National Book Lovers Day 2023 – History and Significance
From the smell of a rare first edition book in an old library to a crisp, fresh new book at the neighborhood bookstore, the sight of a book can bring back memories. As a child, you may have enjoyed reading short stories or long books, poetry or adventure stories, and could completely lose yourself in an exciting or powerful story. If you can relate to all of these, then National Book Lovers Day is just for you!
National Book Lovers Day, celebrated on 9th August every year, harnesses all the joy bibliophiles feel about books into one large celebration. A special day for all those passionate about reading, this day encourages you to find your favourite reading spot and a good book, and read the day away!
What Is Book Lovers Day?
National Book Lovers Day commemorates the power of books and the reader in all of us. It is an unofficial holiday that encourages everyone to pick up a book and spend the day reading. This is the perfect day to honor all the book lovers and bookworms in your life. And if you are a book lover yourself, then dedicate some quality reading time to yourself.
History of Book Lovers Day
While the day’s origins may not be known, the origin of the book certainly is. It all started as carvings on stone tablets. The book was then designed to make the writings and illustrations portable for those authors who found it inconvenient to carry around stone tablets. Books were originally made of parchment or calfskin and were bound tightly with wooden covers.
Often the wooden cover was tightly bound in leather to prevent the wood from getting wet and rotted and had straps or clasps to keep it closed. In the more modern era, printing capabilities have made books easier and cheaper to print. The typewriter, the printing press, and the computer have all had an impact on the market of books.
But what’s noteworthy is the increase in the number of electronic devices on which books can be read. Computers, cell phones, and tablets now have the ability to carry books, making it that much effortless to carry around your very own small library to enjoy, no matter where you are!
Why Is Book Lovers Day Celebrated?
The celebration of this special day is especially important for bookworms. Books have become so unique and supportive in our lives, we must go through the day respecting the books we have. It is a day dedicated to reading the books you haven’t read yet, or simply re-reading your favorite stories.
How to Celebrate Book Lovers Day
Given that this is one of the happiest days of the year, here are some of the best ways to celebrate this day!
- Start a book club.
- Write a review of a book you love. Reader reviews can make a big difference in an author’s career.
- Visit your local library.
- Donate old books to the library, a school, or an orphanage.
- Shop for a new book to read.
- Explore the shelves of second-hand book stores. You might find something rare that might become the highlight of your collection.
- Browse through online book stores. Their stock will definitely include diverse subjects, and collectible items, too!
- Read a story to a child.
- Gift a book to someone.
- Re-read a book that made you emotional. It’s cathartic.
- Pick up a classic book you’ve wanted to read for years.
- Cuddle your darling pet while reading.
- Feel like you don’t have enough time to read? Try reading a graphic novel.
- Try your hand at writing a book or story.
- If your workplace has a waiting room, fill it with books, including picture books for young readers and visitors.
- Make a resolution to set aside some amount of time each day for reading.
- Gift someone a book for their birthday or anniversary.
- Create a cozy reading nook in your home.
- Try reading a book in a format that you don’t usually use – digital audiobooks, eBooks, a printed book, or even books on CD.
- Read a book from a new genre.
- Make sure your children see you reading for fun. They’re more likely to develop a passion for reading that way.
- Watch a movie adaptation of a good book.
- Read the book that your favorite movie adaptation is based on.
- Recommend books to your friends and acquaintances.
- Volunteer to read to seniors at a nursing home.
Books are the purest form of escapism. They can transport you to any place, time, or culture. In honor of National Book Lovers Day on 9th August, put away your cell phones, pull out a good book, and just read. (Well, an audiobook will work great, too!)