Last Updated on
Almond oil is one of the most popular choices among parents for massaging their cute ones with. Almond oil is enriched with Vitamins A and E, fatty acids, and also a few minerals. All these properties make it a desirable oil for massage, not to mention the amazing benefits it is packed with. However, certain precautions are advisable while massaging your baby with almond oil.
Video : Benefits of Using Almond Oil for Baby Massage ( Plus Precautions)
Is Almond Oil Safe for Babies?
Most of the parents will have this question in their heads, and it’s totally natural to raise such concerns as you don’t want to take any unnecessary risks. There are two varieties of almond oil available- bitter and sweet. Sweet almond oil is more popular than its counterpart because sweet almond oil is edible, so there is no harm even if your baby ends up putting his hands in his mouth. In other words, sweet almond oil is totally safe to use on babies. However, bitter almond oil does have the potential to cause poisoning and must be avoided.
How to Massage Your Baby Using Almond Oil
As we discussed above, massaging babies is good for their health. However, like other things, massaging babies requires proper care, and it might seem difficult for you if it’s your first child. Below is a step by step explanation for your reference and ease:
- First of all, pour a few drops of almond oil onto your palm. Then, rub your hands to spread it across your palm and warm it. You can also warm the oil in a steel bowl. Thereafter, starting with the leg, place your hand around one of the thighs and gently pull your hands down to the feet. Repeat this and switch to the other leg after some time. Make sure that you massage the soles as well. The same technique could be used for arms and hands as well.
- Move to the chest. Join your palms together and place your hands (pinkie finger facing down) over the centre of your baby’s chest and then move your palms outwards towards the shoulder. Repeat this 3-4 times. Then, place your hands (palm facing down) over the centre and massage slowly towards the stomach. Repeat this 2-4 times.
- For a back massage, turn your baby over and make him lie down on his tummy. Place your palms just below the neck and stroke down slowly with one hand and then another one towards the waist. All you have to do is follow the spine, but make sure that you don’t rub the baby.
- To massage the ears and face, just pour a few drops onto your palm and after rubbing the oil in your hands, follow upward and outward strokes on the face and around the ears.
- For a head massage, apply a few drops of oil on the scalp and rotate your palms gently on your baby’s head. You don’t need to apply pressure while massaging the head. Instead, just pat the head.
- Finally, make sure that throughout the process of massaging, you use your hands gently.
Benefits Of Almond Oil Massage For Baby
Choosing a good oil for your baby’s skin is important. Almond oil is a good source of Vitamin E and is quite a popular choice among parents. You may wonder, ‘Is almond oil good for baby’s skin?’. Below are the benefits of using almond oil for your baby.
1) Relief From Cradle Cap
Cradle cap is a common inflammatory condition among many babies. To treat yellowish, greasy, crusty skin patches, gently rub sweet almond oil on the affected area.
2) Effective Moisturizer
Almond oil gets absorbed faster in the skin which prevents dry skin and keeps your baby’s skin soft and moisturised.
3) Prevent Skin Problems
Almond oil is a rich source of vitamin A, B2, B6, D, and E, all of which keep skin problems such as, eczema, soreness and rashes at bay, leaving your baby with soft and smooth skin.
4) Soothing Effect
Almond oil improves blood circulation in your baby, soothing his tired limbs and strained muscles.
5) Better Sleep
A gentle massage with almond oil can relax the body. It induces better sleep as almond oil has properties that improve blood circulation.
As mentioned above, sweet almond oil is edible. Hence, its non-toxic properties make it perfectly safe for a massage.
7) Emollient Oil
Babies have very sensitive skin and require adequate nourishment. Almond oil works as a natural moisturiser due to the presence of linoleic and oleic acid in it.
8) Hair Nourishment
Almond oil is a good source of Vitamin E, potassium, omega-3 fatty acid and magnesium, which is helpful in nourishing and strengthening your baby’s hair, and at the same time, prevents hair fall. Massage the scalp with almond oil for baby hair nourishment.
9) Easy to Use
Almond oil has a light texture that makes it easy to spread over the skin. Lukewarm almond oil is even easier to get absorbed in the skin.
10) Pleasant Scent
Unlike other oils, almond oil has a pleasant smell, which is a delight to the senses.
11) Good For Bones
The presence of Vitamin D, potassium, and calcium makes almond oil the perfect source to strengthen your baby’s bones and joints.
13) Removes Impurities
Massaging with almond oil will remove impurities and dead cells from the skin by getting rid of excess oil from the skin.
14) A Natural Sunscreen
Almond oil contains SPF 5 which protects the skin from harmful sun rays.
15) Skin Fairness
Massaging with almond oil for baby skin fairness is a common practice due to the tan reducing properties available in the almond oil. Almond oil is rich in Vitamin E that keeps skin soft, relieves dryness, and improves complexion.
16) Improves Complexion
Even though complexion does not make any difference, but sometimes you might be in need to improve the complexion due to suntan or any such reason. Massaging with Almond oil for baby complexion is widely used practice as the Vitamin E present in almond oil is known for its skin whitening properties.
17) Winter Care
Almond oil is the best moisturiser for winters. Since babies often have sensitive skin, their skin tends to get dry, especially facial skin. Almond oil for a baby’s face is the best remedy against chapped and dry skin during winters.
18) Promotes Lush Eyelashes
Rich in Vitamins E, D, and B and magnesium, almond oil is one of the best options to promote gorgeous looking eyelashes in babies. Ensure that oil does not enter their eyes.
19) Healthy Nails
Almond oil contains zinc and potassium, which promote healthy and shiny nails in babies.
20) Immunity Booster
Almond oil is a great immunity booster as well by keeping any infections at bay.
Precautions to Take When Using Almond Oil For Massaging A Baby
Now that we know how to massage a baby let’s look into precautions one needs to take when using oil for massaging a baby.
- Some people who suffer from severe nut allergy may show some signs of allergy when they touch nuts or nut products. So, if you have a history of nut allergy in your family, then you better avoid using almond oil for baby massage. If you still want to use it, then just apply a drop of almond oil and wait for 2-3 days. If there’s no sign of reaction, then you may proceed, however, taking an expert’s opinion is always recommended.
- Always be careful of the expiry date before buying as well as using almond oil.
- Excess oil may result in skin rashes. So, if you are not planning to give a bath after the massage, make sure that you wipe off the excess oil using a moist, clean, cotton napkin.
- Ensure that oil does not enter the baby’s eyes, ears, or nose, as it might cause irritation and infection.
- Do make sure that you wipe your hands before picking up your baby because it might cause an accident if your hands are slippery. Likewise, ensure that there’s no excess oil on your baby’s body for the same reason.
Almond oil is the one of the best massage oils for your baby because of its multiple health benefits. More importantly, it is pocket-friendly and is easily available in the market. Alternatively, you can even order it online as well.