10 IUI Success Tips To Increase Your Chances of Pregnancy
Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at email@example.com
Everybody wants children at some point, but conceiving a child can be just a dream for some couples. When a woman can’t conceive naturally, it becomes an emotional struggle for the family. A couple’s inability to conceive causes conflict within their family. Such couples now have cause for optimism, nevertheless. With advancements in medical sciences, various methods of conception are now available. One is IUI, Intrauterine Insemination, which we shall discuss in depth. The following IUI success suggestions can help couples who want to have a family enhance their chances of conception. The couple’s age, sperm count, and tubal patency (the state of the fallopian tubes being open) are all factors that affect IUI success rates.
Video: 10 Tips for a Successful IUI Procedure
How Does IUI Work?
Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is a fertility treatment that involves transferring semen from the male partner into the female partner’s uterus. The goal is to increase the number of sperm that reach the fallopian tubes and, in turn, increase the chances of fertilisation.
First, the female partner’s eggs are closely monitored. Ovulation-stimulating medicines may also be administered. When ovulation is near, the IUI procedure is performed. The semen is separated from the seminal fluid and, with the use of a catheter, inserted into the uterus. It takes just a few minutes.
Who Can Opt for IUI?
IUI can be opted for by:
- Women who have abnormalities in their cervical muscles and patent fallopian tubes
- Men who suffer from ejaculation dysfunction, and
- Lesbian couples.
IUI works for some and doesn’t for others because it depends on the individual’s biological condition. So, it’s best to reach out to an expert to get an idea about your odds.
Who Shouldn’t Opt for IUI?
IUI is not recommended in the following cases:
- Your fallopian tubes are severely affected.
- You have a medical history of pelvic infections.
- You suffer from moderate or severe endometriosis.
The success rates of IUI are 10% – 30%. If you’ve decided to go ahead with IUI, here are some useful tips and suggestions to improve your IUI success rate.
What Are the Symptoms of Infertility?
You should be aware of the following infertility signs:
- You’ve been trying to conceive for six months and are 35 years of age or older.
- After engaging in unprotected sexual activity for a year, you are under 35 years old and have not become pregnant.
- You’ve had at least two consecutive miscarriages.
- The most typical signs of infertility in women include irregular or heavy periods, no periods, pain during intercourse, and painful periods.
- Changes in sexual desire, pain or swelling in the testicles, issues sustaining an erection, and small, hard testicles are typical indicators of male infertility. You ought to see a doctor if you experience any of the symptoms.
Tips and Suggestions to Make IUI Successful
Not every artificial insemination technique works on every woman who wants to have a baby. Some factors like age, health condition and stress levels play an important role in the success of IUI. Here are some tips you can follow to make your IUI pregnancy successful:
1. Meet a Fertility Expert
The IUI process is governed by a reproductive endocrinologist who can even cancel cycles if too many eggs are produced. Sometimes, experts suggest other ways of conception, so make sure you’re reaching out to the right person for treatment.
2. Do Your Research
If you’ve chosen IUI because of infertility, then you should go for easy-on-the-pocket options such as IVF. For women above 40 years of age, IVF is more effective than IUI.
3. Eat Healthily
Your diet influences the success rate of IUI. Add more protein-rich foods to your plate and cut down on carbs. In fact, even if you’re struggling with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), switching to a healthier diet can increase the chances of conception. A good diet always makes way for a better pregnancy.
4. Start Exercising
Moderate exercise is also good after IUI. However, rigorously working out isn’t recommended by experts. You just need to be active and not sit in a stationary position for long.
5. Avoid Smoking
As per research, women who smoke need more gonadotropin doses for ovarian stimulation. This negatively affects the IUI success rate. Hence, quit smoking.
6. De-stress and Control Anxiety
Don’t stress yourself out. Going through IUI may lead to an emotional upheaval, but learn to relax and have realistic expectations. This will make your body react positively to IUI.
7. Try Acupuncture
Acupuncture practitioners/ authorities recommend acupuncture therapies to increases the flow of blood and eventually improve the quality of the egg. Although allopathy doesn’t recommend it, acupuncture authorities state the therapy could increase chances of getting pregnant.
8. Take Prescribed Supplements
Coenzyme Q10 (Co Q10) and DHEA are supplements that are quite helpful as they improve fertility, and indirectly improve IUI. Bear in mind that these medicines must be prescribed by your doctor.
9. Have Sex After IUI
Doctors say that having sex after IUI actually helps. This is because, during sex, the uterus begins to contract, and pushes the sperm towards the fallopian tubes, making the process more efficient.
10. Be Happy
Do things that make you feel happy and content. Those who believe in the Law of Attraction say that you attract what you imagine. So, when you want to get pregnant, your life must reflect the joy of having a baby.
What Can I Eat After IUI for Success
The success rate of IUI is influenced by what you eat. You need to eat fewer carbohydrates and foods higher in protein. A healthy diet can increase your chances of getting pregnant and also comes under good tips for successful IUI with PCOS. Therefore, a healthy, balanced diet always contributes to a better pregnancy. Let’s talk about the best foods to eat following IUI.
Foods to Eat
Some foods to eat for better and more successful IUI are as follows:
- Consume a lot of dry fruits.
- Eat as many leafy veggies as you can.
- Consume only homemade, fresh food.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Avoid consuming fish with high mercury levels.
- Take six little meals per day or six tiny meals in total.
- Increase your intake of quinoa, brown rice, and other complex carbohydrates.
- Avoid eating hot, spicy foods or foods high in acid or that could cause irritable bowel syndrome.
- Fruits, like grapes, papaya, and pineapple, should be avoided because they might cause bleeding or break down the endometrial barrier, which can lead to miscarriage.
What Are the Risks of IUI?
IUI has its downsides as well. These are:
- You may become pregnant with multiples if fertility medication is taken during IUI.
- There is a risk of infection after the procedure.
Some couples can’t conceive naturally. Earlier, women who couldn’t give birth were rejected and shunned. However, over the years, things have changed. Thanks to science and technology, it’s now possible for couples to conceive and have a baby despite all the roadblocks that may come their way.
1. How Can You Keep Sperm Alive for IUI?
It’s advisable to wait two to three days between ejaculation and collection to get better outcomes. Only a few days during the sperm cycle will mature sperm inside the male body. They then start to decompose and are destroyed by white blood cells.
2. What Foods Should Be Avoided After IUI?
Let us help you with some IUI treatment success tips. After IUI, stay away from processed foods, sugary drinks, alcoholic beverages, spicy and difficult-to-digest dishes, as well as too much seafood (since it contains mercury). Consult your doctor before eating fruits, like papaya and pineapple, since some medical professionals think they can thin the blood and damage the endometrial layer.
3. How Long Does IUI Sperm Stay Alive in the Uterus?
Combining IUI with sexual activity may improve coverage because sperm can live up to 5 days in fertile mucus, with 2-3 days being frequent.
4. Can I Eat Curd After IUI?
We often ask ourselves, “what can I do to help IUI”. a diet high in whole milk, cream cheese, yoghurt, and other full-fat dairy products may enhance fertility.
5. Should I Drink Lots of Water Before IUI?
Drinking water before IUI is great; by doing so, the uterus might lean back, making it simpler to insert the IUI catheter.
Progesterone after IUI
IUI vs IVF: Which One is Best for You
Side-Effects and Risks of IUI Treatment
Pregnancy Symptoms After a Successful IUI