Vomiting in children is not a disease or ailment rather it is an indication of a medical condition that your child may be suffering. Most children despise eating medicines when they are experiencing bouts of vomiting. Under such circumstances you may consider administering some home remedies to cure the symptoms of vomiting. Here in the following article, we shall discuss some easy home remedies for vomiting in children.
Natural Remedies to Stop Vomiting in Kids
Following are some home remedial measures that you may use to effectively manage vomiting and nausea in children:
- Increase the fluid intake: Vomiting can drain your child and the best way to regain the lost energy is through a liquid diet. It is advised to refrain from feeding any solid food to your child for at least 12 hours after the bouts of vomiting stop. Let your kid’s digestion process get in place before you start feeding any solid food to your child. Light vegetable soups, clear broths, and ice-creams are some of the things you may feed your child.
- Ginger Juice: Ginger works well to stop nausea and vomiting. You may take a small piece of ginger and grate it. Squeeze the juice out from the grated ginger and mix few drops of honey to make it palatable. Ginger and honey not only cures nausea but aids in the digestion process.
- Mint Juice: Fresh mint is very effective in curing vomiting and nausea. You may take few fresh mint leaves and extract the juice after grinding it (1 spoon). Add 1 spoon lemon juice to the mint juice. You may add a little honey to this mixture to add taste. Alternatively, you can give few fresh mint leaves to your kid to chew.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon helps in soothing and calming the stomach. It provides relief from nausea and vomiting. You can make cinnamon tea by boiling a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water for a few minutes. Strain it and add honey to it, make your child drink this tea to prevent vomiting.
- Rice Starch or Rice Water: Rice water helps in curing vomiting that result from gastritis. White rice is a better option rather than taking brown rice for making rice water. You may take a cup of white rice and boil it in two cups of water. Once the rice is done, strain the excess water or starch and make your kid drink this water to stop the vomiting.
- Cardamom Seeds: One of the most effective Indian home remedies for vomiting in children is cardamom seeds. Cardamom seeds have calming effects on your child’s tummy, and it also helps in easing nausea and vomiting. You may take half a teaspoon of cardamom seeds and grind them, add little sugar and give this mixture to your kid to get relief from vomiting.
- Cloves: Cloves really work well to get rid of bouts of vomiting, and it is also good for digestion. If your child can chew cloves, you may give few cloves for chewing, or you may also make clove tea by boiling few cloves in a cup of water. You may add a teaspoon of honey in the clove tea.
- Fennel Seeds: Fennels seeds are one of the most effective natural remedy for vomiting child. The antimicrobial properties of fennel seeds work wonders to cure nausea and vomiting in children. You may boil a teaspoon of fennel seeds and boil it in a cup of water for ten minutes. Strain and give this to the child to drink 3-4 times a day.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The antimicrobial properties of apple cider vinegar work really well to prevent nausea and vomiting. The vinegar is also effective in calming the stomach and helps in detoxification also. Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of water and make your child sip it throughout the day.
- Onion Juice: Onions are a rich source of natural antibiotics. You may effectively ward off your kid’s vomiting bouts with onion juice. You may take equal amounts of onion and ginger juice and mix well. Make your child sip this juice several times a day. Alternatively, you may add organic honey to the onion juice to ease nausea and vomiting.
- Cumin Seeds: This wondrous spice is very effective in curing digestive issues by helping in stimulating secretion of pancreatic enzymes. You may use cumin seeds to help your child in getting rid of the queasy feeling. Roast and powder a teaspoon of cumin seeds. Add the powdered cumin seeds in hot water and give this decoction to your child to sip. You may also add a dash of nutmeg powder to it. Another way of taking cumin seeds is mixing it with powdered cardamom and honey. Make your kid lick this spice mix slowly.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is known for its soothing and calming properties. It also works well in aiding digestion and inducing peaceful sleep in children by keeping nauseous feelings at bay. Infuse a teaspoon of chamomile in hot water and add honey to it. Give this tea to your kid two to three times a day.
- Lavender Oil: This aromatic oil helps in elevating the feeling of freshness in kids suffering from bouts of vomiting. This fragrant oil helps in curing headache associated with nausea and induces peaceful sleep in children. You may put few drops of lavender oil on your child’s pillow or napkin and let your kid inhale to feel better.
These are some easy home remedies that you may immediately start giving to your child; however, if your child is not responding to the above-mentioned home remedial measures or your kid’s condition deteriorates, you should seek medical help.
Though most bouts of vomiting can be cured at home; however, it is suggested that you should consult your doctor before administering any of the above-mentioned home remedies to your kid.
Also Read: Forceful Vomiting In Children