Last Updated on
Pregnancy is a huge milestone – as a pregnant woman, you will be bringing a new life into this world. Pregnant women do everything in their power to make sure that their little ones are comfortable and taken care of. But, more often than not, mothers forget that they too, need to be taken care of and feel comfortable. If you’re pregnant, comfort should be on the top of the list because your body, as well as your mind, needs it for a safe and healthy pregnancy. Wearing the right clothes during pregnancy is not a luxury, but a necessity as it will keep you comfy while you grow. So, what should you wear during pregnancy? This article should help you get your pregnancy wardrobe in place. Let’s begin with why pregnant women need comfortable clothes.
Why Pregnant Women Should Wear Comfortable Clothes
Can clothes affect your health during pregnancy? Here are some reasons why you should wear comfortable clothing during pregnancy:
- Your body changes drastically during pregnancy. So, you need to wear clothes that are not just comfortable, but appropriate for your growing body as well.
- During pregnancy, your body is on high alert because of the drastic hormonal changes, which commonly lead to skin sensitivity, making your body prone to skin allergy and rashes. Wearing clothes made out of the right fabric is imperative if you want to avoid any type of skin irritation.
- The first trimester of pregnancy is synonymous with nausea and vomiting for most women. Wearing uncomfortable clothes is not the wisest decision, as you’re just contributing to feeling worse. Clothes that are tight can cause heartburn and indigestion, which in turn can cause nausea and vomiting.
- Going through nine months of pregnancy means you’ll be going through different seasons as well. A lot of pregnant women find summers too hot and winters too cold. Wearing cotton clothes during summer can keep you cool as the fabric absorbs sweat. Woollens, on the other hand, can keep you warm during winter.
- The sleeping posture changes during pregnancy, especially during the final trimester. Loose, soft, and comfortable clothes, especially nightwear, help you get sound sleep and prep your body for the delivery.
Now you know that you need to focus on loose, soft and comfortable clothing. But, what exactly can you wear, and how should you choose your clothes? Read on to know more.
What Types of Clothes You Should Wear During Pregnancy
Pregnancy can come in the way of your fashion statement, especially when your favourite pair of jeans and tops don’t come anywhere close to fitting you right. However, all hope is not lost, because you can still look like a million dollars and be comfortable as well. The tips given below will show you how.
- Cotton is your best friend. Wear cotton clothes that are loose and breathable. Cotton helps absorb sweat and keeps you cool. Cotton also happens to be skin-friendly and helps you prevent skin rashes.
- Go for pants or skirts that can be fastened with a drawstring, as opposed to those that have a belt or zipper. This way, you can adjust the clothing around your waist as per your convenience. Drawstrings are easy on your skin too.
- Wear clothes that provide ample support to your growing belly. You can choose from a range of maternity tops and bottoms that provide support to the baby bump.
- With pregnancy, your waist and breasts increase in size. So, discard your old inners and get new ones that fit appropriately. You might want to invest in good quality nursing bras which will be useful post delivery too. Also, avoid wearing underwire or padded bras, as this can inhibit blood circulation, and in some cases, cause lumps due to fluid retention.
- Wraparounds are not just trendy and classy; they’re extremely comfortable as well. Invest in these, and team them up with tank tops or tunics.
- You can wear clothes that have elastics, but make sure they aren’t too tight.
- Frequent visits to the loo to urinate are common during pregnancy. Buy clothes keeping this in mind. You’ll find skirts and dresses extremely useful as they will make your life easy during the pregnancy term.
- Avoid unnatural fabrics like synthetics, elastin, chiffon and georgette. Your hormones are on overdrive, owing to which you will sweat excessively. Wearing these materials will make it worse.
- Wear clean clothes during pregnancy. The last thing you need is an infection or skin rash.
- Maxi dresses, loose shirts, gowns, tunics, and wraparounds are a few appropriate choices because they are easy to wear and comfortable too. Lookup for loose dresses to wear during pregnancy.
Things to Remember While Choosing Pregnancy Clothes
Here are some things you must remember before buying clothes during pregnancy.
- Firstly, as mentioned above, your waistline grows in a matter of months during pregnancy. So, ensure you buy clothes that do not fit the current shape of the body. Always go for loose clothing in light fabrics.
- You need to know what to wear during the summer. The hot weather and the drastic hormonal imbalances will cause excessive sweating. And, this is why investing in light coloured cotton clothes is a must. Summer is not the time for synthetic clothes at all as it can cause you to sweat more. Make sure your clothes don’t have heavy sequins work or embroidery on them unless you absolutely have to wear such clothes on special occasions.
- During winters, use woollens to keep yourself warm. Your body is sensitive during pregnancy, and you’re taking care of both you and your child. The drop in the mercury level could lead to a cold or even flu during pregnancy. So, invest in soft woollen clothes, socks and gloves to keep yourself warm.
- Another thing you need to keep in mind while shopping for pregnancy clothes is your budget. You can get thrifty and shop at the local store, but make sure that the clothes are of good quality.
- Wear clothes that can be washed often as morning sickness and sweating will get them dirty in no time.
Pregnancy is not just about your baby; it is about you as well. The first step to taking care of your baby is to take care of yourself. Wearing the right set of clothes will keep you comfortable and will lead to a calmer and happier you, and a happier you means a happier baby.