Women take pride in their long beautiful nails, don’t you ladies? In today’s times, it is even possible to accentuate your nails with the help of acrylic nail extensions in no time. However, when you are pregnant, you should think twice before getting these nails. First, you should find out if it is safe to get acrylic nails during pregnancy or not. Read this article to know if you can use acrylic nails during pregnancy or not.
What Are Acrylic Nails?
Acrylic nails are fake nails that you can easily stick on your original nails to aesthetically enhance the length of your nails. These nails are made using some powder and liquid. Many nail parlours or your regular parlours can offer these at affordable rates.
Can You Get Acrylic Nails during Pregnancy?
When you are pregnant, your smallest decisions are also made with care and caution and the same applies to the use of acrylic nails during pregnancy. There is no harm in using acrylic nails in pregnancy, but it recommended that you exercise caution when you stick these fake nails.
Complications and Side Effects of Using Acrylic Nails during Pregnancy
There has been no scientific research available that using acrylic nails may result in complications during pregnancy. However, few speculations are doing the rounds and here are some acrylic nails pregnancy risks that you should you know of:
- Acrylic nails are artificially attached to the surface of your original nails and thus may increase your chances of having fungal or bacterial infections.
- The ingredients that may be used for making these nail extensions may pose a threat to your unborn baby. It may lead to the learning disability or developmental delays in your child.
- You may even get exposed to higher levels of acetone while getting these extensions, which is associated with an increased risk of abortions or miscarriages.
Essential Tips and Precautions
Whatever you eat or drink may directly or indirectly affect your unborn baby. Therefore, when you plan to get acrylic nail extensions during pregnancy, keep the following tips and precautions in mind to minimize the risk:
- Whenever you plan to get artificial nails, make sure that you sit in a well-ventilated room to avoid inhalation of any dangerous fumes.
- Opt for a good salon which uses high-quality, safe products rather than using any cheap imitations, which may prove harmful to you and your baby.
- You may check with your salon if they may have EMA or ethyl-methacrylate as this may be a safer option in comparison to other solutions.
- Do not inhale the harmful fumes that may usually form up during the procedure. These fumes may be dangerous for your baby’s health.
- Sometimes the chemical used in the salons may cause severe allergic reactions, and you certainly cannot afford that. You may call up and discuss their products to rule out any possibility of the allergic based product that you may like to avoid.
- If you are thinking of getting acrylic nails, it may be a good idea to avoid getting them in the first three months of your pregnancy.
- Maintain hygiene as far as cleaning these false nails are concerned. Failure to do so may lead to fungal or bacterial infection.
- After the procedure of nail fixing is done, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly to let go of any residual chemicals that may be present on your skin or nails.
- Refrain yourself from getting fake nails as it may lead to excessive exposure to chemicals used in acrylic manicure in pregnancy.
- Wear a face mask to avoid the harmful fumes or take frequent breaks to get some fresh air.
- Book for a morning appointment as your nail parlour may have lesser harmful fumes as compared to the later in the day.
Looking pretty and being dainty is what all women want, and we totally understand it. However, why do you want to undergo any kind of dubious process that may or may not have any kind of ill-effects on your unborn baby? We suggest that if you can wait, then postpone it till your baby is born.
Also Read: How Safe is Nail Polish during Pregnancy?