In this Article
Last Updated on
A mother’s health is susceptible to many risks immediately after the birth of her baby because her body has been through immense trauma. If you are a new mother, you will need time to recover from the process of childbirth. This process can be accelerated by eating healthy, taking the correct supplements, hydrating, and exercising. Some ingredients, when added to your diet, can help improve your general health and even lose that baby weight. Carom seeds or ajwain is one of those ingredients.
Benefits of Ajwain Water After Pregnancy
Ajwain can be used in numerous ways to help both your body and your baby’s body become stronger and healthier. Some of the benefits of ajwain water after the delivery include the following:
- Ajwain water is commonly considered a healthy option for losing weight after delivery. In combination with a healthy diet and exercise, it is proven to accelerate metabolism and help with weight loss.
- Drinking ajwain water while breastfeeding can be hugely beneficial due to its inherent properties that help improve the production of breast milk in new mothers.
- Ajwain contains anaesthetic properties that help manage body pain. This is especially useful for women just after their baby’s delivery as it can help in easing back and joints pain to some extent.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of ajwain help the body heal and recover internally.
- It is believed that ajwain improves the body’s immunity and helps dissolve and dispel mucus or phlegm; this helps babies and new mothers combat cold and flu.
- In Ayurvedic medicine, ajwain water is used to treat gastric issues. This is one of the reasons why new mothers who are prone to digestive ailments are recommended to consume it on a regular basis.
- Right after your baby’s delivery, you may face digestive issues. Ajwain is considered a natural cure for constipation and diarrhoea. It can help regulate and improve your body’s digestive functions.
- Some doctors recommend ajwain water to help combat colic in babies. In fact, it is known to help cure the condition completely.
How to Prepare Ajwain Water
The benefits of ajwain water can vary depending on how it is prepared. It is really easy to make this natural remedy which is used to treat many post-delivery complications. Depending on the ingredients used along with it, the benefits can vary. Adding dried ginger to ajwain water helps cure stomach ailments and combat the common cold. The basic method of preparation remains the same.
- Roast a teaspoon of ajwain seeds on a low flame till they begin to emit a fragrance.
- Add some room temperature water.
- Bring the water to a boil on a low flame till the water begins to turn brown and bubble.
- Cool the water at room temperature.
- Strain the water.
Drinking ajwain water post-delivery is considered beneficial only if it is consumed on a regular basis and in limited amounts. It is recommended that you drink a glass of this water in the morning about 30 minutes before breakfast every day. Ajwain water is considered safe for bottle-feeding babies even if they are under the age of 6 months.
How to Use Ajwain Water to Relieve Bloating, Gas, or Cough & Cold?
Ajwain water can be used to treat gas and coughs or colds. The preparation for these ailments varies slightly.
- Using the above method, after roasting the seeds add some dried ginger or ginger powder and add water. Let the mixture boil on a low flame. Ginger, in combination with ajwain, can help combat the common cold and reduce coughs.
- Similarly, adding a pinch of black salt, cumin, or barley to the mix can help improve digestion for both the mother and the baby.
Combining all the ingredients in the preparation is also considered immensely beneficial. Here is the method of preparation:
- Lightly roast ajwain seeds on a low flame
- Add cumin to the seeds and continue to roast
- Add grated ginger, or dried ginger or ginger powder
- Add a teaspoon of barley
- Add some water and let it simmer on a low flame till it comes to a boil
- Once the water begins to bubble, add some black salt
- Let it boil for a few minutes and then turn off the flame, let the concoction sit to cool in room temperature
- Strain the drink and consume.
How to Make Ajwain Water for Losing Weight
Ajwain seeds naturally help with regulating body weight. To maximise its effects, soak the seeds in water overnight and strain it in the morning. Add a teaspoon of honey to increase the benefits of the water and introduce some flavour. Consuming this for a month is believed to help with weight loss.
You can also prepare ajwain water as per the recipe given above with a slight variation. Let the roasted ajwain and other ingredients soak overnight after preparation and strain it the next day. Add honey and consume. This will work as a preventive measure for gas, coughs, and colds while also aiding in weight loss.
Side Effects of Ajwain
Although ajwain water is immensely useful for women after pregnancy, excessive consumption of it can lead to health issues. Some of the possible side-effects of ajwain are
- Heartburn- Ajwain has a high level of heat. So consuming large quantities of it can result in heartburn. In severe cases, excessive consumption of ajwain can also result in stomach ulcers.
- Hyperacidity- Even though ajwain is known for helping in the treatment of stomach ailments, consuming too much ajwain can cause hyper-acidity.
- Burning sensation- Over consumption of ajwain can make a person feel a burning sensation in their abdominal region, which can even lead to nausea and dizziness.
Ajwain has a lot of benefits as a natural ingredient, that can do wonders when consumed in moderation. It is, however, not a supplement to a complete diet. Talking to your doctors and dietitians can help you build a balanced diet with ajwain water playing a part in it. Remember to consult your physician before making any changes in your diet and lifestyle after pregnancy.