In this Article
A mother’s health is possibly most at risk immediately after the birth of her child, because her body has been through immense trauma. If you are a new mother too, you will take time to recover from birth – although rest assured, your recovery will be complete. This process can be accelerated by eating healthy, taking the correct supplements, hydrating and exercising. Some ingredients, when added to your diet, can help improve your general health and even lose that baby weight. Ajwain is one of those ingredients.
Benefits of Ajwain Water After Pregnancy
Ajwain can be used in numerous ways to help both your body and your baby’s body become stronger, healthier and fitter. Some of the benefits of ajwain water during pregnancy include the following:
- Ajwain water for weight loss after delivery is commonly considered a healthy option. In combination with a healthy diet and exercise, it is proven to accelerate metabolism and help with weight loss.
- Ajwain water while breastfeeding can be hugely beneficial due to its inherent properties that help improve breast milk production in new mothers.
- Ajwain contains anaesthetic properties that help manage body pain. This is especially relevant for women just after pregnancy as it will help ease back and joint pain to some extent.
- The anti-inflammatory properties that ajwain contains help the body heal and recover internally.
- Ajwain is thought to help improve the body’s immunity and helps dissolve and dispel mucus or phlegm, this helps babies and new mothers combat colds and the flu.
- In Ayurvedic medicine, ajwain water is used to treat gas. This is one of the reasons why new mothers who are prone to digestive ailments are recommended to consume this on a regular basis.
- Right after pregnancy, you may face digestive issues. Ajwain is considered a natural cure for constipation and diarrhoea. It helps regulate and improve your body’s digestive functions.
- Some doctors recommend ajwain water to help combat colic in babies. In fact, ajwain is even known to help cure the condition completely.
How to Prepare Ajwain Water
Depending on how ajwain water is prepared the benefits can greatly vary. It is extremely easy to prepare this natural remedy for many of the post-delivery complications. Depending on the ingredients used along with it, the benefits vary. Adding dried ginger to ajwain water helps cure stomach ailments and combat the common cold. The basic method of preparation remains the same.
- Roast a teaspoon of ajwain seeds on a low flame till they begin to emit a fragrance.
- Add some room temperature water.
- Bring the water to a boil on a low flame till the water begins to turn brown and bubble.
- Cool the water at room temperature.
- Strain the water.
Ajwain water post-delivery is considered beneficial only if consumed on a regular basis and in limited amounts. It is recommended that you drink a glass of this water in the morning about 30 minutes before breakfast every day. Ajwain water is considered safe for bottle feeding children even if they are under the age of 6 months.
How to Use Ajwain Water to Relieve Bloating, Gas or Cough-Cold?
Ajwain water can be used to treat gas and coughs or colds, the preparation for which varies slightly.
- Using the above method, after roasting the seeds add some dried ginger or ginger powder and add water. Let the mixture boil on a low flame. Ginger in combination with ajwain can help combat the common cold and reduce coughs.
- Similarly, adding a pinch of black salt, cumin or barley to the mix can help improve digestion for both the mother and child.
Combining all the ingredients in the preparation is also considered immensely beneficial. Here is the method of preparation:
- Lightly roast ajwain seeds on a low flame
- Add cumin to the seeds and continue to roast
- Add grated ginger, add dried ginger or dried ginger powder
- Add a teaspoon of barley
- Add some room temperature water and let it simmer on a low flame till it comes to a boil
- Once the water begins to bubble add some black salt
- Let it boil for a few minutes and then turn off the flame, let the concoction sit to cool in room temperature
- Strain the drink and consume.
How to Make Ajwain Water for Losing Weight?
Ajwain seeds naturally help with regulating body weight. To maximize the effects of this, soak the seeds in water overnight and strain it in the morning. Add a teaspoon of honey to increase the benefits of the water and introduce some flavour. Continuing this for a month is believed to help with weight loss.
You can also prepare the ajwain water as mentioned above with a slight variation. Let the roasted ajwain and other ingredients soak overnight after preparation and strain it the next day. Add honey and consume. This will work as a preventive measure for gas, coughs and colds while also aiding in weight loss.
Ajwain has a lot of benefits as a natural ingredient. It is, however, not a supplement to a complete diet. Talking to your doctors and dieticians can help you build a balanced diet with ajwain water playing a part in it. Remember to consult your physician before making any changes in your diet and lifestyle after pregnancy. Ajwain is safe for babies of any age.