Muesli or Oats – Which is Better for Weight Loss?
Muesli and oats are both healthy breakfast items. If you are trying to lose weight, we know you must be including a bowl of oats or a bowl of muesli in your breakfast regularly. Some of you might be having both – which is fine! But do you know which one is healthier? Find out!
What is Muesli?
Muesli is a combination of whole grains, seeds, dried fruits, and nuts. It is a healthy and cold breakfast cereal. Muesli is rich in protein, fibre, and other nutrients, all of which promote weight loss.
The table given below describes the nutritional contents in a serving of 100 grams of muesli with dried fruits and nuts:
|Total Fat||4.9 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.8 g|
|Dietary Fibre||7.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||77.8 g|
With inputs from: https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/7540/2
Benefits of Eating Muesli
Mentioned below are the benefits of eating muesli:
- It promotes digestion – Muesli is high in fibre and whole grains both of which are good for digestion. Fibres can keep your digestive tract in check.
- It helps improve metabolism – Muesli, being rich in fibre and whole grains keep your digestive system on track but it also keeps your tummy full for longer. Furthermore, raw oats in muesli contain resistant starch which takes longer to digest. It keeps your stomach full for long and speeds up the metabolic rate making you burn more calories in less time.
- It is good for the heart – Eating muesli regularly can improve your heart health can improve significantly. Muesli contains oat bran which has fibre beta-glucan. Beta-glucan can help lower cholesterol by 10%.
- It promotes weight loss – Muesli is low in sugar and contains fewer calories. The sweetness in muesli comes from the fruits, which are healthy and nutritious. Thus by eating it, you don’t add pounds but lose weight.
What Are Oats?
Oats are a whole-grain food, commonly eaten as breakfast in the form of oatmeal. Oats are extremely nutritious. Oatmeal which is made by boiling oats in water or milk is one of the popular healthy breakfast options. Most people who are trying to lose weight include this in their weight loss diet. Oats are also included in granola bars, cookies, baked goods, etc.
The table given below presents the nutritional content in a serving of 100 grams of oats:
|Total Fat||6.9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.1 g|
|Dietary Fibre||9.4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||68.2 g|
With inputs from – https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/7298/2
Benefits of Eating Oats
Here are some of the benefits of including oats in your diet:
- It is good for the heart – Oats are rich in antioxidants and dietary fibres which help in preventing heart diseases and lowering the bad cholesterol.
- It promotes digestion – Since oats are high on soluble and insoluble fibres, eating it prevents constipation and furthers the digestion process.
- Maintains sugar levels – Eating oats also helps lower blood sugar levels. The presence of beta-glucan in oats improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels.
- Promotes weight loss – Eating oats also promotes weight loss. Oats are packed with nutrients like healthy carbs and fibres which can help you keep full for longer. Thus you won’t reach for unhealthy foods. It curbs the craving to eat unhealthy which thus promotes weight loss.
- Regulates blood pressure – Oats are a rich source of magnesium which regulates blood pressure by helping the blood vessels to relax and prevents strokes and heart attacks.
Muesli or Oats – Which Is Better for Weight Loss?
There is not much difference between muesli and oats. While both are very healthy and nutritious, oats get some extra browny points since there is no added sugar in them. A few varieties of muesli may contain ingredients toasted in oil and loads of sugar which makes it unhealthy when compared with oats. Moreover, the nutritional content in oats is just perfect and helps in losing weight faster.
So what are you waiting for? Now that you are aware of the benefits of both, include it in your breakfast right away and get a healthy body soon.
How to Lose Weight Without Diet or Exercise
Best Fat Burning Foods for Weight Loss
How to Lose Weight Fast