In this Article
Last Updated on
Pregnancy can make you reach out for specific food items simply because of cravings or because you think those would be good for you. Mosambi or sweet lime might be one of them, especially if you’ve been a fan of the fruit for a long time. Mosambi juice is loved by all, but is it safe to consume during pregnancy? Let’s find out!
What Is Sweet Lime?
In India, sweet lime is known as ‘mosambi‘. It is greenish-yellow in colour and found in several parts of the country. Although ‘sweet lime’ belongs to the family of lemons, the tangy flavour is subdued as the sweetness is quite high in this citrus fruit.
Is It Safe to Drink Sweet Lime Juice During Pregnancy?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to drink sweet lime juice during pregnancy. The factors that decide is the sweet lime juice is unhealthy or unsafe is the environment it is made in and the ingredients added to it. Therefore, you must always drink freshly squeezed sweet lime juice, preferably homemade. Restaurants may water it down and add sugar to enhance the flavour, and because you wouldn’t know what kind of water was added to the juice, you might be risking your health.
Now, let’s take a look at the benefits of drinking sweet lime juice.
Benefits of Drinking Sweet Lime Juice During Pregnancy
Sweet lime juice is relished by almost all women due to its sweet and tangy taste. However, besides its taste, the juice has its share of health benefits too. Know how it is good for you during pregnancy:
- Presence of calcium and potassium in sweet lime supports the growth of the foetus.
- As sweet lime has cooling properties, it helps maintain a certain temperature around the uterus and makes it conducive for rapid brain development of the foetus.
- It is also known to boost blood circulation.
- The fibrous nature assists bowel movements and stimulates digestion, thus provides relief from constipation.
- The inherent antioxidants and antibiotics of the fruit are known to provide relief from ulcers.
- Rich in vitamin C, this fruit helps satisfy the body’s need for the vitamin in judicious quantities.
- If you are suffering from diabetes, drinking sweet lime juice with amla and honey will help you maintain a proper sugar level in the body.
- Drinking sweet lime juice with cumin (jeera) seeds and ginger powder provides relief from respiratory problems.
Sweet lime juice, acts as a natural detoxifier, necessary for a healthy body and glowing skin.
These health benefits must have tempted you to consume some delicious sweet lime juice. But, as mentioned earlier, consume juice that is freshly squeezed and made in front of your eyes. Here’s how you make sweet lime juice for yourself.
How to Prepare Sweet Lime Juice
Here is a simple way to prepare sweet lime juice –
- Sweet lime – 3 to 4
- Black salt – 1 pinch
- Cumin powder – 1 pinch
- Sugar or honey – 1 teaspoon (optional)
How to Make
- The juice from the sweet lime can be extracted either by using an electronic or manual juicer. In both cases, make sure you remove the seeds.
- If you are using an electronic juicer, peel off the skin and cut the sweet lime into small pieces.
- Put all the pieces into the juicer and switch it on. Keep it on for a while till you get a smooth liquid.
- You can pour it in a glass as it is or strain.
- Add some sugar or honey taste.
- Sprinkle some black salt and cumin powder and mix well.
- You can keep the glass in the refrigerator and allow it to cool to drink it chilled.
Precautions to Take Before Drinking Sweet Lime Juice
Sweet lime juice tastes delicious, and in pregnancy, your craving for it may increase. But when you are pregnant, you should be careful before eating or drinking anything. Here are a few precautionary measures you should consider before drinking sweet lime juice when pregnant:
- When drinking sweet lime juice, avoid drinking it from roadside stalls or other shops. Their preparation techniques may not be hygienic, and you don’t want to take chances during pregnancy.
- While buying sweet lime, ensure that it is fresh and does not show any signs of decay. Fresh sweet lime also contains fewer preservatives making it even healthier.
- If you have a cold or are susceptible to it, it is advisable not to add any ice to the juice. Also, do not refrigerate it for too long.
- If the juice is too thick for you, do not dilute it by adding normal water. Use water that is freshly filtered or boil the water and let it cool. Then add it to the juice.
- Many women may have gas or other problem due to black salt or cumin. In such cases, do not add them to the juice.
- Do not squeeze the juice and store in the fridge. Consuming it could cause stomach ache and other issues. Always drink freshly squeezed sweet lime juice.
Eating sweet lime comes with its own share of benefits. But, sweet lime juice acts as a nutritious drink and provides relief from the hot weather. Drinking sweet lime juice during pregnancy is one of the best ways to ensure a balance of nutrients, minerals, and other vitamins in your body. Making it a regular in your diet wouldn’t harm you, and you can enjoy it throughout your pregnancy.
Also Read: Healthy Pregnancy Juices