Every article that we publish, confirms to stringent guidelines & involves several levels of reviews, both from our Editorial team & Experts. We welcome your suggestions in making this platform more useful for all our users. Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated on
Miscarriage can not only be an emotionally draining experience but also physically draining. Among many other challenges that a woman may have to face after a miscarriage, losing the extra weight is one. Weight gain after a miscarriage is common and it can be hard for you to lose weight when you’re suffering emotionally because of the miscarriage; but you need not lose hope. With the right information on weight after a miscarriage and some effective weight loss tips, you can lose weight, and prepare for another pregnancy, if given a go-ahead by your doctor, very soon.
Is it Normal to Gain Weight After Miscarriage?
Yes, it is normal for a woman to gain weight after a miscarriage. It has been observed that a woman may register a substantial increase in her weight in a couple of weeks after the miscarriage. However, in some cases, the surge in weight can be seen soon after the miscarriage too.
What Causes Weight Gain After Miscarriage?
Are you wondering what may be the reason for this weight gain? Well, the following are some of the reasons that may put our view in perspective:
- The most common reason for weight gain after miscarriage is depression. A grieving mother may get so depressed that she may look for solace in food. Hogging on calories after calories may result in a substantial amount of weight gain.
- The fluctuating levels of hormones following a miscarriage may result in a condition called hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism may affect your metabolism and make it sluggish and thus may cause weight gain and fatigue. Thus fluctuating hormones after miscarriage may lead to weight gain.
- Most women may still be in the habit of eating a more calorie-rich diet as they may have been consuming when they were pregnant. Till the time they do not make the transition to eating a non-pregnancy diet, they may keep noticing an increase in their weight.
- Before a woman can even come off the shock of losing the baby, she may start ovulating again. Sometimes, women may not even realize, but they may be pregnant again. Thus pregnancy after a miscarriage may lead to weight gain too.
Tips to Lose Weight After Miscarriage
As you recover emotionally from your loss, we recommend that you adopt some of the following tips for the weight loss after a miscarriage so that you can prepare your body and your mind for another pregnancy.
1. Take Care of Your Calorie Intake
When you are pregnant you are required to include extra calories in your diet, however, after your miscarriage, it is important to reduce your calorie intake. It is recommended that you cut down approximately 500 calories from your diet. However, it will not be a good idea to drop your calories drastically to lose weight as the lost weight may bounce back. Go for a gradual decrease.
2. Add More Nutritional Foods
Your body becomes weak after a miscarriage, and in order to regain the lost energy and reduce that extra pregnancy weight, it is recommended that you include more nutritious food in your diet. Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole wheat, eggs, meat etc. are some of the inclusions you should make instead of unhealthy, fried, oily and sugary foods.
3. Start Exercising
Exercising is a great way of losing weight, and the same holds true for losing the weight you have gained after your miscarriage. You may begin exercising as soon as you start feeling strong and healthy. Instead of doing strenuous workouts, it is suggested to take it slow and begin by doing moderate walks, cycling or swimming. However, before you plan to take up any kind of exercise to lose weight, it will be a good idea to take your doctor’s permission for the same.
4. Have Small But Frequent Meals
Instead of having three big meals during the day, opt for 5-6 small and frequent meals. Doing this may help you feel less hungry, which means fewer calorie intake. Make sure you eat three main meals that should include all the essential nutrients and include two small mini-meals that may include fruits or salads.
5. Meet a Specialist
Many times self-help does not work, and you may fail in your endeavours of losing weight, this could be because of some glitches on your part or some underlying medical condition. Therefore, it is recommended that you meet a specialist in the field who may help you with losing the extra weight.
How to Prevent Weight Gain After Pregnancy Loss
Here are some tips that you may follow to prevent weight gain after a miscarriage:
- Drink adequate amount of water as it will keep toxins at bay and help you in losing weight.
- Do not worry much as more worry means more stress, which can make losing weight more difficult.
- Refrain from emotional binging. If you happen to crave for snacks, eat something healthy instead.
- Switch to your pre-pregnancy diet soon after your miscarriage.
- Begin exercising as soon as you start feeling healthy.
- Try and surround yourself with family and friends who love you unconditionally and are there for you always. This may help you in dealing with your emotional stress and may help you in losing weight too.
- Have a well-balanced and nutritious diet.
- Let your body recover and heal. Weight loss doesn’t happen overnight, and you may have to be patient and persistent with your efforts.
Why Some Women Are Not Able to Lose Weight Even If They Exercise?
Some women may experience trouble losing weight after a miscarriage, and this may happen because of a number of reasons such as hormonal disturbances, depression, maintaining pregnancy diet or if a woman conceives again. However, if you experience difficulty in losing weight you should seek medical advice. Your doctor may help you establish the real cause your inability in losing weight and may guide you on how to do it in the best possible way.
Miscarriage is a heart-wrenching experience that any woman may dread going through; however, it also comes with certain drawbacks such as excess weight. You may adopt any (or all) of the above-mentioned tips to lose weight. But before you go ahead with these tips, it will be a good idea to take your doctor’s advice on the same.
Also Read: Sex after Miscarriage