Pregnancy is one of the best phases of a woman’s life. As soon as she finds out that a little life is growing inside her body, she starts nurturing and loving it unconditionally. She starts taking care of herself even more.
Staying hydrated during pregnancy is as important as eating. Instead of eating for two, eating right and staying hydrated is crucial. Many women tend to eat more and drink less during this time. And I was one of them. I realised this only when I was diagnosed with oligohydramnios. Oligohydramnios is a condition of low amniotic fluid. A number of injections, glucose bottles, and medicines are what saved my baby girl who still was born prematurely due to my low amniotic fluid. So to avoid complications during pregnancy and to ensure that the baby grows properly, one should have plenty of fluids during pregnancy.
Here’s How You Can Stay Hydrated during Pregnancy
- Try to drink at least 2 litres of water every day.
- Include juices, soups, coconut water, buttermilk, and milk in your routine diet.
- Try to avoid strenuous exercises which can cause overheating of your body which in turn results in loss of water.
- Eat fruits like watermelon, banana, apples and oranges as it can hydrate your body.
- Avoid stress because it indirectly affects your hydration.
Benefits of Staying Hydrated during Pregnancy
- Water and fluids help in formation of amniotic fluid which act as a growth medium and safety barrier between the baby and external environment.
- Staying hydrated helps eliminate toxins from your body.
- Drinking adequate water can also help in relieving heartburn and acidity, which is a common problem during pregnancy.
- It can keep urinary tract infections at bay and protect you and your baby.
- Staying hydrated also decreases the chances of preterm labour.
Although staying hydrated is important during all the three trimesters but it is most important to stay hydrated during the third trimester to prevent the chances of preterm labor. So all the pregnant ladies, sit back, relax and stay hydrated and enjoy your beautiful journey towards motherhood!
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.