In this Article
Being 7 weeks pregnant with twins is one of the greatest feelings for a young mother and a totally different ballgame for first-time moms. All the things that you might have expected at the beginning of your pregnancy will start getting prominent around this time. Right from the pants getting tighter to starting to have that feeling of something growing inside you, these sensations are all that govern and define the 7th week of pregnancy. The babies are at an important milestone of their own growth as well, having grown to nearly twice the size they were in the previous week.
Common Body Changes
Since a growing foetus experiences, one of its largest spurts of growth around this time, the changes experienced by a pregnant woman’s body are also quite substantial.
- You might feel warmer than other people and may want to turn the fan or AC on more often, which is a result of increased blood circulation within the body. This helps in removing any excess heat from the skin.
- Many women tend to experience a darkening of the skin. Most prominent amongst that is a dark line of sorts closer to the abdomen. Other areas of the body could have small patches of brown colouration, which tend to fade away after delivery. Even the palms of your hand could darken a shade.
- The swell and fullness of the breasts will make them tender. There might even be a chance of noticing slight veins in the region. The areolas start getting darker as the nipples themselves become darker and larger in size. Tiny bumps will begin to make their presence felt around them.
- Inside the body, the uterus undergoes the biggest change and increasing in size, developing into a shape that resembles a pear. At times, it may start shifting gradually to the right of the abdomen. Such a movement can make the inner ligaments tighter than usual, and lead you to feel some pain if you turn your body quickly.
- Ovulation stops completely at this point and the production of newer eggs is totally closed down. The cyst that is formed by the ovaries continues to support the production of hormones and help the pregnancy sustain itself.
- Vaginal discharge might also increase around this point since the blood vessels within it multiply rapidly. The discharge would be quite thick and white in colour as compared to before as the vagina itself becomes slightly acidic than usual.
- The proportion of blood within the body reaches nearly half to double the amount than what it usually is. Pumping this increased blood causes the heart to beat faster.
- As your babies start occupying more and more space within your body, your organs move around to accommodate them. Your heart moves a little to the left. The lungs, on the other hand, tend to move upwards causing your chest to expand a bit. This leads to the lungs expanding vertically a lot more than before, causing them to inhale and exhale a larger amount of air easily.
- With so much nutrient exchange taking place within the body, the kidneys swell and end up working overtime. The toxin secretion and flushing tends to be higher, causing more sensation of urination throughout.
- Although you might feel hungrier than usual, you would tend to feel satisfied after a small meal itself, due to the tendency of the stomach to empty itself at a slower rate than before. This could even result in increased instances of acid reflux in pregnant women. Lack of fibrous food items could result in constipation, which could inevitably cause haemorrhoids.
- Even the cornea of a pregnant woman increases in size during pregnancy. This can make it uncomfortable for women who tend to wear contact lenses as a practice.
Symptoms of Twin Pregnancy at 7 Weeks
The signs of a twin pregnancy at 7 weeks or in any case of multiples, tend to get quite strong around this time.
- The recurrent feeling of nausea and morning sickness will increase in intensity, especially if multiple babies are present since the hormones are secreted in an even higher quantity than before.
- Food cravings can reach their peak and cause you to want to gorge on anything and everything in sight. Having more food than usual is absolutely fine as long as you stick to a healthy diet. On the contrary, certain women can even experience strong aversions to specific food items. These could happen with foods that have a particular smell or aroma that might trigger your morning sickness and cause you to throw up. Most of these aversions are a result of hormone fluctuations and are completely fine as long as the mother keeps getting the nutrients from alternative sources. Dry food items with light flavour such as yoghurt or biscuits can be a good way to handle the situation.
- Acne breakouts might be a possibility in a few women. While it isn’t as irritating as before, a treatment might be recommended by a doctor if asked for.
- Salivation increases tremendously, as a general accompaniment to the tendency of throwing up frequently. These drools can even occur while you are sleeping.
- Tiny cramps can be experienced by women, too, as a result of the growing uterus. As long as the cramps are not too intense and repeating frequently, you are safe.
Belly at 7 Weeks Pregnant with Twins
The sudden increase in the size of the babies within a week’s time can be evident from the size of your belly, which will make its presence felt more than before. Some women can even observe some light lines or streaks on the skin, which could even be a little reddish in colour. These are observed even on the breasts and thighs, apart from the belly. Such marks are the initial stages of your stretch marks as the body prepares to accommodate the growing babies.
7 Weeks Twin Ultrasound
Most doctors would be able to let parents know by this stage if they should expect multiple babies in their pregnancy – twins, triplets, or more! Conclusive evidence may even be obtained up to two weeks ago, but this point makes it easier for parents to come to terms with the fact as well, which is why most doctors would wait until the 7th week and may use the previous weeks to prepare the couple. The presence of two (or more) separate sacs can be spotted easily in the ultrasound scans of the 7th week. Although you may not be able to see much development in the shape of the babies, rest assured that a number of vital organs and physical limbs are developing in each of your babies as you look at them.
What to Eat
The 7th week of the pregnancy is usually the time where most women start experiencing the infamous cravings that they have heard about all these years. In some cases, items that might not have been of much interest before too could suddenly feel like the most delicious food ever! A bunch of other theories revolve around the fact that the cravings are the body’s sign of letting you know that it needs a replenishment of nutrients. For example, wanting an ice cream could be a sign of requiring calcium or looking forward to devouring a meat item could necessitate an intake of proteins.
Irrespective of cravings being intense or minimal, there are certain food items that are necessary to be a part of your diet and ensure a balanced provision of all elements and nutrients you need. Tackling a variety of food items while combating your triggers for motion sickness can be tough initially to navigate in a successful manner. Opting for certain fruits or alternatives that don’t smell as strongly as the others are how you can keep yourself healthy.
Pregnancy Care Tips
Taking care of your pregnancy goes way beyond healthy eating and taking care of your body. A few dos and don’ts are essential in keeping you safe.
- Get your medical checkup done as soon as you can. Make sure you prepare a list of questions and doubts you might have so that you can get all of them cleared up in a single go.
- Remember to take a photograph of your belly every day or at least twice or thrice a week. Doing so can give you a great idea of how your pregnancy has progressed over the past months.
- Avoid raw food products such as meat and fish no matter how much you crave for them. Stay safe from any infections.
- Don’t opt for a weight-loss programme or restrict your diet to keep your weight under control. It could harm your baby in irreversible ways.
What You Need to Shop for
As your morning sickness symptoms will get stronger over the coming weeks, investing in some nice incenses or teas might be beneficial for you. Get a nice scrub and moisturizer to keep your skin smooth and healthy. Start reading books or articles around pregnancy and baby development.
Hearing twin heartbeats at 7 weeks might be possible for some women and that feeling is utterly precious. To see your babies growing safely and soundly inside you is something that can instantly turn a woman into a mother, as well as bring back her confidence in taking care of the children in the right manner.
Previous Week: Twin Pregnancy Week 6
Next Week: Twin Pregnancy Week 8