Pimples on the chin are very common and they appear because of hormonal imbalance in the body. They look ugly and are painful. If you are searching for ways to get rid of them, we are here to help. In this post, we shall be discussing some effective ways to get rid of stubborn acne or pimples on the chin.
What Causes Acne on the Chin?
Before we move ahead to discuss the ways to treat hormonal acne on chin, it is important to establish the reasons for the same. Well, following are some causes that can result in acne on the chin:
Psychological stress is one of the major factors that may result in this condition. When you become stressed, the sebum production increases which can lead to acne on your face and chin. Also, a lack of sleep can also lead to stress and insulin resistance, which can result in an acne bout.
If you notice sudden eruptions on your chin that is close to your period date, it is possibly due to the increased levels of progesterone and estrogen in the body. Both these hormones can lead to excess production of oil because the increased level of hormones triggers the sebaceous glands.
3. Taking Birth Control Pills
If you are taking birth control pills, it can lead to decreased levels of androgen in the body. However, when you stop taking the pills, these levels can hike leading to excess production of sebum and thus acne breakouts.
How to Get Rid of Pimples on the Chin
Here are some common ways of treating pimples under the chin or on the chin:
There are many medical treatment options available; however, your doctor may recommend you the one that is best suited for you. Some of the options include the following:
1. Antibiotics: Oral antibiotic medicines can be given to reduce the intensity and prevent the condition from aggravating.
2. Topical Ointments: There are many creams, gels and ointments available that can help in easing the inflammation, unclogging the pores, reducing the redness, etc.
3. Laser or Light Therapy: One of the most effective treatment options for curing mild to moderate acne is through laser or light therapy. This non-invasive method for treating acne kills the bacteria and helps reduce skin inflammation.
4. Contraceptive Pills: If there is a severe hormonal imbalance, your doctor may prescribed birth control pills to regulate the hormonal imbalance which leads to acne on the chin.
5. Surgical Extraction: Sometimes, the acne may become cystic and the nodules may become large, which may lead to intense pain. Under such circumstances, the doctor may recommend surgical removal of acne.
6. Chemical Peels: A qualified skin care specialist or a doctor can perform this treatment that involves reducing the appearance of acne, acne scars, pimples and blackhead by using chemical peels.
7. Accutane: Usually, when other resorts fail to work or do not lead to satisfying results, your doctor may recommend this medication to cure your acne bout.
Apart from opting for medical treatment, you can also make certain dietary changes to improve your condition or keep this ailment at bay. Here are a few dietary tips that you should keep in mind:
1. Eat Green Veggies: Including green veggies like broccoli, spinach, kale etc. in your diet can help cleanse the toxins and bacteria from the bloodstream and digestive tract.
2. Eat Foods Rich in Probiotics: Including foods such as yoghurt, kimchi and other such foods that are loaded with probiotics are great for keeping oxidative stress and inflammation under control.
3. Include Foods Rich In Beta-Carotene: Beta-carotene is part of Vitamin A that is present in many food items that you consume. It gets converted into retinol by your body for promoting healthy cell growth, for balancing the collagen levels, and other such functions. Therefore, including foods such as mango, carrots, apricots etc. is a great idea for keeping acne under control.
4. Include Foods Rich in Zinc: Zinc is an effective ingredient that helps in killing the acne-causing bacteria. Include foods such as chicken, shellfish, nuts, etc. to increase the zinc levels in your body.
Some Other Tips That You Can Try
Here are some other remedies for pimples on the chin that you can try:
1. Apply Ice: Apply ice on the acne lesions as it may help in reducing the pain and inflammation.
2. Do Not Touch or Prick: Do not touch the acne as it may increase the infection and aggravate the condition. Never pop or squeeze the acne as it can not only make it worse, but it may also lead to acne scars.
3. Use a Mild Cleanser: Use a mild cleanser to wash your wash. Opt for the ones that contain glycolic acid, salicylic acid, or benzoyl peroxide.
4. Clean Your Cell Phone: Your phone is not something that will cause acne, but if it is dirty, it may aggravate your condition. This is because the bacteria present on the screen can get in contact with the skin and worsen the cystic acne on chin and jawline.
5. Apply Acne Ointments: If the bout of acne is not very severe, you can opt for any good OTC medicine to control the inflammation.
How to Prevent Acne on the Chin
Here are some ways of preventing pimples under the chin or on the chin:
- Do not wash your face for more than two to three times a day. Excess washing may lead to dry skin, which can make your skin to produce more oil.
- Do not use harsh chemical products on your skin as it can worsen the acne bout.
- If you are using an alcohol-based cleanser, astringent, or other such products that can make your skin dry, make sure to moisturise your skin with a gentle moisturiser to prevent dryness.
- Avoid using heavy makeup. If you have to use makeup, make sure you remove it nicely and there are no traces of makeup on the skin.
- Never touch, pop, or press the pimples and it can flare up the condition.
- Do not change your treatment frequently. If you have opted for a certain treatment option, stick to it for a few weeks to see the result before you opt for another one.
- Refrain from consuming foods and drinks that can aggravate your acne. Make sure you opt for healthier food options.
- Use products that will not lead to clogged pores.
- Make sure you wear an oil-free sunscreen on a daily basis.
Chin acne is not a very complicated problem and can be managed effectively by making certain changes in the diet and lifestyle. If these tips do not work, you should consult a good dermatologist for the best treatment options.