Teething is a process of teeth emerging through gums. Teething can begin when infants are between 2 months to 6 months old. But the first tooth normally appears after 6-7 months of age. Teething can be painful. The process can be painful for babies. They go through pain, often wake up at night, excessively drool and do not eat much. Some babies even get mild fever, vomiting or diarrhoea when teething starts.
Here are some basic relief therapies which everyone should follow when their babies start teething.
Some basic relief therapies:
1. Every night before sleeping, give a head massage to your baby. You can use any oil that suits your baby. This will relax your baby.
2. Instead of giving a teething toy to chew, give your baby something healthy to chew when he feels irritation in gums or when he feels like biting. This can be a piece of carrot, fresh coconut or any veggie which the baby can not swallow.
3. Divert the mind of the baby from irritation of teething to something else. Play with colourful toys, talk to your baby, show your baby new things etc. This way, the baby will get busy in these things and forget about the pain and irritation for a while.
4. Breastfeeding is very important for less pain while teething.
5. Always keep your baby hydrated.
Home remedy for diarrhoea or loss of appetite in babies during the teething period:
1. Boil one glass of water in a vessel.
2. Add 2 grams of fennel seeds (saunf) into that boiling water.
3. Add 2 black peppercorns (akhi kali mirchi)as well into that boiling water.
4. Boil it until the water reduces to half.
5. Switch off the flame.
Make this mix every morning and add 2 spoons of it to breast milk or formula.
Benefits of this remedy:
• This remedy will increase the appetite of your baby
• it will make your baby’s digestive system strong
• It will reduce the chances of acidity in babies
• It is very effective for loose motions and vomiting in babies
I am sharing these remedies from my own experience. I got so much advice from people around me but I am sharing only what I felt was effective for my baby. These things helped me to soothe my baby while he was teething.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.