In this Article
Last Updated on
By the 46th week, a baby develops tremendously and crosses many important milestones. So what are these developments and milestones? What should you do to take care of our 46-week old baby? Read on and learn all that you need to know about your 46-week-old baby.
46 Week Old Baby’s Development
A baby grows rapidly in his first year, but towards the end of the first year, his growth slows down. From crawling, he starts standing holding onto some furniture. Some babies may even start taking their first few steps at this age. Along with sensory and cognitive development, your baby’s physical development also take place. However, this is the time when you need to be careful and keep a watchful eye on your little one as he becomes one curious explorer picking up anything he sees and puts it in his mouth.
[Also Read: 11 Month Old Baby Development]
Developmental Milestones at 46 Weeks
Your baby is just about a few weeks away from turning one. He is getting independent, and there is also marked progress in his overall development. At this stage, he will acquire some important milestones rapidly.
1. Motor Skills
By this time, a baby can sit and also stand by holding onto something. Crawling all over the house is common. You may even see your baby taking his first steps at this age.
2. Hand and Eye Coordination
By this stage, your little one’s hand and eye coordination will improve too. He will be able to eat finger foods all by himself grasping it in between his forefingers and thumb. His small muscles will help in picking up objects like playing blocks, toys, moving them from one hand to another, pointing at things and poking with his finger.
3. Communication Skills
At this age, you will see a change in his communication skills. He will be able to understand gestures, wave when asked to say bye-bye, be able to say a few words like mama, dada, bye-bye and will babble a lot. You may also get to hear a lot of squealing when he plays.
4. Cognitive Skills
As your baby is heading towards his first birthday, you will notice that he will start understanding the concept of object permanence. He will become more adept in finding out hidden items. He may even try to imitate you or others through observation. Since his vision has improved, he will be attracted towards colours and books having colourful pictures. He will also be able to organize objects and toys according to their colour, size, and shape.
[Also Read: 11 Month Old Baby Milestones]
At 46 weeks, your baby will be able to eat solid foods like an idli or pancakes. Allow him to eat all by himself but make sure he takes in small pieces one at a time to prevent him from choking. You may also give him finger foods like boiled vegetables cut in long strips, fruits like banana, chikoo, orange, sweet lime etc. Make sure to de-seed or peel the fruits before giving it to your baby.
Since your little explorer will crawl and explore the house actively, he’ll lose a lot of calories. Therefore, give him nutritious foods like mashed fruits and vegetables. You can also try giving him khichdi with vegetables for lunch and dinner. Babies at this age can start taking non-vegetarian food like pureed cooked chicken, boiled and scrambled eggs, too. You may also give him yoghurt, oats etc. It is imperative that your baby drinks a lot of water. You may also continue with breast milk. However, avoid breastfeeding her more than 3 – 4 times a day or else he won’t take solid food. If you are unable to breastfeed your baby, you can give him 20 to 30 ounces of formula milk.
[Also Read: 11 Month Old Baby Food Ideas]
Your baby may have given you sleepless nights earlier but not anymore. He may take 2 naps for 1 to 2 hours during the day and sleep for 10 to 13 hours at night. However, if your baby is sick, he will have trouble sleeping.
[Also Read: 11 Month Old Baby Sleep]
Tips to Take Care of a 46-week-old Baby
Few tips to help you to take care of your 46-week-old baby include:
- Now that your baby has become an expert at crawling, he will be cruising around the house, exploring every nook and corner and every little thing in the house. Therefore, make sure the floors and the things in the house are properly cleaned and disinfected.
- Your baby must also be going through a phase of teething and he may put everything in his mouth. Therefore make sure to keep an eye on him while he plays or crawls.
- He may even stand while holding onto some furniture, so be very careful when he does that. Make sure that he does not hurt his head or any other body part while doing so.
- Babies at this age become independent and may start eating on their own. Ensure that your little one does not take a big bite in one go.
- Read to your baby every day. This will help him recognise things, colours, shapes, etc.
- Take him for a stroll so that he can meet new people, though he won’t understand much, but this will at least increase his socialising skills.
- Following the same routine and being on time is important. Therefore, make sure that your little one eats his meals and sleeps at the right time every day.
Tests and Vaccinations
There are mainly three vaccines that are administered to a baby in his 46th week.
1. Oral Polio Vaccine
Oral polio vaccine is extremely important and should be given to a baby when due. At 46th week, it is the second dose that a baby is given since the time of his birth.
2. Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
This is the first time that a baby gets this vaccination. As the name suggests, it guards the baby against 3 diseases namely, mumps, measles, and rubella.
3. Typhoid Conjugate Vaccine
The first dose of Typhoid CV is injected during this time.
4. Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine (JE)
It is given only in areas which are prone to the disease.
Apart from vaccinations, your baby’s doctor will check his eyes, heartbeat, pulses, hips and movements. The doctor will measure your baby’s head’s size, length, and weight. The doctor may also ask for a blood test to rule out lead exposure or anaemia.
Games and Activities
Games and activities are a fun way to help a baby learn something. They will also help in strengthening the bond between you and your baby. Teach these to your baby.
1. Looking for the Missing Object
Take a very bright object and show it to your baby. Then hide it in a way that it will be easy for him to find it and also make sure he observes you while you hide it. Then turn around and ask him where it is? For the first few searches, help him find it. Once he starts understanding the game, you can let him search for it alone and even hide the object when he is not looking.
This game will help in developing his fine motor skills and also the sense of object permanence.
2. Flour Play
This is a messy activity and hence you should take care so that the flour does not get into your baby’s eyes. Take a tray and spread some flour in it. Let your little one feel it with his fingers. You can even place some small cars or toys in it. As your baby tries this activity, his fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
[Also Read: 11 Months Old Baby Activities]
When to Consult a Doctor
Other than the immunizations, you may consult your baby’s paediatrician in case you see the following.
- In case your baby is not crawling, babbling, saying a few easy words like mama and dada, or holding things like a playing block or a toy, you must consult a paediatrician.
- In case your baby fails to balance himself while sitting or standing you should consult a doctor.
All your baby needs is a healthy diet, love and care. Give him that and watch him grow and develop into a priceless treasure.
Previous Week: 45 Weeks Old Baby
Next Week: 47 Weeks Old Baby