Mustard gives a nice, tangy flavor to your burger, sandwiches, and hot dogs. But dropping this bright yellow mustard on your clothes can be pretty disastrous. Mustard sauce is made of mustard seeds and turmeric, which gives it a brighter tone and leaving behind these nasty stains, especially when it has dried up. It is tough to eradicate those mustard stains. That’s the reason it’s imperative to wash as soon as you get your clothes stained. The first and foremost thing you should do is to scrape off the excess mustard from the spoon. One should always read the tag on your clothes and check whether it is a washable garment or a dry clean only garment and act accordingly. So below are mentioned the answers for removing the mustard stain from different fabrics, which can be a total game-changer for your wardrobe.
How to get Mustard Stains out of Washable Clothes?
Mustard sauce leaves a nasty stain because it has turmeric in it. The yellow pigment present in the mustard can dye fibers, so it is vital to remove the stain as soon as possible.
- Start by removing any mustard solids that remain on your stained garment.
- Use a paper napkin to skip and swipe the stain, as it will be easier for you to remove the stain.
- Then blot the stain with a wet white cloth or napkin. By doing this, you will be able to dilute the mustard, which will further help you remove it properly.
- Another way to get mustard out of a shirt is to use plain rubbing alcohol or non-sudsing household ammonia on the stain and rinse it well. If the stain persists, then use a solvent-based stain remover to treat it.
- If you don’t have a stain remover at home, use a small amount of heavy-duty liquid detergents to remove stains.
- Use highly rated heavy-duty liquid detergents only and allow them to work on your fabric for at least fifteen minutes.
- Next, wash the garment as recommended on the care label.
- Do check the stain before drying the garment for the stain. If it is still there, wash it with a mix of oxygen-based bleach in lukewarm water and follow the package instructions.
- Keep the garment in the solution for four hours or overnight, and then launder it according to you.
- If the stain remains, repeat the process till you get desired results.
How to get Mustard Stains out of Dry Clean Only Clothes?
Removing stains from delicate fabrics that one should only clean through dry-cleaning is a challenging task. However, these methods have you covered!
- The first thing you should do before taking the mustard stain out is to check whether it is a washable cloth or a dry-clean-only cloth.
- After that, try to remove as much of the mustard solids you can from the stain.
- Then take a white towel, dip it in water, and dab it on the stain.
- After this process, take it to the dry cleaner as soon as possible.
- A tiny mustard stain can be cleaned using a home dry cleaning kit.
- Use the stain remover before putting your garment in the dryer bag.
How to get Mustard Stains out of Carpet and Upholstery?
Everyone dreads stains on carpets since they are difficult to remove and look horrible. Thus, knowing how to remove mustard stains from your carpet and upholstery is crucial. If you have dropped mustard on such fabrics, you can follow these steps:
- Don’t wait for the stain to stay long on the carpet; treat it as soon as possible. If the mustard stain gets dry, put a fresh dollop on the stain and wait for five minutes. It will speed up the process by keeping the stain moist and not letting mustard spread on adding water.
- Then, with the help of a dull knife, pick up the mustard blob from the carpet. Remember, never rub the mustard as it will make the stain more difficult to remove.
- Take a tablespoon of dishwasher and two cups of warm water.
- Dip a clean white cloth in the mix and dab the stain continuously with the clean side until the mustard stain gets transferred to the fabric.
- Then blot up any moisture with a white towel and keep repeating the detergent solution until no more mustard stain is transferred to the wet cloth.
- End it by rinsing the stained area with plain water.
- Lastly, if the stain is gone, let the carpet air dry from direct heat.
- If the stain is still there, move to the next step.
- Mix a solution of oxygen bleach and cold water and follow the package instructions.
- Use a brush to apply the solution on the carpet and let it settle there for one hour, and later rinse it with cold water on a cloth.
- Repeat the same steps if the stain is still there, and lastly, dry the carpet and vacuum it to lift carpet fibers.
To remove the mustard stains from upholstery, use the exact cleaning procedure and methods suggested for carpets. But keep in mind that do not over-wet the fabric and allow the upholstery to dry from sunlight and direct heat.
Be it mustard or ketchup, they make our food delicious, but it isn’t easy at all to remove mustard stain from linen, cotton, or any other fabric. Nevertheless, it’s not impossible to remove it. Use the above methods to remove the mustard blob from your favorite clothes. The best way to remove the nasty yellow stain is to act as soon as possible. Dried mustard stains are hard to remove. So follow our steps and make your clothes look good as new.
1. How to get rid of mustard stains from Sweaters?
If it’s a woolen garment, scrape off the extra mustard blot. After that, use a dry-cleaning solvent. If it works, then fine; if not, try out a wet spotter and later rinse it with water. If it’s a washable sweater, apply a spot-remover first, then use liquid detergent, and finally, rinse it.
2. How can I remove mustard stains from denim?
The best way to remove the mustard stain from Denims is to treat it with a liquid laundry agent. Let the denim absorb the laundry agent for 15 minutes, and after that, toss the item to the machine and wash it. If the mark is washed off, dry your jeans. But, if the spot is still there, use hydrogen peroxide and repeat the above process.
- Hydrogen peroxide might remove the color of your denim, so be a little cautious.
- Use Borax solution as per the instructions and soak the denim for several hours to get rid of dried mustard stains.
- If you want to remove mustard stains from white denim, use a bleaching agent or apply a stain-removing agent.