Riddles give our brains a good workout by making us think in uncommon ways. Whether you’re spending some quality time with your kids at home or out with other children, it’s fun to know a few riddles to break the boredom, especially the funny what am I riddles. Here is a collection of some great what am I riddles and answers for children with increasing difficulty to keep the children thinking and entertained wherever you go.
Easy ‘What Am I’ Riddles
Here is some simple ‘guess what I am riddles’ for kids:
1. I’m hot and I live in the sky. I’m bright; don’t look directly at me. I will disappear at night. What am I?
A. The Sun
2. I’m round and I go up and down. You can throw me and you can catch me. Please be careful with me near the windows. What am I?
3. I’m red, blood pumps through me, and I live in your body. I’m the symbol for love, please don’t break me. What am I?
4. Please be patient, I’m new to the world. I cry a lot, please give me milk. Everyone smiles at me, please pick me up. What am I?
5. I come in many different colours and I get bigger when I’m full. I will float away if you don’t tie me down and I will make a loud sound if I break. What am I?
6. I’m beautiful in many different colours. I smell nice; you can pick me if you want. I will live for a long time just don’t forget to water me. What am I?
7. I’m usually green and brown. With rain, I can live for a long time. I’m a house for a bird and kids love to climb me. What am I?
8. I will keep you entertained with my comedy and my drama. I’m shaped like a cube and I can attach to your wall. What am I?
9. I am a tasty treat you can lick with your tongue. I come in a bowl or a cone. One of my common flavours is vanilla. What am I?
A. Ice Cream
10. I get wet when drying. I get dirty when wiping. What am I?
11. I’m red but I can be green at times and I am even yellow. What am I?
A. An Apple
12. I have no eyes and no legs. I have no ears and am strong enough to move the earth. What am I?
A. An Earthworm
13. I have one eye but cannot see. What am I?
A. A Needle
14. You can catch me but cannot throw me. What am I?
15. You are my brother, but I am not your brother. Who am I?
A. Your Sister
16. If I drink, I die. If I eat, I am fine. What am I?
17. As a state in America. I am round on both sides and high in the middle. What am I?
18. I shrink smaller every time I take a bath. What am I?
19. I am invisible. Who am I?
20. I have a face but no eyes, hands but no arms. What am I?
Medium-Difficult ‘What Am I’ Riddles
These are a little bit tougher and have ‘what am I’ animal riddles.
1. I am the only thing that places today before yesterday. What am I?
2. Tear me off and scratch my head, what once red is now black. What am I?
3. I am full of holes, but I can still hold a lot of water. What am I?
4. I am full of keys, but I cannot open any doors. What am I?
5. The more you take away from me, the larger I become. What am I?
6. I am a ball that can be rolled but never bounced or thrown. What am I?
A. An Eyeball
7. I can jump, and I can climb. With my many legs, I swing from tree to tree. I can make a house much bigger than me. What am I?
8. I have four legs but no tail. Usually, I’m heard only at night. What am I?
9. I give milk and I have a horn, but I’m not a cow. What am I?
A. Milk Truck
10. I come out at night without being called. I’m lost in the day without being stolen. What am I?
11. I can fly without wings and cry without eyes. What am I?
12. I have a spine but no bones. What am I?
13. I jump when I walk and sit when I stand. What am I?
14. I’m soft and hairy from door to door. I’m the pet that always stays on the floor. What am I?
15. I can run but not walk. Wherever I go, you are close behind. What am I?
16. I can wake you up in the morning without electricity, batteries, or winding. What am I?
17. I have a frame, but no pictures. I have poles, but I don’t stand up. What am I?
18. I have wheels and flies, but I’m not an airplane. What am I?
A. Garbage Truck
19. I’m the part of the bird that’s not in the sky. I can swim in the ocean and yet remain dry. What am I?
20. Say my name and I disappear. What am I?
Hardest ‘What Am I’ Riddles
Here are the hard ones with some ‘what am I’ riddles.
1. I am associated with Spring, I love to hop in the grass, I play in your vegetable garden, my teeth are long and sharp, I am soft to pet. What am I?
2. I am not alive, but I grow; I don’t have lungs, but I need air; I don’t have a mouth, but water kills me. What am I?
3. I make two people out of one. What am I?
4. I am white when I am dirty, and black when I am clean. What am I?
5. I am as light as a feather, yet no man can hold it for long. What am I?
6. I went to London and have been to Rome. I could go to India and sometimes I get sent home. I do all of this by simply sitting in a corner. What am I?
7. I can be cracked and I can be made. I can be told and sometimes played. What am I?
8. I am black when you get me, red when you use me, and white when you’re all through with me. What am I?
9. I take off my clothes when you put on your clothes. I put on my clothes when you take off your clothes. What am I?
A. Clothes Hanger
10. I am gentle enough to soothe your skin, light enough to fly in the sky, strong enough to crack rocks. What am I?
11. Born in the ocean and white as snow. When I fall back to the water I disappear without a trace. What am I?
12. I have an eye but cannot see. I am stronger and faster than any man alive but have no limbs. Who am I?
13. Although I may have eyes, I cannot see. I have a round brown face with lots of acne. What am I?
14. I come in many colours, so beautiful and bright, I turn so many houses into a beautiful sight. What am I?
A. Christmas Lights
15. You use a knife to slice my head and weep beside me when I am dead. What am I?
A. An Onion
16. I am strong enough to smash ships, but I fear the Sun. What am I?
17. You answer me, although I never ask you questions. What am I?
18. A slender body, a tiny eye, no matter what happens, I never cry. What am I?
19. The more of these you take, the more appear behind you. What am I?
20. If you allow me to live I shall not live long, but if you kill me I shall stay longer. Who am I?
Riddle can make children think and laugh at the same time. The answers to most often don’t require too much thinking but a quick wit is what it takes to figure it out instantly. You can start with the simpler ones for the young children and shoot the tougher riddles at the older kids.