In this Article
You might have heard people say that it is important to have a nutritious and healthy diet whenever planning a pregnancy. Vitamin C also might be one of the vitamins your doctor recommends because it helps enhance immunity among other things. However, did you know that vitamin C can also come in handy in case you want to prevent getting pregnant? Yes, it’s true – vitamin C acts as a natural contraceptive, preventing pregnancy. How can you make use of this to prevent pregnancy? Read on.
How Does Vitamin C Help Prevent Pregnancy?
Vitamin C contains ascorbic acid. Consuming it in more than required amounts tends to hamper with progesterone levels, an essential hormone in pregnancy. This hampering leads to the uterus being unable to support conception – progesterone helps prepare the uterus for the implantation of the egg, and the lack of progesterone can prevent implantation and hence, conception.
What Can the Overdose of Vitamin C Lead To?
A limited dosage of vitamin C can be beneficial – it is also prescribed to pregnant women to support a healthy pregnancy. Can high doses of vitamin C prevent pregnancy? The next two section deal with this question.
Will It Lead To Miscarriage?
If you are a pregnant woman, you must be extremely careful with your vitamin C intake because a high dosage can lead to a hostile environment for the fertilised egg in your uterus. It may loosen the grip of the egg, and the egg may not be able to attach itself to the uterine lining, causing a miscarriage. The acidity present in vitamin C fiddles with estrogen levels in the body, which affect the sex hormones in the body. Are you looking for a natural way of preventing pregnancy? Start taking a higher dosage of vitamin C before your ovulation cycle starts.
Vitamin C can have other impacts on your body too. For example, your menstrual cycle might arrive earlier than expected. The cycle in most women goes from 28 to 30 days – increased amounts of vitamin C in your body can reduce the levels of progesterone and increase the levels of estrogen, causing the uterus to relax and begin menstruation.
Ways To Use Vitamin C To Prevent Pregnancy
Here are some ways you can use vitamin C to avoid pregnancy:
1. Lemons have a high concentration of vitamin C. Including lemons in your diet in the form of juice or anything else can effectively keep pregnancy at bay. However, beware – taking higher amounts of lemon juice when pregnant can lead to a miscarriage.
2. Can vitamin C tablets prevent pregnancy? Yes. They act as emergency contraceptive pills. You can ingest these pills to avoid your chances of getting pregnant. However, make sure to take pure vitamin C pills and not ones with additives.
3. If you have had any kind of unprotected sex with your partner, inserting a vitamin C tablet can help prevent pregnancy. You may be required to insert the tablets two times a day for at least 3 days to prevent the conception process. Sometimes, this can cause rashes or irritation, for which you can use aloe vera for a soothing effect.
4. You can also place the vitamin C tablets inside your vagina before you have unprotected sex with your partner. The acidity causes a hostile environment for the sperms, thus preventing pregnancy.
5. You can add fruits rich in vitamin C – papaya, pineapple, sugarcane, oranges – in your daily diet to save yourself from any kind of unplanned pregnancy.
Unplanned or unwanted pregnancies can be troublesome. If you are looking for ways to prevent pregnancy naturally, vitamin C is a great option. You could either consume Vitamin C rich food or consume Vitamin C supplements. However, it is important to keep in mind that excess amounts can lead to other issues such as heartburn, bloating, cramping, diarrhoea, etc.