In this Article
World Smile Day was an initiative by Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Worcester, Massachusetts. Ball created the smiley face in 1963 – an image that went on to become the most recognisable symbol of good will and good cheer on the planet. So, he declared ‘World Smile Day’ to further this emotion.
When Is World Smile Day?
Harvey Ball announced in 1999 that the first Friday in October of each year will be celebrated as World Smile Day. Since then, it has continued every year in Smiley’s hometown of Worcester, MA, as well as around the world.
Why Is World Smile Day Celebrated?
Harvey Ball wanted us to devote one day to do simple acts of kindness around us. His idea was that for at least one day each year, we should all share a genuine smile crossing all the boundaries. Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation was established in 2001 to honour the name and memory of Harvey Ball, the artist who in 1963 created that international symbol of goodwill, the smiley face. The motto of the Smile Foundation is “enhancing this world, one smile at at time”. Up to this day, the foundation proceeds as the official patron of World Smile Day every year. The day is about the complete demonstration of generosity and helps an individual smile.
How Is International Smile Day Celebrated Around The World?
The World Smile day activities that take place around the world are listed below:
- The Worcester Historical Society celebrates this day by throwing a ball every year since 2000. The ball houses smiley faced themed events and exhibits and hosts the Harvey Ball Smile Award.
- Hot air balloon races
- Balloon releases bearing WSD messages
- Choral performances
- College acapella concerts
- Recognising student WSD ambassadors
- ‘Where’s the smiley’ contest
- Sidewalk chalk art competitions
- Pie eating contests
- Circus performers and the elephants
- Around the world, people celebrate World Smile Day in fun and creative ways that include attempts to break the record for largest human smiley faces
- Delivering meals and smiley treats to needy
- Smile events in hospitals
- Making videos and many more fun activities that can make a person smile.
How Can You Celebrate International Smile Day?
Here are a few World Smile Day ideas listed below.
- Reach out to different schools and request them to conduct drawing and art competitions among the students depicting the topic “World Smile Day”.
- Giving a simple smile means a lot to our health too. The nerves in our body are relaxed. This would make us physically and mentally healthy too. These health benefits can be conveyed to others on this day.
- A smile is an outcome of positive thoughts. So, this will enhance our positive thinking capabilities. So, an event can be conducted where people can share their experiences by celebrating World Smile Day.
- Events such as giving free meals to needy children and buying them games are gestures to bring a smile on their faces.
- We can reach out to daily wage workers and give them a break from their workplace by conducting fun games, which would put a smile on their face. They would relish these moments in their lifetime too.
World Smile Day Quotes
There are few quotations on World Smile Day numbered below:
- Smile in the mirror. Do that every morning and you’ll start to see a big difference in your life. – Yoko Ono
- Beauty is power; smile is its sword. – John Ray
- I wake up every morning literally with a smile on my face, grateful for another day I never thought I’d see. – Dick Cheney
- People seldom notice old clothes if you wear a big smile. – Lee Mildon
- Show me a smile, and I’ll show you one back. – Vanilla Ice
- Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. – Mother Theresa
- I get home and my son is smiling or he comes running to me. It has just made me grow as an individual and grow as a man. – LeBron James
- I’ve got nothing to do today but smile. – Paul Simon
- Before you put on a frown, make absolutely sure there are no smiles available. – Jim Beggs
- Nothing beats a great smile. – Karl Urban
- Your smile will give you a positive countenance that will make people feel comfortable around you. – Les Brown
- If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it. – Andy Rooney
- When I look out at the people and they look at me and they’re smiling, then I know that I’m loved. That is the time when I have no worries, no problems. – Etta James
- Let us always meet each other with the smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. – Mother Teresa
- A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” – William Arthur War
- A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. – Phyllis Diller
- A smile is happiness you’ll find right under your nose. – Tom Wilson
- Share your smile with the world. It’s a symbol of friendship and peace. – Christie Brinkley
- Let my soul smile through my heart and my heart smile through my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts. – Paramahamsa Yogananda
- Nothing you wear is more important that your smile. – Connie Stevens
Every country can celebrate a National Smile Day in their own region by including all types of folks and conducting innovative events to get a smile on all their faces. Let us all unite together with a simple smile on this Happy Smile Day and also take a step forward to bring a smile on other’s faces too.