In this Article
Every woman feels attractive when she adds a dash of colour to her lips. Though lipsticks add a touch of glamour to your personality, they have severe side effects too. Lip glosses and lip liners contain potentially harmful levels of cadmium, aluminum, chromium, lead, etc. Read about how lipsticks are harming you.
What Are the Dangerous Ingredients Found in Lipsticks?
Some of these dangerous ingredients are found in the lipstick you use every day.
- Phthalates can prove disruptive to the endocrine system, which produces hormones. Developmental, neurological and reproductive damages can occur due to exposure to phthalates.
- All of us know very well how harmful lead can be as a makeup component. It definitely harms health in the long run.
- Polyethylene glycols are petroleum-based compounds found commonly in cream based products. This is very harmful to the nervous system.
- Parabens are the preservatives used in cosmetics and they easily penetrate the skin. These have acquired a bad reputation for causing depression, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
- Siloxanes are known to disrupt the endocrine system and are also toxic to the reproductive system. All of these can cause massive health risks.
Harmful Effects of Lipsticks
There are many health risks associated with lipstick. If the preservatives used in lipstick surpass the acceptable level, then it causes harm to the person such as:
1. Toxin Ingestion
Toxicity is caused when manganese, cadmium, chromium, and aluminum accumulate in the body. Women ingest them while eating, accidentally. While buying lipstick, you should ensure that it is a quality product which is free of such ingredients.
2. Skin Allergies
A chemical called bismuth oxychloride is used to preserve lipsticks. The carcinogenic property of this ingredient is extremely harmful and can cause allergies.
The preservatives used in lipsticks can cause major damage such as skin irritation, wheezing, coughing, and irritation of the eyes. One should be cautious as some lipstick brands can cause cancer.
4. Disrupted Endocrine System
All lipsticks contain petrochemicals which are a source of major health. Endocrine disruption can hinder growth, intelligence, reproduction, and development. It should not be forgotten that petrochemicals are a by-product of natural gas and crude oil.
5. Affected Nervous System
A common component of most of the lipsticks is lead. It is also known to cause hormonal imbalance and brain damage. The neurotoxin present in them causes degeneration of the neurvous system.
6. Renal Failure
The heavy metals present in lipsticks can cause organ damage and dangerous diseases. Very high content of cadmium causes renal failure. Stomach tumours are caused by frequent application of lipstick.
What You Can Do To Minimize These Effects?
Every problem has a solution. Some safer alternatives can minimize the harmful effects of lipstick. Certain tips given below should be borne in mind by frequent lipstick users.
- Heavy metals are sure to be in excess in the darker shades of lipsticks. So, go for lighter shades.
- A base of petroleum jelly can lessen the harmful effects of the chemicals present in the lipstick.
- Go for homemade lipsticks in order to avoid the side effects of chemicals.
- During pregnancy, you must avoid wearing chemical lipsticks as they can cause severe damage to the unborn baby in the mother’s womb. Instead, go for herbal ones.
- Lipsticks should always be kept for special occasions and not applied frequently.
- The harsh chemicals of lipsticks can cause severe damage to the skin around and so you must exfoliate the skin at least 2 – 3 times a week. Lipsticks should be avoided as far as possible to prevent it from damaging lips.
- No matter how attractive a local brand lipstick may look, you must not buy cheap products as they pose more harm than lipsticks of reputed brands.
- A good quality makeup remover should be used to remove and wipe off the lipstick before hitting the bed.
- Buy lipsticks that are organic and natural.
For ensuring better internal health, it is important to find safer options to use. If you make a conscious effort to find the right choices, you will not have to regret later. All said and done, there is no denying that it makes a woman feel empowered and also unleashes her femininity.