- Video : Are Peaches Safe to Consume During Pregnancy?
- Can You Eat Peaches During Pregnancy?
- Nutritional Value of Peaches
- Health Benefits of Peaches for Pregnant Women
- How Much Peach Fruit Should a Pregnant Woman Consume?
- Side Effects of Consuming Peach Fruit During Pregnancy
- Tips to Select the Right Peaches
- Ways to Include Peach Fruit in your Pregnancy Diet
Last Updated on
Packed with necessary vitamins, minerals, fibre and at the same time low in fats and calories, peaches are great for pregnant women and their babies. Pregnant women can and should include peaches in their diet. As with all good things, certain precautions should be kept in mind when consuming them. In this article, we discuss the unique benefits of peaches for pregnant women. We also highlight concerns regarding their consumption during pregnancy and ways to include them in your diet during pregnancy.
Video : Are Peaches Safe to Consume During Pregnancy?
Can You Eat Peaches During Pregnancy?
Peaches are a great source of Vitamin c, iron, potassium, and dietary fibre, all good and necessary nutrients for pregnant women. Yes, peaches can be consumed during pregnancy and, in fact, they have a lot of benefits for pregnant women. Vitamin C is particularly necessary, as it is crucial for the proper development of the foetus. Vitamin C helps with the proper formation and growth of bones, teeth, and other vital tissues. Dietary fibre in peaches maintains a healthy digestive tract in pregnant women, while iron and potassium are necessary nutrients for pregnant women. The one chief concern with peaches is pesticide contamination. Given this concern, it is best that organic peaches are sourced, at least while pregnant.
Nutritional Value of Peaches
To best understand the nutritional value and the potential benefits for pregnant women, refer to the list of nutrients given below.
- Calories – 40kcal
- Carbohydrates – 7.8gm
- Fat – 0.4 grams
- Fibre – 2.3 grams
- Iron – 0.4 mg
- Magnesium – 8.06mg
- Potassium – 281mg
- Protein – 0.86gm
- Vitamin A – 489 IU
- Vitamin C – 5.49mg
Health Benefits of Peaches for Pregnant Women
Here are some health benefits of eating peaches during pregnancy.
1. Rich in Vitamin C
With up to seven milligrams per one hundred grams; peach fruit is loaded with Vitamin C. Most pregnant woman are susceptible to iron deficiency and Vitamin C is crucial for iron absorption and reducing the risk of anaemia in pregnant women. Vitamin C is also crucial for tissue formation of the foetus and is for the formation of bones, teeth, blood vessels, cartilage and muscles.
The high potassium content of peaches is particularly useful during pregnancy; potassium is helpful for maintaining optimal fluid balance in the body of both the mother and the baby. Potassium is also very useful in countering common pregnancy issues like fatigue, cramps and swellings. Furthermore, potassium in peach fruit also reduces instances of anxiety, depression and mood swings in pregnant ladies.
3. Dietary Fibre
Pregnant women are particularly susceptible to gastrointestinal problems during pregnancy, such as constipation, indigestion, and other related issues. One hundred grams of peach fruit consists of one point five grams or more of dietary fibre, so regular consumption of peaches during pregnancy will maintain good bowel movements and reduce instances of indigestion and constipation.
Phosphorous is essential for maintaining the strength and integrity of bones. Not only will it help the baby develop strong bones but will maintain good bone integrity for the mother throughout the pregnancy and beyond. Peach fruit contains about twenty milligrams of phosphorous per one hundred grams.
Another important mineral for pregnant women, magnesium prevents the uterus from undergoing premature contractions and also prevents cramps and constipation.
6. Folic Acid
Folic acid is essential for brain and spine development of the foetus during the first stages of pregnancy. With four micrograms of folic acid available in hundred grams of the fruit, peach fruit is one of the best sources of folic acid.
Essential for the development of a robust immune system in both, the mother and her baby, beta-carotene is readily available in the peach fruit.
8. Weight Control
High in nutrients and low in calories, peach fruit helps in the reduction of excessive fats.
How Much Peach Fruit Should a Pregnant Woman Consume?
Besides the numerous benefits of peach fruit consumption during pregnancy, pregnant women should limit their intake of peaches to no more than five hundred grams per day. Ideally, women should consume no more than two peaches per day and substitute other fruits for peaches to maintain this recommended quantity of consumption.
Side Effects of Consuming Peach Fruit During Pregnancy
Peach fruit does have certain side effects that should be kept in mind.
- Pregnant women diagnosed with high blood sugar can have peaches, but only in very limited quantities, typically about half the quantity of those not suffering from the same condition.
- Peaches consumed in excess can raise the normal body temperature during pregnancy and result in some bleeding.
- The skin of peaches should be avoided, as the hair-like protrusions on the skin of peaches can cause allergies of the throat or otherwise aggravate the throat.
- Peach fruits can be susceptible to contamination by pesticides, so sourcing organic peaches is recommended.
Tips to Select the Right Peaches
When selecting peaches keep the following in mind:
- When held in the hand and gently crushed, the fruit should feel firm, yet have some give.
- A very firm fruit with no give and a distinct greenish colour should be rejected, as the fruit has not ripened.
- If the fruit has too much give and crushes easily, it is overripe and will spoil quickly.
- Peach fruits with large bruises and dark spots are indicative of decay and should be avoided.
Ways to Include Peach Fruit in your Pregnancy Diet
There are various ways for pregnant women to incorporate peaches in their diet.
- On hot days, a glass of fresh peach juice in the afternoons during pregnancy would work wonders to beat the heat.
- For a more filling drink, a banana and peach fruit milkshake should keep away hunger pangs for a couple of hours at the very least.
- Canned peaches during pregnancy are also a great way to enjoy these fruits without having to cut and peel fresh fruits.
- Peach fruits can be had as a topping for cereals and milk.
Peaches are wonderful fruits to have during pregnancy and the nutritional benefits that they offer for both, the mother and her baby are significant and numerous. Care and attention should be maintained while selecting peaches on account of reported instances of pesticide contamination. Source organic peaches and eat them in moderate quantities.