In this Article
Last Updated on
Vegetable Upma for babies is a quick and very easy-to-make dish. It is easy to chew and can be enjoyed by toddlers. It’s a great dish to add vegetables in disguise to give the required nutrition to your kids. This vegetable upma can be made with sooji or rava and can also be enjoyed by the rest of the family. Another advantage of this dish is that you can personalize it by choosing which vegetables you want and you can also change the consistency of the dish depending on how your baby likes it by adding less or more water. This is a super healthy, light and delicious dish that can be cooked in no time. Follow this recipe to try it on your own.
Type of Meal
‘above 10 months of age
Breakfast, Lunch or Evening Snack
Side-Dish / Snack
|Ingredients||Quantity and Volume|
|Semolina (Sooji/Rava)||¾ cup|
|Mustard Seeds||¼ tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1 pinch|
|Jeera Powder||½ tsp|
|Mashed Vegetables||3-4 tbsp|
|Chopped Coriander Leaves||2 tbsp|
Read this step by step recipe on how to make Vegetable Upma and you can cook this easy and delicious meal for your toddlers in no time.
- Turn on the gas stove and heat the pan.
- Add sooji to the pan and roast it on low flame for around 5 minutes. Keep stirring it as it’s roasting.
- As the sooji starts turning to light brown color, add 1 tbsp of ghee to it.
- Continue roasting it for a couple of more minutes while stirring it.
- Add water. You can add 2 cups of water if you want a runny upma which will be better and easier to eat for kids younger than 1 year. You can add 1 cup of water if you are making it for older kids.
- Once the sooji is boiling, lower the flame and let it sit and simmer and stop when it has reached the consistency you prefer.
- Take another pan and heat it.
- To this pan, add ghee and jeera powder.
- Stir it and add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- To the pan, add mashed vegetables.
- To prepare mashed vegetables, take fresh vegetables according to your or your baby’s preference, and boil them. Once boiled properly, mash them finely depending on the consistency you want.
- After mixing vegetables in the second pan, add it to the cooked sooji and mix well.
- After mixing, your upma is ready. Add some ghee before serving it.
Remember these tips to help you make your easy Vegetable Upma recipe for toddlers:
- Keep your preferred vegetables mashed before starting to cook.
- Wash the vegetables carefully before using them.
- Add one cup of water to the sooji first, and depending on the consistency you can add more. Add more water to make it runny if your child is younger than 1 year to make it easy to chew.
Nutrition Information (Per 100 Grams)
|Vitamin A||49.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||27.4 mcg|
Some of the benefits of homemade Vegetable Upma are:
- Semolina is a great source of magnesium and phosphorus which helps in keeping the nervous system healthy.
- Semolina is rich in iron and iron has a lot of functions in our body like transporting oxygen through blood, growth, and development and for the immune system.
- Semolina is an excellent source of Vitamin A.
- Compared to white flour, semolina flour is digested at a slower rate, which helps maintain blood sugar levels for people with diabetes.
- Semolina provides energy as it contains carbohydrates. It is good for kids as it is a high-carb food.
- Semolina flour contains many essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, which helps boost many body functions.
- Make sure you buy good quality products from a reputed store.
- Buy semolina only from a known and good company.
- Buy vegetables from a hygienic and good store.