Improving your fertility; mayoclinic.org; https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/getting-pregnant/in-depth/fertility/art-20047584
2. Sedigheh Ahmadi, Reihane Bashiri, Akram Ghadiri-Anari, et.al; Antioxidant supplements and semen parameters: An evidence based review; National Library of Medicine; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5203687/; December 2016
3. Don’t make the mistake of letting a diet kill sperm; uchicagomedicine.org; https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/health-and-wellness-articles/dont-make-the-mistake-of-letting-a-diet-kill-sperm
4. Foods That Can Affect Fertility; eatright.org; https://www.eatright.org/health/pregnancy/fertility-and-reproduction/fertility-foods
5. What Are Foods to Increase Sperm Count?; blog.ochsner.org; https://blog.ochsner.org/articles/eating-fruits-and-veggies-leads-to-a-higher-sperm-count
6. How to improve male fertility; tommys.org; https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/planning-a-pregnancy/are-you-ready-to-conceive/how-improve-male-fertility