Last Updated on
- 1/4 cup seedless Tamarind (Imli)
- 1/2 cup seedless Dates
- 1/2 cup Jaggery (Gud)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 3 cups hot Water
For Tempering (optional)
- 1 Green Chili, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- 1½ teaspoons Cooking Oil
Chop dates and jaggery into small pieces. You can also grate jaggery.
Soak chopped dates, jaggery and tamarind separately in hot water for 10 minutes.
Boil them together over low flame for approx. 8-10 minutes or until dates become soft and tender.
Turn off flame and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Transfer tamarind, dates, jaggery and water to a blender and puree them.
Place strainer over a bowl and pour the puree in to it.
Strain the puree using a spoon through it. Squeeze the residue for leftover pulp.
Discard any residue and transfer the strained puree to a pan.
Add salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala and mix well.
Transfer to a bowl and serve with or without tempering. Tempering is optional and following are the steps for tempering.
Heat oil in a small pan.
Add cumin seeds; when seeds begin to crackle, add chopped green chili, ginger-garlic paste and sesame seeds.
Sauté for 30-40 seconds. Turn off the flame and immediately pour the tempering over prepared chutney, mix well.
Serving size: 1 tbsp
|Total Fat||0 g||Potassium||0 mg|
|Saturated||0 g||Total Carbs||6 g|
|Polyunsaturated||0 g||Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Monounsaturated||0 g||Sugars||5 g|
|Trans||0 g||Protein||0 g|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||Vitamin A||0%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Do not temper if you want to store this chutney.
- Reduce the amount of water to 1 cup to make a thick dip or you can add more water to prepare a diluted dip. Add water to only the needed portion, and not to the whole batch otherwise, it decreases the shelf life of chutney.