In this Article
Last Updated on
Butterfly exercise also known as Baddhakonasana (in Sanskrit), is one of the best exercises to practice during pregnancy. It is also known as the Bound Angle Pose. It is an easy exercise and a gentle pose which can be performed with minimum help. It helps in stretching the groin area and the hamstrings while eradicating abdominal discomfort. It has two variations – Poorna Titli Asana and Ardha Titli Asana.
Butterfly pose may be a simple exercise, but it has a lot of benefits, especially for pregnant women. It can also be used as a meditative pose and, thus, helps in relieving stress, through physical and mental relaxation. This posture also aids proper digestion, thereby providing relief to pregnant women who suffer from heartburns and digestive disorders during pregnancy. It also stretches and opens up the hips, thighs and pelvic muscles, which help in having an easy, normal delivery. However, a pregnant lady before starting the exercise or any other exercise should consult her doctor.
Why Should You Do the Butterfly Exercise When Pregnant?
Butterfly exercise for a pregnant lady is one of the keys to a healthy delivery if practised for a long time. Here are some of its benefits.
- It eases tired legs during pregnancy.
- It opens up the pelvic muscles which make standard delivery easy.
- It opens up the thighs and hips and improves flexibility.
- It helps in initiating faster delivery during labour.
- It also helps in enduring the pain during labour.
- It also helps in fluid retention which is a significant problem during pregnancy.
- Aids digestion.
How to Do the Half Butterfly (Ardha Titli)
The Ardha Titli Asana is another variation of the Butterfly pose or the Purna Titli Asana. It is good for people who are doing yoga for the first time.
- Sit in a Padmasana(the lotus pose) if comfortable, or sit cross-legged on the floor.
- Then, stretch one leg straight, leaving the other one folded.
- Bend the right knee and put the right leg on the left thigh. Try to touch the left waist with the right sole.
- Place the right palm on top of the right thigh.
- Grasp the right toe firmly with the left hand.
- Keep the spine and neck straight.
- Inhale deeply and press the knee toward the floor.
- Then, exhale and bring the knee up to the chest level.
Repeat it ten times and switch legs. Repeat the same on the other side.
The Ardha Titli Asana is as beneficial as the Butterfly Asana during pregnancy. It helps in easing pains and cramps which are experienced by many during pregnancy, and it also facilitates less painful and more comfortable deliveries.
How to Do the Full Butterfly Pose (Poorna Titli)
The butterfly yoga pose during pregnancy is something that ante-natal specialists recommend. It is one of the most beneficial exercises to practice during the time of pregnancy. Here is the stepwise representation of the pose:
- Sit in a padmasana(the lotus pose) if comfortable, or sit cross-legged on the floor.
- Position yourself in such a way that the soles of your feet touch each other and your knees are bent outwards.
- Try to pull your feet as much as possible, with both your hands holding your feet, towards the pubic area.
- Straighten your spine.
- Breathe in and place both your hands on your knees.
- Breathe out and move your folded knees up and down (like a butterfly flaps it’s wings) and try to touch your knees on the ground (do not try too hard in case you are unable to touch your knees on the ground).
- Breathe in and bring your knees up to the chest level.
- Repeat the same process fifteen to twenty times.
The Butterfly pose is believed to be one of the most gentle and therapeutic yoga poses. It not only helps in having a smooth delivery but also has other health benefits and also helps in releasing unwanted tension and stress if practised on a regular basis. Incorporate it into your yoga routine to experience the benefits.