As your little one turns 8 months old, he/she has already started having some other foods along with milk. By this time they also have found some favorite food, which they enjoy more than others. The little one is by now easily swallowing soft foods like mashed potatoes and chewing a bit of semi-soft foods. However, kids still take most of their calories from mother’s milk or formula milk.
What To Feed A 8-Month-Old?
Young parents sometimes do need advice on what foods to give 8 months old, when to feed and how much to feed to their eight-month. They need advice on what healthy and wholesome diet to feed to their kids. The diet should have the correct or adequate quantity of protein, minerals, carbohydrates, and vitamins to aid in the proper growth of the child. So the food items have to be chosen which have the correct mix of all the nutrients.
So the 8-month-old food ideas menu should have the following foods:
1. Fruits / Vegetables
- Fresh fruits having a variety of minerals, vitamins, and micronutrients.
- Ensure fruits are fresh and cut into small cubes.
- Get local fruits/vegetables or the fruits/vegetables that grow in the region as they lower the risk of an allergic reaction.
- Vegetables can be cut in small pieces and then steamed to feed the baby.
- The eight-month-old baby can start having fish such as tuna and salmon.
- Fish are an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids and aid in the development of the brain and overall growth of babies.
- Fish can be made into a soup or puree for easy feeding to the baby.
- Chicken, beef, egg, turkey, and pork are good sources of protein for the baby.
3. Other Food Items
- Yogurt and cheese are an excellent food source for calcium.
- Ensure they are made from pasteurized milk.
- The cheese can be Cheddar, Cottage, Jack or Colby.
- Include the cheese cut into small cubes for easy feeding.
- Blue cheese and brie cheese are soft, so avoid them for now.
- The baby can be introduced to bread and muffins in her/his meal.
- Boiled, soft Pasta, cooked with cheese, is also a good meal option.
How Much Milk Is Enough For An 8-Month-Old?
The quantity of milk an eight-month-old can have should be no more than four milk feeds in the day. The baby should be breastfed on demand and offered up to 600 ml equivalent of infant formula. If the baby is on infant milk formula then the quantity should not exceed 600 ml divided into 4 servings in a day. Though as the baby starts increasing the quantity of other solid food, his/her intake of milk might decrease, so don’t get worried over it.
8-Month-Old Feeding Schedule
The parents of an eight-month-old baby need to make an eating schedule. The feeding schedule depends on the eating habits of the child and might differ from one child to another. As the child grows, the parents know more about what the child likes and dislikes and develop a schedule for them for their activities like playing, sleeping, and eating. So to make a feeding schedule for eight-month-old baby, the diet planner should also include these basic things:
- The kid should be fed solid food at least two or three times a day. Along with the solid food, feed 25 to 32 ounces of formula milk of breast milk.
- Slowly increase the variety and quantity of solid food in your kid’s food chart.
- If possible, try to feed the kid soup or pureed food through a sippy cup.
- The kid should ideally sleep for about 13-14 hours including the daytime naps and night nap.
A sample meal plan for an eight-month-old will be as follows:
|Meal Times||Food Items with Quantity|
Foods To Avoid For A 8-Months-Infant
There are some foods which the parents should avoid for their eight-month-old. They are:
Baby Food Recipes 8-Months-Old
The parents are always wondering how to make nutritious food for their eight-month-old child or what dinner recipe to make. So here are some eight months baby food recipes which are easy to make and have all the essential nutrients.
1. Sweet Potato Porridge
How to Prepare
- Mash the sweet potatoes.
- Remember to take out the thread-like fiber.
- Heat milk in a pan.
- Add mashed potatoes and cinnamon powder.
- Add jaggery. Mix.
- Switch off the heat.
- Let it cool.
2. Carrot And Apple Soup With Potatoes
- Apples –chopped- ½ cup
- Carrot– diced, peeled – 2 tbsp
- Potatoes– chopped – ¼ cup
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Onion– finely chopped- 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
How to Prepare
- Pour oil in a cooker, add onions to it and sauté.
- Add all the other ingredients and cook till three whistles.
- Blend and serve warm.
3. Potato Beans And Pea Puree
- Sweet potato -1
- Water – 3 to 4 cups
- Rice– ¼ cup
How to Prepare
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into cubes.
- In a pan, add the potato, water, and rice. Boil them.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes till it blends completely.
- Serve warm.
Feeding Tips For Parents
While feeding the eight-month-old kid, parents need to remember these feeding guide tips:
- To know how much solid food to feed the kid, remember the kid needs 750-900 calories per day. Out of these, 400-500 calories should come from mother’s milk or formula milk.
- Ensure whenever you feed the baby, stick to one feeding position and feed the baby at one location. This helps to make the kid understand the relationship between food and place.
- Keep the consistency of the food somewhat grainy. Don’t mash it completely.
- Don’t add sugar or salt to the meals or finger food.
Feed your eight-month-old with these easy to make recipes and feeding schedule. These will help the young parents to make a feeding schedule and help them understand what their little one can eat. They will also know what food items to avoid and what feeding guides to follow.