Last Updated on
Reading books to kids is essential; I would recommend reading out storybooks to them from a very young age, in fact as early as they are merely days old.
Reading books to children can help develop their interest in many new things. Books can help them learn and grow in a better way and become better individuals. By reading to kids, they can learn about different cultures, nations, behaviours, and can work on their vocabulary, grammar, language and much more. It helps in developing their intellectual skills and concentration.
I started reading to my daughter when she was in the NICU; I used to read out to her in the little time I used to get to spend with her. She loved to hear my voice and gradually I noticed she used to smile when I started reading to her. As she grew, I got many books for her, and I noticed that she had already developed an interest in books; and though my little one doesn’t read yet, she turns around the pages and goes through the pictures.
Developing the habit of reading books to kids at a young age is a tedious task; as their attention span lasts only for 10-15 minutes, so make sure that you spend a dedicated amount of time with them to develop the habit of reading in them. In order to get your children to develop a liking for reading, here’s how you can begin:
- If you want to start reading to them, get hard bound books as they do not tear.
- Make sure the books are colorful with lots of pictures in them, as the pictures will interest your kids.
- Take out 10-15 minutes every day to read and make it a daily ritual.
- Ask them to spend time with their storybooks.
- Most importantly, make sure to keep your mobile away while doing this as they will develop interest only if shown interest.It’s pretty easy to develop a new habit in children, especially one such as reading from an early age so that they are acquainted to books. Apart from developing their language, books can also develop their intellectual skills and concentration which will help them grow academically and make sure to secure good grades in school.
Books are a man’s best friend, as he can carry them along everywhere and anywhere and even in little time, read a page or two.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.