In this Article
Last Updated on
Babies grow up really fast and before you know it, they are ready to eat solid foods. As a mother, you will be sceptical about introducing various kinds of foods to your baby. Potatoes are loved by all and you may think if potatoes can be introduced to babies or not. We all love to eat potatoes and no doubt babies will like it too, but the question is if they are safe enough to be given to babies. In the following article, we shall be discussing various health benefits of potatoes, and we shall also be sharing some quick recipes of potatoes for your little munchkin.
When to Introduce Potatoes in a Baby’s Diet
Potatoes are available in almost all parts of the world. They are rich in carbohydrates and provide ample energy to your growing baby. It is one of the safest vegetables that may be introduced as an early food to your baby. However, it is low in nutrition and high in calories, which may make it little difficult to digest if your baby is not moving much. Therefore, ideally, potatoes should be introduced to babies at around 7 to 10 months of age, when they are more active.
Nutritional Value of a Potato
Potatoes are power-packed with nutrition and here’s what your baby can get from one medium-sized potato:
|Vitamin C||19.7 mg|
|Vitamin A||2 IU|
The above-mentioned are the approximate values present in one medium-sized potato, and these may vary as per the size and quantity of a potato.
Health Benefits of Potatoes for Babies
Potatoes are good for your baby’s health and here are some benefits that your baby may derive from potatoes:
1. Good for a Baby’s Gastrointestinal Health
Potatoes help develop the gastrointestinal health of a baby. Potatoes assist in the growth of friendly bacteria. The substantial amounts of alkaline sugars in potatoes keep the acid levels down in your baby’s body and thus keep acidity at bay.
2. Lowers the Chance of Infections
Some varieties of potatoes such as red-fleshed potatoes are loaded with anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are a type of biochemical which is proved to have antiviral properties. These help in fighting various infections like influenza. Therefore, adding potatoes to a baby’s diet can keep the risks of infections at bay.
3. Good for the Health of Liver
Not only the pulpy potato but the peel of the potato is also effective in protecting your baby from various ailments. Potatoes are good for the health of the liver of a baby and protect it from various kinds of chemical damages too.
4. Heals Insect Bites or Bug Bites
Gently rubbing the slices of a potato on an insect bite or bug bite can reduce the inflammation and can help reduce the symptoms of dermatitis.
5. Good for the Skin
The presence of starch, vitamin C, and various enzymes not only protects the skin but also provides nourishment to your baby’s skin.
How to Give Potatoes to an Infant
Potatoes are healthy for a baby. However, you need to note the following points before giving a potato to your baby:
1. Clean and Peel the Potatoes Thoroughly
Potatoes are grown underground, and therefore it is very important that you get rid of all the dirt and pesticides before giving it to your baby. Make sure you peel the skin and wash it nicely too.
2. Start Small
Babies like the taste of potatoes but that does not mean that you give them as much as they like. Potatoes are rich in starch, hence it will be difficult for him to digest if given too much. Therefore, begin by giving a few spoons of mashed potato only.
3. Give Steamed or Baked Potatoes
Give steamed or baked potatoes to your baby. This is because when you boil the potatoes, most of its nutrients are lost. You may steam and mash the potatoes and give it your baby.
Video: How to Make Potato Puree for Babies?
Potato Puree Recipe for a Baby
The best way to give potatoes to a baby is in the pureed form. So, here is the recipe to make potato puree for your baby.
- 2-3 potatoes
- Take the potatoes, wash them thoroughly, and peel off the skin.
- Cut the potatoes into small chunks.
- Take a steamer basket and place the chunks on it. Take water in the saucepan, but not too much.
- Steam the potatoes; keep checking the water. If required, add some more water.
- After this, take it off from the flame and puree them in the mixer. Do not make a paste, keep a nice consistency.
- You may add the leftover water to reach the desired consistency.
- Potatoe puree is ready.
Other Potato Recipes for Infants
Apart from the above-mentioned pure potato puree, you can try some variations too. If you like, you can add various other vegetables along with potato to give some texture and increase the nutritional value. Here are some more potato recipes that you can try for your baby:
1. Broccoli and Potato Puree
This is a mashed potato recipe with a twist and it is definitely a nutritious option for your baby. Here’s how you can make it.
- Broccoli florets
- Take the potatoes, wash, and peel them.
- Take the broccoli florets and wash them nicely.
- Take a steamer and place broccoli florets and potato chunks on it.
- Put some water and steam the vegetables.
- Put steamed vegetables into the mixer to mash them.
- You can add some water for a nice consistency.
- Empty the puree in a bowl and serve warm.
2. Potato and Squash Puree
This recipe is an ideal baby food for babies who are older than 6 months.
- 1 acorn or butternut squash
- 3 to 4 medium-sized potatoes
- Take squash and potatoes, clean them, and cut into small chunks.
- Alternately, you can bake the squash and potatoes in the oven.
- Once done, puree them to form a smooth consistency, and feed your baby.
Potatoes are generally one of the first foods of babies. You may include this amazing vegetable in your baby’s diet. However, it is strictly recommended that you should not give any solid foods to a baby before six months of age. If you wish to include potatoes in your baby’s diet, it is suggested that you consult a doctor first. Once your doctor gives you a heads up, you can feed potatoes to your baby in the mashed or pureed form. However, do not feed him too much.
Also Read: Sweet Potatoes for Babies