In this Article
Last Updated on
Besan in its cooked form is very tasty, and it is known to attract toddlers for its yummy taste. It is also a healthy staple considering that it is rich in protein. Also, it is gluten-free if you want to give a vegan diet to your kid. The protein-rich ingredient is sure to build strong muscles in your little one. Besan Chilla or Besan omelette for toddlers is a delicious breakfast or brunch recipe which is sure to improve the child’s stamina. Also, this can be a replacement as an eggless omelette in vegetarian households. Adding finely chopped vegetables of your choice will make this recipe more nutritious and colourful as well.
Type of Meal
Babies above the age of 12 months
Breakfast or brunch
|Ingredients||Quantity and Volume|
|Chick Pea (Besan) Flour||1/2 cup|
|Chopped coriander||A few leaves|
|Ajwain seeds||½ teaspoon|
|Finely chopped vegetables (optional)||½ cup|
Now let us look into how to make Besan chilla. As mentioned earlier, this is easy to make and the recipe does not require any prior preparation.
Below are the step by step instructions to prepare Besan Chilla:
- Sieve besan flour so that there are no lumps.
- Add water, salt, ajwain and coriander leaves to it.
- Mix well and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- At this point, you can also add finely chopped vegetables like onion, carrot, tomato, capsicum etc. to make it more nutritious based on your baby’s taste.
- Heat a pan and pour some ghee on it.
- Take the mixed flour and adjust it to flowing consistency.
- Pour the batter over the heated pan and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Wait until it turns to a light brownish colour and then flip it.
- Cook on the other side for another minute.
- Fold in half and take it out from the pan.
- Hot besan chilla/besan omelette is ready to be served.
- It can be served with any sauce or chutney.
It is best to use the whole batter at once and make as many chillas as you can. The batter loses its taste if refrigerated for later use.
Here are a few tips to note to before you make this easy Besan Chilla recipe.
- Do not use the besan without sieving it. It is important to lump-free flour for easy mixing.
- It is best to add boiled and cooled water as you are making this for babies.
- Do not roast the chilla too much as roasting too much will give burnt smell and kids may not like it.
- Use vegetables wisely. Make sure you wash all the vegetables before chopping them.
- While mixing the flour, use a whisker and mix briskly so that lumps are not formed after adding water.
Nutrition Information (Per 100 Grams)
|Folic Acid||76.5 mcg|
|Thiamine (Vitamin B1)||0.2mg|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)||0.1 mg|
|Niacin (Vitamin B3)||1.2mg|
This Home-made Besan chilla / Besan Omelette recipe brings a lot of goodness in it for the health of your little one:
- Besan is rich in protein and will give instant energy to your toddler after playtime.
- It is a healthy gluten-free diet for vegans and an eggless alternative too.
- It can fight cold, and cough and clear nasal tract as besan is a powerhouse of antioxidants.
- Added with nuts and seeds, they are great immune boosters, especially during winters.
- Ajwain or Carom seeds will aid digestion. If your baby is constipated, then Besan chilla can be the best breakfast you should give.
- Check the expiry date of all products before you buy.
- Try to buy organic besan flour from a good store.
- Make sure the flour is packed neatly.
- Check for any insects in carom seeds before buying.
- All the ingredients that are store brought should be packed hygienically.
- Do not buy roasted gram flour for this recipe.
Besan Chilla is a good breakfast which your baby will love to eat in the morning without any fuss. Besan tastes yummy in fritters, and as we are adding ghee in this recipe, it is going to make it tastier. Use fresh besan as stored ones may have worms in it. Check the flour before you use it. After all, the health of our kids is of utmost importance.