- Baby Growth at 8 Weeks
- Size of the Babies at 8 Weeks
- Common Bodily Changes in Pregnant Women Carrying Twins or Multiples
- Symptoms of Twin Pregnancy at 8 Weeks
- Belly at 8 Weeks Pregnant with Twins
- 8 Weeks Twin Ultrasound
- What to Eat to Support a Twin or Multiple Pregnancy in the 8th Week
- Pregnancy Care Tips
- What You Need to Shop For
Last Updated on
The confirmation of a twin or multiple pregnancy is bound to make you nervous and excited at the same time. You will start thinking about raising your kids and the different preparations you will have to do to make sure that your little ones are comfortable. All these preparations are necessary, but you must not stress yourself; instead, take one step at a time. By the time you complete two months of your pregnancy, i.e. 8 weeks, your tiny twins or multiples will undergo significant development. Find out how much your babies will have developed by week 8 of pregnancy.
Baby Growth at 8 Weeks
Around the 8th week of pregnancy, the organs of the foetuses start developing in a consistent manner. The neural growth, which is the most important in this regard and the brain undergoes substantial progress. The newly formed nerve cells that constitute the majority of the brain start reaching out to each other and create numerous branches and connections. This is primarily what helps their brain function, and the existence of such neural pathways contributes to it.
The formation of eyes already begins a couple of weeks ago; however, it isn’t that evident. By the 8th week of pregnancy, eyelids begin to form in a translucent tissue-like material and begin to cover the eyes of your babies.
The growth of limbs is substantial as well. Although the hands and arms are yet to develop completely, the flexing that occurs at the wrist is very much present, and they are positioned closer to the heart. Their fingers also continue to grow. By the 8th week, their arms and legs develop and start bending as well too. Most babies tend to start showing a knee that can be recognized by a doctor in the scan.
Size of the Babies at 8 Weeks
You twins or multiples were barely the size of a seed or a pea in the previous weeks, but now, in the 8th week, they are as large as a kidney bean. Most growth is only around a millimetre on a daily basis, which might not seem much, but is substantially large when compared to their overall size.
As the babies grow inside your womb, your body will also go through changes. Keep reading to know what these changes are.
Common Bodily Changes in Pregnant Women Carrying Twins or Multiples
Most of the changes that occur in twins or triplets in the womb are internal, while their physical growth is slowly moving ahead at its own pace. However, a woman’s body will undergo many changes:
- If you are pregnant with twins or multiple babies, your waistline may expand. This may not be evident always, but wearing certain pants which fit you comfortably earlier, may feel constricted.
- The uterus will begin to increase in size in accordance with the growth of the babies. It may appear larger than an orange and would start pushing into the abdominal space and can be felt from within. These could even result in abdominal cramps and might hurt some women intermittently.
- The 2-month mark, in a way, also signals the breasts that they would have to be ready for the babies when the delivery comes through. By this time, your breasts also swell, and the areolas have small bumps around them as they morph naturally to support lactation.
- The blood levels in the body increase tremendously, and so do the levels of various hormones, particularly progesterone. These increased hormones further start aggravating pregnancy symptoms, especially morning sickness.
Along with morning sickness, your body will now show some more signs of pregnancy. Below are the symptoms you will see at 8 weeks of your pregnancy.
Symptoms of Twin Pregnancy at 8 Weeks
The signs of having twins or triplets at 8 weeks get very prominent, and you can even celebrate them at the completion of two months if you haven’t done so already. Apart from that, there are tons of other symptoms that get evident at this stage of your journey.
- Constant nausea is a common pregnancy symptom, and you will experience it mostly in the first trimester of your pregnancy. But when expecting twins or multiple babies, you will have to bear these for some more time. Your hormones will be at the highest levels, and their effect will be compounded as a result of multiple babies. If nausea is too severe for you, going for alternative aromas or eating food items that don’t have strong flavours could help you keep it under control.
- As mentioned above, aromas generally work to your benefit, but sometimes it could even be the reason to set in nausea. This is primarily due to the fact that your olfactory senses level up and can spot a range of smells than before.
- You may feel low in energy and have a lost-out exhausted mood of sorts due to the increased amount of blood, the extra pumping that your heart undertakes, the headaches, and the intensive tapping into nutrients. This is pretty natural for women pregnant with twins or multiples.
- If your doctor has given the go-ahead to continue with sexual intercourse, there might be occasions when you spot a little bleeding in the vagina. The sensitivity of the cervix is the culprit here.
- Another strange sign that many women mention around this stage of the pregnancy is the occurrence of absurd dreams. Some might be ecstatic, while others might cause you to wake up sweating. This is basically a result of the changes happening inside your body, and even if you have had a bad dream, there’s no reason to worry about it or be stressed and anxious.
Belly at 8 Weeks Pregnant with Twins
The belly at 8 weeks is not at all evident. You will not see any changes in the size of your waistline, and you won’t see a baby bump either. The belly grows in the later stages of pregnancy.
8 Weeks Twin Ultrasound
Up until now, you must have believed that the hazy black coloured spots and shapes to be your children only because the doctor said so, but by the 8th week of your pregnancy, you will be able to see the clear pictures of your twins or multiple babies. Undergoing an ultrasound scan at this stage will make it easy for you to spot the babies since their limbs would be better formed than before and would be clearly visible.
We can’t stress enough that the health of the expectant mother needs special care during pregnancy; more so when it comes to a twin or multiple pregnancy. You must know what diet must comprise of to be able to bear the babies till the end of the term. Read on to know what you must eat to stay fit during a twin/multiple pregnancy.
What to Eat to Support a Twin or Multiple Pregnancy in the 8th Week
Your diet in the 8th week of pregnancy, and in fact, throughout the pregnancy should constitute of healthy foods. A balanced diet will support the all-round development of your twins or multiples. Protein and calcium intake needs to be substantial since it plays a vital role in the bone and muscle development of the babies. Other vitamins, along with iron and a good amount of folic acid are necessary as well. Combining a good nutritive diet with a healthy amount of water can help reduce the chances of constipation.
Include the following into your diet to ensure you and your baby get all the nutrition you require during this week:
- Consume at least 3 moderate portions of well-cooked fresh vegetables, and two portions of fresh fruits every day.
- Your protein intake can include eggs, meat, oily fish, or pulses. Although pulses can be consumed every day, you may limit your meat and fish intake to 2 to 3 times a week.
- Add carbs to your diet by adding wholegrain, rice, potatoes, etc. in moderate quantities.
- Dairy can be chosen depending on your body’s capacity to tolerate it. You may alternate between milk, cheese, and yoghurt, to keep providing your body with the calcium it needs.
Homemade food is the best way to go about it to ensure your food is nutritious and safe to consume. However, you must rinse the fruits, vegetables, and meat thoroughly and ensure they are cooked properly to aid your digestion which has become sensitive in the 8th week.
Pregnancy Care Tips
The 8th week of pregnancy can be tough for women who are pregnant with multiple babies since it takes a lot from their body to keep the babies healthy and to keep their growth on track. But here are a few tips that can make things easier for you.
- Read up on pregnancy from various books and reliable websites. They can give you a better idea of how your twins or triplets are growing.
- Undertake a full blood and urine exam.
- Your body might not be able to cope with morning sickness and nausea. But, you must not give up food, as the nutrients are required for your babies’ growth. Therefore, eat whatever you can handle and leave what you cannot. You can add those foods to your diet in the later months of your pregnancy.
- You may ask your gynaecologist for supplements if the intake of food is affected to a great extent.
- Stay away from attempting strenuous exercises in an attempt to keep your weight in check. Eating healthy foods and light exercise is the safest measure for you.
- Don’t take any medication for headaches or body pain without checking with your doctor.
- Don’t let stress affect your mental health. Bearing babies takes a toll anyway on your physical and emotional health. Practise meditation to stay calm and positive every day.
While you prepare for the arrival of your twins or multiples, you will need to do some shopping for yourself to get ready for the physical changes your body will be going through. Let’s take a look at what you must shop for in the 8th week of your pregnancy.
What You Need to Shop For
Among the physical changes your body goes through in the 8th week of carrying twins or multiples, the swelling of the breasts will be evident. Your cup size will increase by a size or more. So, you must buy good maternity bras, which are a size larger than what you need so that they can be used easily until the end of your pregnancy.
Your current wardrobe could also seem 1 or 2 sizes smaller. Therefore, buy some comfortable clothing, a size or two bigger than the current size, to get through the coming months.
Shift to comfortable footwear too. Good shoes will help you maintain a good posture and your energy levels through the day.
For a woman who is 8 weeks pregnant with twins or triplets, the first couple of months can be quite tough and may worry you about the months to come. However, do not stress yourself, as with time, everything will be fine.
Previous Week: Twin Pregnancy Week 7
Next Week: Twin Pregnancy Week 9