Last Updated on
I am the mother of a one year old child, and am also continuing my duty as a government official after availing my child care leave. My husband is also working. We live with my in-laws. They are both patient, who can’t do much. It is worth mentioning that I have a very hectic schedule. We do not have daycare nearby in our town, where we could drop the baby during our office hours. During COVID-19, we didn’t appoint a caretaker for the baby, except a part-time helper we have in our home since the past 20 years. But, as my and my husband’s work falls under essential services, we both had to continue our duties towards office during lockdown. Overall, I have to maintain all the duties towards my baby and husband, before and after office hours. During office hours, the maid and my in-laws somehow manage the baby care.
These are the ways followed by me for performing all my duties:
- I wake up early in the morning, at 5.30 a.m.
- I complete all the household chores like cleaning, and finish my bath, till 8 a.m.
- Then, I rush to the kitchen and prepare breakfast for all the family members, including the baby. (In the meantime, if the baby wakes up, my husband and in-laws look after him).
- As the baby wakes up, I give him some milk, and then take him for a bath. Then, I give him his breakfast. It is very difficult to feed him. It takes almost half an hour to feed him at one time – you can’t imagine, it becomes a mission for us to feed him one meal!
- After that, I serve breakfast to all other family members, and then take my own breakfast.
- After completing all these tasks, I feed my baby in order to make him sleep for 2-3 hours, so that he won’t disturb his grandparents during my absence.
- Then, I rush to office at 10 a.m.
- I come back from office at 4.p.m.
- Returning from office, I take a bath, and have some snacks. Then, my baby is ready to hug and kiss me. This kiss compels me to forget all the tiredness I was feeling till that moment.
- Again, after taking some rest for half an hour, the household chores begin, and continue till we sleep.
- In the meantime, I also try to make my baby learn basics, as I have got an early learning kit for my baby, and created a learning place in our bedroom.
I am trying to build up my baby as a valuable citizen of the country, as well as performing all my duties towards the family. I will say that it is not too easy for me to carry on all this, but when I feel the love I share with my child and husband, all these become a part of my life.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.