Last Updated on
Vomiting during your pregnancy is known as hyperemesis gravidarum. It is known to affect around 50% of pregnant women worldwide. It usually subsides by the fourth month, but for some women, it may go on for their full term. This condition is mostly manageable with oral medication, but in some cases, it may lead to prolonged hospitalization. Also, despite medications, most women experience loss of appetite. So, what lifestyle changes can be made to avoid this? Let’s talk about it!
1. Strictly follow your medicine routine. The most common reason for uncontrolled vomiting despite medications is when we change our timings of medications, or skip them. This causes a reduction in the level of the drug in the bloodstream, consequently causing vomiting. Rule of thumb is, take Tab doxinate (as prescribed) just before getting out of bed with a sip of water, wait for 15 minutes, and then get up.
2. Ginger helps. The addition of ginger in food is known to improve symptoms. You can also make homemade lozenges or toffee with ginger juice and honey. (Consult your doctor for honey intake.)
3. Caffeinated drinks are a strict no-no! Give up on the habit of bed tea or coffee. Caffeinated drinks tend to increase acid reflux, causing indigestion and vomiting. Instead, go for homemade juice or hot lemon water, as they will help in soothing the gut.
4. Eat small frequent meals. Pregnancy hormones slow down the gut, giving feelings of fullness and bloating, which reduce appetite. So, eat small meals every 2 hours.
5. Go bananas. A diet rich in potassium helps to correct the electrolyte imbalance that occurs due to vomiting. Foods like bananas and green leafy veggies are good sources of potassium.
6. Last but not the least, stay happy. Hormonal changes tend to make you moody. A loving, caring, and supportive family is all that is required to keep you going through this time.
In the end, I would like to say, you can never understand life until it grows inside you!
Disclaimer: The views, opinions and positions (including content in any form) expressed within this post are those of the author alone. The accuracy, completeness and validity of any statements made within this article are not guaranteed. We accept no liability for any errors, omissions or representations. The responsibility for intellectual property rights of this content rests with the author and any liability with regards to infringement of intellectual property rights remains with him/her.