Tomato Soup for Babies
When it comes to feeding your baby, you want to pick the best of the best. In some cases, you might notice that your baby may love or hate certain foods you feed him. However, tomatoes are generally loved by all. One such tomato dish that is easy to prepare and serves as the ultimate comfort food is tomatoes. With the below tomato soup recipe, infants are bound to drink it up without any fuss. Tomatoes are a rich source of anti-oxidant lycopene, which imparts the bright red colour to them. Your kids are bound to love this tangy, red soup. Here’s how to make tomato soup for a baby.
|Serves||Preparation Time||Cooking Time|
|2 People||5 Minutes||15 Minutes|
- 4 tomatoes
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup water
Wash, deseed and chop tomatoes into large pieces.
Boil the tomato pieces along with water and let the tomatoes cook with lid closed.
Peel the tomatoes off its skin. Let it cool a little.
Puree the tomatoes with little water.
Heat a pan and add butter to it.
Add the puree to it and let it simmer for 1 minute.
Salt can be added if required. Note: butter has salt in it already.
Tasty and hearty tomato soup is ready to be served. Serve lukewarm.
Serving Size 1 cup (8 fl oz) (244 g)
|Calories||73||Calories from Fat||6|
|Total Fat||0.7g 1%||Saturated Fat||0.2g 1%|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.2g||Monounsaturated Fat||0.2g|
|Sodium||664mg 28%||Potassium||273.28mg 8%|
|Carbohydrates||16g 5%||Dietary Fiber||1.5g 6%|
|Vitamin A||9%||Vitamin C||26%|
*Based on a 2000 calorie diet
1. When Can I Give Tomato Soup to My Baby?
You can offer tomato soup to your baby when you start his journey of eating solid foods, anytime after 6 months of age. Make sure the soup is well cooked and mashed so there are no choking hazards.
2. Is Tomato Soup Good for a Baby’s Cough?
For babies less than 9 months old, you can feed them warm tomato soup without any spices. It will help them stay hydrated and also ease some discomfort associated with cough. If your baby is above 9 months, you can add certain spices like a pinch of pepper, etc.
Tomatoes are the ultimate comfort food for babies. Bright, red, and rich in taste, there are various ways to incorporate them in your baby’s diet, and tomato soup is easy to prepare. Start your baby on his weaning journey with this tasty dish, and it is sure to become his favourite.
1. Tomatoes, red, ripe, cooked; U.S. Department of Agriculture; https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/170050/nutrients
2. Collins. E, Bowyer. C, Tsouza. A, Chopra. M; Tomatoes: An Extensive Review of the Associated Health Impacts of Tomatoes and Factors That Can Affect Their Cultivation; PubMed Central; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8869745/; February 2022
3. Slide show: 10 great health foods; Mayo Clinic; https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/multimedia/health-foods/sls-20076653?s=9; March 2023
4. Feeding your baby: 6–12 months; UNICEF; https://www.unicef.org/parenting/food-nutrition/feeding-your-baby-6-12-months
5. What to feed young children; NHS; https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/baby/weaning-and-feeding/what-to-feed-young-children/; March 2023