In this Article
The skin of babies is sensitive during their first few years, and it is important that you know about the right products to use on their skin and body. One product that is good is castor oil as it has been proven to cure a lot of skin and health problems for babies.
By equipping yourself with the knowledge of castor oil for baby hair, skin and body, you can know how to utilise it in the right manner. There are a few precautions that need to be followed in order to understand how to utilise the product properly. Please consult your healthcare provider before you go ahead and administer castor oil to your baby.
Properties of Castor Oil
Firstly, castor oil is manufactured by extracting ricinolein which is found in the seeds of plants. These seeds roughly contain around 60% vegetable oil. The castor bean’s plants contain these ricin proteins and are poisonous. Only after processing it, can castor oil be obtained from the seed.
Yellow is the primary colour of castor oil, and it is used in a variety of medicinal as well as therapeutic purposes. Most of the benefits of castor oil occur due to the high content of unsaturated fatty acids present in it. One of the fatty acids that are highly prominent in castor oil is ricinoleic acid. This gives many beneficial properties such as anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
It has a strong odour, but it is still used in soaps, cosmetics, textiles, oils, medicines and many more products that are used on an everyday basis. It is not uncommon to use castor oil for constipation in babies as it is a natural laxative. It can also be used as a labour inducer.
Is Castor Oil Safe for Babies?
Castor oil is a useful and safe product that can be used on babies. There are many benefits linked to the use of castor oil. However, it is important that one takes due precautions as well. If used correctly, castor oil can help relieve your baby of many apparent skin and body problems, but you must administer caution if you’re using it over very sensitive or broken skin.
Amazing Benefits of Castor Oil for Infants
Here are the different ways in which you can use castor oil for your baby.
- Castor oil is a great remedy for dry skin problem in babies. It is a great moisturizer and will help keep your baby’s skin smooth and supple.
- Castor oil can be used to also treat warts or blemishes that may occur on your infant’s skin. Make it a point to check the temperature of the oil before application.
- Castor oil for baby massage is also a good idea as it can be used on their tender areas as well. They can be massaged with the oil, and it can be applied on their nails.
- Another great advantage of castor oil is that it promotes hair growth in children. It will help in eliminating any dry spots on the baby’s scalp and make their hair shiny. Castor oil will help your baby’s hair roots grow stronger
- Colic can also be relieved in babies with the help of castor oil. Ensure that you heat a pot of water before you place the bottle of castor oil inside it. Apply the oil in a clockwise direction and ensure that it isn’t too hot.
- Castor oil is a great massaging product as it relieves sore muscles. Wrap a packet of the oil in plastic before you massage them with it. Also, ensure that they do not play with the plastic as it is a choking hazard.
- Diaper rashes can be painful for babies, so castor oil is a great way to relieve them of the pain that is caused by the same.
- Sunburns can be quite painful for babies, so applying castor oil on their skin surface can help in relieving them of the pain. It can also be used to cure problems like eczema which is common in babies.
Precautions to Take while Using Castor Oil for Your Child
Castor oil is a topic of debate, but it is generally agreed that you can use it on your infant if the doctor gives the clearance. However, the reason that it is debated is that it can be dangerous if utilised carelessly. There are a few precautions that you will need to adhere to in case you’re using castor oil on your baby:
- Don’t use castor oil on broken skin as it can cause irritation for your baby.
- Don’t apply the oil anywhere near their lips, mouth, eyes or genitals.
- Castor oil has poisonous properties when fed to a child directly.
Side Effects of Using Castor Oil on Babies
- While it is a proven constipation reliever, it is better to look for alternatives as the incorrect administration can cause aspiratory pneumonia, paralytic illus or even hyperalbuminemia.
- A pregnant woman should not use castor oil as it negatively impacts cycles.
- Castor oil does have poisonous properties and can affect the baby dangerously. In many cases, if the baby consumes a potent amount of the oil, there have been occurrences of death as well.
Thus, castor oil is a debated product that has advantages and disadvantages. If used correctly, it can help your babies relieve themselves of many problems like skin and hair, but at the same time, it could prove fatal if not administered properly.
As mentioned, it is always better to consult your doctor before you go ahead and provide your baby with castor oil for any purpose. This way, they will be able to guide you on the right methodologies you can adapt to apply the same to your baby. If you’re a pregnant woman, it is best that you stay away from the product as it has adverse health effects.
Also Read: Psoriasis in Children