Last Updated on
Peanut butter is healthy and tasty, and makes for a healthy spread on bread slices. If you love eating peanut butter, chances are you will want to eat it now that you are pregnant. It’s healthy and tasty, but you will want to know if you can consume it during pregnancy. Many people say that eating peanuts is best avoided during pregnancy as consuming peanuts or peanut butter during pregnancy on a daily basis can result in children being born with peanut allergies. But is it true? Let’s find out!
Is Eating Peanut Butter Safe While Pregnant?
You can eat peanut butter during pregnancy if you have no sensitivity towards peanuts or peanut butter, you can consume it. Peanuts are highly nutritious and are good for unborn born babies too. However, if you are even remotely sensitive or allergic to peanuts, do not eat them. It can prove to be harmful to the baby because of the effect it has on the mother.
Allergies are defined as a deformity of the immune system. The chances of a child developing an allergy when the parents have an allergy are high. They are more prone than children without a hereditary of allergies. Children will not inherit the same allergy. The body will inherit the information of being sensitive to certain elements but will not read exactly the right elements. For e.g., you or your spouse may have a peanut allergy, but your children may simply inherit an allergy to pollen and may happily eat their peanut butter all day. It is important to remember that it is parents whose allergies can be hereditary and not just mothers. So, mothers, if you have no allergic reactions to peanut butter, it is actually good for you. Thus, if you consume them, there will be no side effects of peanut butter during pregnancy.
Benefits of Peanut Butter in Pregnancy
Peanut butter is nothing but butter of the legumes peanut. This is high in nutrition and is a good food source for anybody. It also specifically aids in pregnancy.
- Aids in the development of foetus: Folate and folic acid are important in the development of the foetus. Peanuts are rich in folate and folic acid it is advisable to consume them. 100 gms of peanut butter will take care of 60% of folate intake during pregnancy. Two tablespoons of the butter have 76 mcg of folic acid. This helps in controlling birth defects, development of the brain and overall development of the baby.
- Natural protein: Protein is essential for a mother during pregnancy and 100 gram of peanuts contain quite high protein to fulfil the daily intake. Especially for vegetarians whose natural source of protein is limited, organic or home-made peanut butter becomes a good source of daily protein intake.
- Bone building: Pregnant woman loses a lot of calcium in those nine months and even afterwards. Peanut butter is rich in calcium and is known to build good bones for babies and mothers alike.
- Improves the immune system: Peanut butter is rich in iron, vitamins, and minerals. It has Vitamin E and flu-fighting antioxidants which strengthen the immune system. A very important element for pregnant women who are prone to fall ill or are weak.
Who Should Avoid Peanut Butter?
When pregnant, peanut butter is not always good food especially if you are allergic to it. Well, it is not as easy as you think. Peanut butter allergy can vary from peanut intolerance to peanut allergy. No matter how severe (less or more) your reactions are.
- Peanut sensitivity: If you have observed that eating peanuts have caused minute gas or indigestion problems, its best to avoid peanuts during pregnancy simple to stop further inconvenience to self.
- Past Allergic reactions: If you have had past allergic reactions to peanut or peanut butter ingredients, it is best to completely avoid it for life and especially during pregnancy.
- Prone to increase in weight during Pregnancy: If your doctor or health practitioner has warned you about your rapid increase in weight, its best to avoid nuts and butter of any kind. These are high in caloric value. Just a tablespoon of peanut butter will be close to 100 calories.
Peanut butter is essentially good food. Just try to make it an organic buy or homemade, if you wish to consume the food on a regular basis. Again, remember that these foods can always be supplemented with some other food if you are uncomfortable. But if eating peanut butter brings immense joy, go for it and make yourself and your baby happy!
Also Read: Foods to Eat for Intelligent Baby