Lactogenic Food Recipes for Moms With Low Breast Milk Supply
I am the mother of twin babies. And I faced the problem of inadequate breast milk. Then I started researching foods that increase breast milk. I started making recipes with sesame seeds, fennel, fenugreek, unripe papaya, cumin, garlic, carrots, bitter gourd, watermelon, curry leaves (the foods that help to lactate). Here are some of my traditional recipes.
1. Fenugreek and Rice Porridge
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 50 grams
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Cumin powder – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 4 cup
How To Make
- Wash and soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Wash and soak basmati rice for half an hour.
- Cook the fenugreek seeds, rice, and garlic cloves in 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 4 whistles.
- After cooking the rice and seeds, mash them well.
- Meanwhile, you can extract coconut milk by grinding coconut with 1/ 2 cup of water.
- Squeeze it with a metal strainer.
- Add coconut milk to rice, and fenugreek, and mix properly.
- Add some salt depending on your taste.
- Heat the rice on medium flame.
- Add 1 tablespoon cumin powder (it smells good). Bring to a porridge texture. Turn off the gas and serve lukewarm.
2. Bitter Gourd Pickle
- Bitter gourd – 2
- Fenugreek powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic – 20 cloves
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 5 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 5 sprigs
- Vinegar – 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds – 2 tablespoons
How To Make
- Wash the bitter gourds and remove the seeds. Use a slicer to slice the bitter gourds.
- Take a bowl and mix these slice with 1 tablespoon salt. Cover and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Chop the cloves of garlic.
- Squeeze and fry the bitter gourds in coconut oil till they turn golden in colour.
- Add chopped garlic, mustard seeds and curry leaves after frying. Keep aside.
- Take a bowl and add the vinegar. Add 5 tablespoons of Kashmiri chilli, turmeric powder, salt as required and fenugreek powder, and mix well.
- Add the fried mixture to the vinegar mixture and mix well. Serve. (You can also store in an airtight container for 1 or 2 months.)
Note: Fenugreek rice and bitter gourd pickle is the best combination.
3. Sesame Laddoo
- Sesame seeds – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tablespoon
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Heat the kadai, add sesame seeds and dry roast on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add 1 tablespoon ghee. After the ghee melts, add jaggery while cooking on low flame.
- After the jaggery melts, add roasted sesame seeds, mix well. Then add cardamom powder and roast well. Turn off the gas.
- Take a plate and grease with ghee.
- Transfer this mixture to the plate.
- Wet your palm with ghee and make small balls.
4. Carrot Milkshake
- Carrot – 1, large
- Milk – 1 cup
- Cardamom – 1 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cashews – 10
- Chilled milk – 1/2 cup
How To Make
- Thinly slice the carrots.
- Add the sliced carrots and 1 cup of milk to a saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Take a pan and roast cashews and cardamom.
- Pour the boiled carrot mixture to a juicer and add the roasted cashews, cardamom, 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup chilled milk and blend well.
- When it becomes of milkshake texture, pour in a glass and serve it.
5. Unripe Papaya Salad
- Green papaya – 1/2
- Garlic cloves – 4 cloves
- Green chilli – 2
- Grated jaggery – 4 tablespoons
- Soy sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Lime juice – 3 tablespoons
- Tomato – 1
- Salt as required
- Peanuts – 8
How To Make
- Peel and grate the papaya after removing the seeds and inner membrane.
- Grind the garlic cloves, and green chillies together to make a smooth paste.
- Roast peanuts in a pan.
- Take a bowl and add garlic-chilli paste, grated jaggery, cut tomatoes, grates papaya, lime juice, soy sauce, and salt as required and mix well.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts.
6. Fennel Seeds Water
- Fennel seed and water
How To Make
- Boil water in a deep pan. Add 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds and boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame. Cover for 10 minutes.
- After cool, drink it.
Tips for Increasing Breast Milk
- Follow food charts.
- Add curry leaves to curries.
- Add fenugreek powder and cumin to food.
- Eat watermelon.
- Drink fennel seeds water instead of plain water.
- Avoid alcohol (alcohol lowers the production of milk).
- Breastfeed more, because when your baby sucks, your breast hormones are triggered to produce milk.
- Feed from both breasts.
- Add ginger garlic paste to curry.
- Eat green leafy vegetables.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.