In this Article
A child’s safety holds prime importance for the parents. As parents, you do your best to safeguard or protect your kids. When it comes to travelling with kids in a car, there are many questions that may pop in your head and some of them may be, can children sit in the front seat or the right age for your child to sit in the front seat of a car? If this is what you want to know, then it will be a good idea to read through the following article as we shall be discussing all this and we shall also be talking about various safety rules and tips.
When can your Child Sit in the Front Seat of a Car?
The answer to how old should a child be to sit in the front seat is dependent on his height. Kids between the age of 3 to 12 or ones who’ve grown as tall as 4’4″ in height can ideally sit in the front seat of the car. Once your kid reaches 135 cm in height, you can permit him to sit in the front seat and always insist on wearing the seatbelt no matter how short the drive.
However, sitting in the back seat is much safer for your kid in comparison to the front seat, as it puts your kid under lesser risks, in case of an accident or collision.
Safety Rules to Keep in Mind when a Child is Sitting in the Front Seat
As discussed above, it is not safe for a child to sit in the front seat of a car; however, if you are planning on making your kid sit in the front seat then it is recommended that you keep the following safety rules in mind:
1. Shut Off The Air Bag
It is advised that if your child is sitting in the front seat of the car, the airbags are in a shut-off state. In case your car lacks the feature, you may get it installed by your car dealer. You may need to get an approval from the government before making this kind of amends to the airbags in your car. However, installing a button and keeping it switched off may not rule out all the possibilities of deploying.
2. Secure Your Child In Safety Harness
In case you are not able to get the airbags in your disabled, then it is recommended to make your child sit with the complete safety harness. Also, make sure you move the seat as far away as you can, from the dashboard.
3. Buckle Up Your Child
Buckle up the shoulder belt and the lap belt nicely. Do not place the shoulder belt below the shoulder or behind your child. In case your child is too small to fit into a seat belt, then it is recommended that make your kid sit in a booster seat.
4. Make Your Kid Sit Upright
It is important that your kid sits in an upright position while sitting in the front seat. Do not let him slouch or lie down or do any sorts of other things that may hamper the hold of the seat belt or the car seat. It will be a good idea to keep an eye on your kid’s sitting position.
5. Keep The Area Around Your Kid Clutter-free
You should make sure that there are no objects between your kid and door of the car. Any kind of toy, pillow or other things may cause harm to your child, in case the airbags inflate.
Tips to Ensure Safety of Your Small Kid when Putting Him In Front Seat
Here are some tips that may help you to ensure the safety of your kid when putting him in the front seat of a car:
- It is very important that your infant must ride in a car seat only. It is also seen that babies or kids who do not ride in an infant seat are four times more at risk of getting injured during an accident in comparison to babies who ride in car seats.
- It is recommended to get a correct infant seat installed for your baby or toddler. It should be placed right in the car and your baby should be secured in it properly. You may get it checked by an expert too.
- Always use a car seat for your baby; rather it is advised that you make this into a habit. In case, you have two cars then it is recommended that you place one in each car rather than shifting the car seat every time you.
- Never compromise on safety and buy a car seat that is best suited to your baby’s safety requirements and fits perfectly in your car. In case, you plan on buying a second-hand car seat for your baby, make sure it is in a workable condition and in accordance with the current safety rules.
- As your baby grows, switch to bigger car seats or booster car seats. If your kid outgrows the safety harness (usually present in front facing car seats), you may remove it. However, until the time your child fits into the harness, do not remove it as it provides the optimum protection to your baby.
These are some of the tips that you should follow for the safety of your kid. It is very important that as parents you are up-to-date with the rules of travelling with kids and you should also abide by them. As suggested previously, the front seat of a car is not the safest place for your kid. Therefore, it is important that you understand the pros and cons before making any decision of making your kid sit in the front seat of the car.