In this Article
Last Updated on
You can expect your body to undergo many changes in terms of shape, size and appearance during pregnancy. While that glow on your skin is bound to attract many compliments, the increase in hair growth may cause some discomfort. Although it may have been a part of your grooming kit, you would be wondering if using hair removal cream during pregnancy is such a good idea.
Can You Use Hair Removal Cream in Pregnancy?
Yes, you can use hair removal creams during pregnancy as they are safe. However, their application may irritate your skin since you are pregnant, and your skin is highly sensitive to an external application. Hair removal creams, also known as depilatories, must be applied directly to the skin. It is best to evaluate the safety of the product to ensure it does not affect you or your baby in a direct or indirect manner.
Reasons for Increased Growth Hair During Pregnancy
The following are the common reasons for increased hair growth during pregnancy:
- During the first trimester, there is an increase in the level of androgen in the body, which leads to enhanced hair growth. Also, since hair fall is at a reduced rate, hair feels fuller and thicker in volume.
- Doctors prescribe vitamin supplements to women during pregnancy which causes faster hair growth. The latent hair follicles come alive due to the presence of the hormone called progesterone. This hormone is also responsible for lesser hair fall and thicker hair.
- Prolonged periods of good sleep and larger meals contribute to reduced stress levels in the pregnant woman’s body. This leads to a faster pace of hair growth.
- The excess production of androgen during pregnancy can cause the growth of hair on other parts of the body too. Hair growth on the arms, legs, stomach, face and at times nipples can lead to discomfort.
- Women with longer hair are likely to experience changes in thickness and hair texture. Body hair will disappear within 6 to 7 months of childbirth.
Benefits of Using Hair Removal Cream While Pregnant
Also, as compared to waxing, shaving, and epilating, hair removal creams seem to be quite easy and simple. These creams are easy to apply and are hassle-free to use. During pregnancy, the frequency of hair growth is higher and feels thicker too. One of the reasons why pregnant women prefer using hair removal creams as compared to other methods is that it reduces the growth frequency.
The process of hair removal cream proves to be a quick and pain-free affair as against waxing and this finds favour with pregnant women. During pregnancy, women are anxious about their looks and their growing body. While they cannot do anything about their ballooning shape, pregnant women feel confident when they look better and removing unwanted hair is one of achieving this.
How Does Hair Removal Cream Work?
Hair removal creams consist of chemicals known to work on keratin which is the structural ingredient of your hair. When the cream is applied, it causes your hair to break and detach from your skin. Manufacturers of hair removal cream use powerful masking fragrances to eliminate the chemical smell. You may experience allergic or skin irritation due to these fragrances and chemicals.
Chemicals Exist in Hair Removal Cream
It is a good idea to be suitably informed about the ingredients of the cream before you apply them to your skin:
- Barium Sulfide powder and Calcium Thioglycolate are commonly used ingredients in a majority of hair removal creams.
- Top ranking brands too may contain varying quantities of harsh chemicals.
- The keratin in your hair is broken down by the chemicals which isolate the hair from the skin.
- In order to achieve a smooth touch, it may be necessary to apply the creams twice.
Safety Measures for Using Hair Removal Cream When Pregnant
Before using hair removal creams on your body during pregnancy, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Do not use the cream to remove facial hair or on broken skin.
- Check the ingredients of the cream you are about to use if you are unsure about it.
- Read any special notes/directions and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the tube or packet before using the cream.
- When it comes to creams, choose a product that is suitable for sensitive skin. When in doubt, ask your doctor.
- Apply the cream on a tiny patch of skin before using it on other parts of your body. Do this even if you have used the cream prior to your pregnancy.
- While using the cream, make sure the room is properly ventilated as the strong smell can leave you feeling light-headed and nauseous.
- The manufacturer recommends that the cream should be left on the skin for a specific period. Follow this strictly and use a timer if needed.
- Hair removing creams with a strong smell can cause headaches or elicit vomit. It is best to check the powerful smells before you buy one.
- As an alert mother-to-be, speak to your doctor about using creams that will not harm your baby in any manner. This is important during the first trimester when the foetus is undergoing a lot of changes.
Although pregnancy is the most beautiful and rewarding phase of your life, it is important to treat it with caution and care. You will want to socialise and go out with your partner for which you will want to look your best. You should deal with the excessive hair growth in the same manner as other pregnancy-related changes. At the same time, it does not warrant any unnecessary stress and worries so do not blow it out of proportion and treat it with care and common sense. Go ahead and look and feel radiant and beautiful as ever.