For premature babies, many things are not fulfilled.
1. They weigh less than 2 kg.
2. Their skin is shiny and skinny.
3. The cry of the baby is very feeble.
4. Baby does not have the ability to suck.
5. Swallowing reflux is slow.
6. Baby seeks special attention.
7. Risk of getting infected is high.
Care of Premature Babies
- KMC (kangaroo mother care) is the method followed to increase the weight of the baby. Place the baby on the chest of the mother’s body and hug the baby to transfer the mother’s heat to the baby. It will increase the weight of the baby faster.
- Syringe feeding is best for the baby than direct breastfeeding because direct feeding may lead to aspiration when the milk flow is fast. Syringe feeding is by extraction of breast milk and feeding the baby drop by drop.
- To avoid infections keeping the breasts clean, washing the breast pump, and disposal syringes after every feed is necessary.
- Change diapers when soiled.
- Watch for episodes of urination, and colour of stool and consistency.
- Wipe the baby with a sponge instead of bathing the baby for some days.
- Vaccinate the baby on time.
- Monitor each milestone.
- Watch for reflexes.
- While touching the baby, it is best to use a hand rub or handwash to avoid cross infection.
- While feeding the baby, make sure to lift the babies head in the upright position.
- Monitor for weight gain.
- Give special attention.
- Check for jaundice and diabetes because there is a chance of the premature baby getting it.
- Mother should have a healthy and nutritious diet for the growth and development of the baby.
- In the case of breastmilk shortage, there should be formula milk feed.
- The feed should be given every 2 hours.
- Burping the baby after every feed is very important.
- To increase the immunity of the baby, the first milk of the mother called as colostrum which is light yellow in colour to be fed without fail because it contains a lot of immunoglobulins which increases the immunity level of the baby and lowers the risk of infection.
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.