Last Updated on
Ghuto is a traditional winter recipe cooked in Jamnagar, Gujarat and in its surrounding villages. The traditional recipe was discovered from Jodiya village of Jamnagar district. The best thing about Ghuto recipe is that no oil/butter/ghee and dry spices are used in cooking. Only vegetables (mostly green vegetables) and some lentils are used, which makes Ghuto simple, healthy, nutritious yet delicious.
- Water – 5 cups
- Green onion -1/2 cup chopped
- Red onion – 1/2 cup chopped
- Spinach leaves – 1/2 cup fine chopped
- Dill leaves – 2 tbsp fine chopped
- Potato – 1/2 cup cut into small cubes
- Carrot – 1/2 cup cut into small cubes
- Bottle Gourd – 1/4 cup cut into small cubes
- Green Tomato – 1/4 cup cut into small cubes
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup cut into small cubes
- Flat beans – 1/4 cup beans
- Green brinjal – 1/4 cup cut into small cubes
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup
- Green Garlic – 1/4 cup greens fine chopped
- Amaranth beans and cluster beans – 1/4 cup beans
- Green chickpeas – 1/4 cup
- Green Peas – 1/4 cup
- Green Turmeric – 2 tbsp fine chopped
- Ginger – 2 tbsp fine chopped
- Green Garlic – 1/4 cup white part
- French beans – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup fine chopped
- Green Moong dal – 1/2 cup soaked in water
- Chana dal – 1/2 cup soaked in water
- Green chilli paste – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Take a big pressure cooker, add water into it and let water get warm, with the lid open.
- Once the water gets warm, add all the vegetables and lentils, as mentioned above.
- Stir the vegetables for 5 mins on medium flame. Close the lid and cook till 4 whistles.
- Open the lid once it is simmered. Cook on medium flame with an open lid.
- Keep stirring continuously till all the vegetables and lentils mix well and get mashed.
- Now add salt to taste and green chilli paste. Mix well. Once everything is mashed, turn off the flame and serve hot.
It tastes well with bajri roti with jaggery, pickled onions and buttermilk.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.