In this Article
- Can Strawberries Be Given to Babies?
- When Can Babies Eat Strawberries?
- Nutritional Value of Strawberry
- Are There Any Risks of Giving Strawberries to Your Baby?
- Ways of Giving Strawberries to Babies
- How Many Strawberries Can You Give to Babies Each Time?
- What If Strawberry Seeds are Found in Your Baby’s Diaper?
Strawberries are one of the tastiest fruits that kids simply relish eating. But, whether you should give strawberries to your child or not can be a question. You must be thinking is it safe and healthy to give strawberries to them? There is no doubt that your kids will love the sweet and flavoured taste of a strawberry, but you may be confused about its health benefits.
Can Strawberries Be Given to Babies?
Even though strawberries are one of the most popular fruits in the world, you should be careful before feeding them to babies, as strawberries may cause an allergic reaction to some babies. Hence, it is suggested to avoid giving strawberries to your baby until he is 1-year-old. History of allergies in the family also should be taken into consideration.
When Can Babies Eat Strawberries?
The age at which babies can eat strawberries should be decided considering the risks of allergies. To avoid such problems from an early age, strawberries are only given to them from the age of one year only. Various health organizations agree to let the babies take these berries only after completing one year of age due to the risks they possess.
Nutritional Value of Strawberry
|Nutrients||Nutritive value per 100 g|
|Vitamin A||0.036 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.047 mg|
|Vitamin C||58.8 mg|
|Vitamin K||2.2 ug|
|Vitamin E||0.29 mg|
The table shows that the tasty berries are not only good for your taste buds but are also a great source of nutrition. They are a rich source of vitamins and nutrients which makes them tastier and delicious. Apart from the allergies, they are the best choice for your infants as a delicious treat.
Amazing Health Benefits of Strawberry for Babies
As a good parent, we always want the best for our baby; especially, when they are very young. Strawberries are one of the best choices for your kids with many benefits to offer.
- Rich Source of Vitamin C: Vitamin C has to be obtained from external sources as our body cannot process it on its own. Strawberries are a good source of Vitamin C which helps in building immunity and in fighting eye diseases.
- Good Source of Calcium and Phosphorus: Calcium is vital for bone development in a child. It also helps in the functioning of the heart, muscles, and the nerves. Phosphorous can improve digestion, help repair cells, break down protein, and is responsible for regulating the chemical reactions that transpire in your body.
- Protects Liver: Strawberries are rich in antioxidants which can lower oxidative stress and prevent damage to your liver.
- Good Source of Folate: Folic acid or folate is imperative for the brain development of the child. It also aids in the production of red blood cells in the body.
Are There Any Risks of Giving Strawberries to Your Baby?
Well in simple and plain words – Yes – there are some risks that need to be considered while feeding strawberries to a baby which are as follows:
- Choking: Strawberries are very tasty and have a soft and slippery skin. So often kids gulp it down without chewing. This may cause choking. Hence you have to warn them to chew a strawberry or slice it before eating.
- Allergic Reactions: Your child may be allergic to strawberries and you might have to consider the possibility of this before feeding strawberries. Some families have a history of allergies to food or asthma. In such cases, it is better to consult a doctor before giving it to a child. Signs of strawberry allergy in babies can be, swelling of the face, tongue, or throat. Rashes on the skin just because of the contact with strawberry are also to be treated with care.
Ways of Giving Strawberries to Babies
After finding out when to eat the strawberries, you might want to know how to feed them. You can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Look for the signs that your baby is ready: Specific signs are to be confirmed before giving strawberries to your child. Head control, ability to sit with support, chewing motions, weight gain, curiosity in what mom is eating, these are some signs which will help you understand whether kids are ready or not.
- Cut into small pieces: To avoid the chances of choking, it is better to cut it into smaller pieces before feeding it to your baby.
- Puree Strawberries: Introducing a whole fruit to your baby is not a good idea. Hence, you need to puree strawberries and add them to oat milk or pudding as they like. This might be the perfect strawberry recipe for babies.
- Waiting for three days: This helps to get an idea if a fruit or food is causing an allergy or not. You have to take a break of three days before introducing new food items.
How Many Strawberries Can You Give to Babies Each Time?
Considering the age, they should not be given more than a quarter or a half of a strawberry in the beginning. Always keep in mind to mix up the diet with all nutritious food. Fruits alone cannot help a child gain all the nutrition needed.
What If Strawberry Seeds are Found in Your Baby’s Diaper?
If you find strawberry seeds in the diaper of your baby, it is just an indication of a problem with the digestion. There is no need to worry about the same and is not a cause for alarm.
Strawberries are no doubt tasty and beneficial, but you have to keep in mind all the facts before introducing them into your baby’s diet.
Also Read: Is Banana Good for Babies?